Epidemic of illicit drug use, mechanisms of action/addiction and stroke as a health hazard
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 44–54, September 2011
Total views since publication: 1645
How to Cite
Esse, K., Fossati-Bellani, M., Traylor, A. and Martin-Schild, S. (2011), Epidemic of illicit drug use, mechanisms of action/addiction and stroke as a health hazard. Brain and Behavior, 1: 44–54. doi: 10.1002/brb3.7
- Issue published online: 29 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011
- Received: 18 April 2011; Accepted: 02 May 2011
- 2010. Neurologic effects of cocaine: eMedicine neurology. [homepage on the Internet]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1174408-overview and .
- 1999. Methamphetamine and the expanding complications of amphetamines. West J. Med. 170:214–219. , , and .
- 2007. Amphetamines and Derivatives. In: M. Shannon, S. W. Borron, and M. Burns, editors. Haddad and Winchester's clinical management of poisoning and drug overdose [Internet]. 4th ed. Philadephia (PA) : Saunders Elsevier. Available from MD Consult. , , and .
- 1981. Phencyclidine, lysergic acid diethylamide, and mescaline: cerebral artery spasms and hallucinogenic activity. Science 212:1051–1052. and .
- 1983. Phencyclidine (“angel dust”) analogs and sigma opiate benzomorphans cause cerebral arterial spasm. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80:865–869. , , , and .
- 1999. Hypoxic/ischaemic brain damage, especially pallidal lesions, in heroin addicts. Forensic Sci. Int. 102:51–59. and .
- 2007. Marijuana as a trigger of cardiovascular events: speculation or scientific certainty? Int. J. Cardiol. 118:141–144. and .
- 2002. Subarachnoid haemorrhage with “ecstasy” abuse in a young adult. Neurol. Sci. 23:199–201. , , , , and .
- 1992. Stroke following marijuana smoking. Stroke 23:1381. , , and .
- 1987. Pathological and radiological correlation of subarachnoid hemorrhage in phencyclidine abuse. Case report. J. Neurosurg. 67:446–448. , , and .
- 2010. Commonly prescribed medications and potential false-positive urine drug screens. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 67:1344–1350. , , , , and .
- 2002. Neurologic complications of substance abuse. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 31(Suppl 2):S29–S34.
- 1997. Vasculitis owing to substance abuse. Neurol. Clin. 15:945–957.
- 1989. Stroke and drugs. In: P. J. Vinken, G. W. Bruyn, H. L. Klawans, and J. F. Toole, editors. Handbook of clinical neurology: Vascular diseases, part III. Vol. 55. Amsterdam (The Netherlands) : Elsevier Science Publishers.
- 1987. Cocaine use and the risk for endocarditis in intravenous drug users. Ann. Intern. Med. 106:833–836. , , , and .
- 1970. Necrotizing angiitis associated with drug abuse. N. Engl. J. Med. 283:1003–1011. , , , , , , et al .
- 1987. Stroke after heavy cannabis smoking. Postgrad. Med. J. 63:511. and .
- Central nervous system infarction related to cocaine abuse. Stroke 22:1320–1325. , , and .
- 1978. Neurobiology of phencyclidine—an update. NIDA Res. Monogr. 18–43.
- Drug Abuse Warning Network. 2010. DAWN emergency department publications: 2007: National estimates of drug-related emergency department visits. [homepage on the Internet]. [cited 2010 Oct 16]. Available from: United States, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Web site: http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/pubs/edpubs/
- 2010. Cannabis-induced cerebral and myocardial infarction in a young woman. Rev. Neurol. (Paris) 166:438–442. , , , , , and .
- 2007. The clinical and radiological spectrum of reversible vasoconstriction syndrome. A prospective series of 67 patients. Brain 130:3091–3101. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Recreational drugs and their neurologic consequences. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 75(Suppl 3):iii9–iii15.
- 2003. Cocaine-induced endothelin-1-dependent spasm in rabbit basilar artery in vivo. J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 41:158–161. , , , and .
- 1997. The neurovascular complications of cocaine. Surg. Neurol. 47:339–345. , , , , and .
- 2004. Occipital stroke shortly after cannabis consumption. Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 106:305–308. , , and .
- 2009. Pharmacology and abuse of cocaine, amphetamines, ecstasy and related designer drugs: A comprehensive review on their mode of action, treatment of abuse and intoxication [Internet]. Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, New York : Springer Science + Business Media. and .
- 2004. Club drugs: MDMA, gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), Rohypnol, and ketamine. Am. Fam. Physician 69:2619–2626.
- 2004. Cerebellar infarction in adolescent males associated with acute marijuana use. Pediatrics 113:e365–370. , , and .
- 1993. Subarachnoid haemorrhage associated with MDMA abuse. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 56:1036–1037. , , , and .
- 2010. Neurologic aspects of drug abuse. Neurol. Clin. 28:199–215. , , and .
- 2007. Radiology of recreational drug abuse. Radiographics 27:919–940. and .
- 1971. Necrotizing angiitis associated with drug abuse. Am. J. Roentgenol. Radium Ther. Nucl. Med. 111:663–671. and .
- 1995. Cerebral infarction associated with 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (‘ecstasy’) abuse. Eur. Neurol. 35:173. , , , , and .
- 1992. Misuse of ecstasy. Br. Med. J 305:310. and .
- 1987. Mechanisms of intracranial hemorrhage in infective endocarditis. Stroke 18:1048–1056. , , and .
- 1994. Cocaine-induced cerebrovasospasm and its possible mechanism of action. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 268:1532–1539. , , , and .
- 2000. Cocaine activates platelets and increases the formation of circulating platelet containing microaggregates in humans. Heart 83:688–695. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Cerebrovascular complications of methamphetamine abuse. Neurocrit. Care 10:295–305. , , , and .
- 1993. Intracranial haemorrhage associated with ingestion of ‘ecstasy’. Arch. Emerg. Med. 10:372–374. , , and .
- 2009. A comparison of echocardiographic findings in young adults with cardiomyopathy: with and without a history of methamphetamine abuse. Clin. Cardiol. 32:E18–E22. , , , , , and .
- 1989. Cocaine abuse: Neurovascular complications. Radiology 170(1 Pt 1):223–227. , , , , and .
- 1990. Emergence of recreational drug abuse as a major risk factor for stroke in young adults. Ann. Intern. Med. 113:821–827. and .
- 2001. The pharmacology and toxicology of “ecstasy” (MDMA) and related drugs. Can. Med. Assoc. J. 165:917–928.
- 1998. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 279:376–380. , , , , , , et al .
- 1989. Stroke associated with cocaine use. Arch. Neurol. 46:989–993. , , and .
- 1995. Pathobiological determinants of cocaine-associated cardiovascular syndromes. Hum. Pathol. 26:583–586. , , and .
- 1993. Increased prevalence of aortic fatty streaks in cholesterol-fed rabbits administered intravenous cocaine: the role of vascular endothelium. Toxicol. Pathol. 21:425–435. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Cocaine-induced increase in the permeability function of human vascular endothelial cell monolayers. Exp. Mol. Pathol. 66:109–122. , , , and .
- 1995. Vasospasm and thrombus formation as possible mechanisms of stroke related to alkaloidal cocaine. Stroke 26:1114–1118. , , and .
- 1996. Stroke and transient ischemic attacks in association with substance abuse in a young man. Postgrad. Med. J. 72:692–693. and .
- 1978. Phencyclidine use among youth: history, epidemiology, and acute and chronic intoxication. NIDA Res. Monogr. 21:66–118. and .
- 1974. Carotid artery occlusion following ingestion of LSD. Stroke 5:213–215. , , , and .
- 2005. The impact of street drugs on trauma care. J. Trauma 59(3 Suppl):S57–S60.
- 1993. Cerebral infarction in association with ecstasy abuse. Postgrad. Med. J. 69:874–875. and .
- 1971. Methamphetamine (“speed”) arteritis. Neuroradiology 2:179–182. and .
- 2010. Intracerebral hemorrhage in cocaine users. Stroke 41:680–684. , , , , , , et al .
- 2009. Intravenous tissue plasminogen activator in patients with cocaine-associated acute ischemic stroke. Stroke 40:3635–3637. , , , , , , et al .
- 2005. Recurrent stroke associated with cannabis use. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 76:435–437. , , , , and .
- 2003. Postural syncope after marijuana: a transcranial Doppler study of the hemodynamics. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 75:309–318. , , and .
- 1981. Acute phencyclidine intoxication: incidence of clinical findings in 1,000 cases. Ann. Emerg. Med. 10:237–242. , , , , and .
- 1997. Cannabis and alcohol in stroke. Postgrad. Med. J. 73:448. and .
- 2004. Spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage related to methamphetamine abuse: autopsy findings and clinical correlation. Am. J. Forensic Med. Pathol. 25:334–337. , , and .
- 2008. CBRNE—Incapacitating agents, LSD: eMedicine emergency medicine. [homepage on the Internet]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/833040-overview and .
- 1995. Cocaine-associated cerebral vasculitis. Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 25:172–183. , , , and .
- 2001. Cerebrovascular disease associated with marijuana abuse: a case report. Cerebrovasc. Dis. 11:284–285. , , and .
- 2001. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103:2805–2809. , , , , and .
- 2004. Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 291:1238–1245. , , , and .
- 2004. Cannabis use and cerebrovascular disease. Neurologist 10:47–53.
- 2000. Transient ischemic attack in heavy cannabis smokers—how ‘safe’ is it? Eur. Neurol. 44:42–44. , , , , and .
- 1995. Neurology 46:1291–1296. , , and .
- 1993. Cocaine-induced aneurysmal rupture: an emergent negative factor in the natural history of intracranial aneurysms? Neurosurgery 32:518–525. , , , and .
- 1999. Methamphetamine-related stroke: four cases. J. Emerg. Med. 17:469–471. , , and .
- 1998. Stroke and cocaine or amphetamine use. Epidemiology 9:596–600. , , , and .
- Cannabis-related myocardial infarction and cardioembolic stroke. J. Stroke Cerebrovasc. Dis. 2010 Sep 10; [epub ahead of print. , , , and .
- 2000. MDMA (“Ecstasy”) and its association with cerebrovascular accidents: preliminary findings. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 21:1001–1007. , , , , and .
- 2005. Neuroimaging in drug and substance abuse part I: cocaine, cannabis and ecstasy. Top Magn. Reson. Imaging 16:231–238. , , , , and .
- 1984. Intracerebral haemorrhage and vasculitis secondary to amphetamine use. Postgrad. Med. J. 60:429–430. and .
- 1991. Subarachnoid and intracerebral hemorrhage associated with necrotizing angiitis due to methamphetamine abuse—an autopsy case. Neurol. Med. Chir (Tokyo) 31:49–52. , , , and .
- 1998. Illicit drug-associated ischemic stroke in the Baltimore-Washington Young Stroke Study. Neurology 50:1688–1693. , , , , , , et al .
- 1992. Concurrent myocardial and cerebral infarctions after intranasal cocaine use. Stroke 23:427–430. and .
- 1971. Carotid artery obstruction following LSD capsule ingestion. Arch. Intern. Med. 127:290–291. , , and .
- 1975. Mononeuropathy multiplex as a complication of amphetamine angiitis. Neurology 25:570–572. , , , and .
- State Medical Marijuana Laws. [homepage on the Internet]. 2010. Available from: National Conference of State Legislatures Web site: http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=19587
- 1985. Intracerebral haemorrhage and angiographic beading following ingestion of catecholaminergics. Stroke 16:734–736. , , and .
- 2002. Increasing MDMA use among college students: results of a national survey. J. Adolesc. Health 30:64–72. , , and .
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). NSDUH: Latest national survey on drug use and health, substance abuse data, SAMHSA, office of applied studies. [homepage on the Internet]. 2010. Available from: United States, Department of Health and Human Services Web site: http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/nsduhLatest.htm
- The DAWN report: Highlights of the 2009 drug abuse warning network (DAWN) findings on drug-related emergency department visits. [homepage on the Internet]. 2010. Available from: United States, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Web site: http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/files/SpecTopics/DAWN2010_SR034.pdf
- 1985. Haemostasis 15:100–107. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Cocaine use and stroke. Postgrad. Med. J. 83:389–394. and .
- 1988. Radiological and neurological changes in the drug abuse patient: a study with MRI. J. Neuroradiol. 15:288–293. , , and .
- 2011. Phencyclidine toxicity: eMedicine Emergency Medicine. [homepage on the Internet]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/816348-overview , , and .
- 2007. Stroke in young adults who abuse amphetamines or cocaine. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 64:495–502. , , and .
- 2007. Methamphetamine abuse. Am. Fam. Physician 76:1169–1174. , , and .
- 1983. Intracerebral hemorrhage and vasculitis related to ephedrine abuse. Ann. Neurol. 13:337–40. , , and .
- 2007. The association of methamphetamine use and cardiomyopathy in young patients. Am. J. Med. 120:165–171. , , , , , , et al .
- 2008. Myocardial lesions after long-term administration of methamphetamine in rats. Chin. Med. Sci. J. 23:239–243. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Stroke after heavy marijuana smoking. Stroke 22:406–409.