K23 PA-00-003; GCRC GCO 05-1129
Effects of motivation on reward and attentional networks: an fMRI study
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 741–753, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 741–753
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAR 2012
- 2010. Primary and secondary rewards differentially modulate neural activity dynamics during working memory. PLoS One 5:e9251. , , , , and .
- 2006. Neural correlates of reward and attention in macaque area LIP. Neuropsychologia 44:2411–2420. , and .
- 2007. Anticipating instrumentally obtained and passively-received rewards: a factorial fMRI investigation. Behav. Brain Res. 177:165–170. , and .
- 2009. Effort discounting in human nucleus accumbens. Cogn. Affect Behav. Neurosci. 9:16–27. , , and .
- 2009. Conflict effects without conflict in anterior cingulate cortex: multiple response effects and context specific representations. Neuroimage 47:334–341. .
- 2009. Insights into the neural basis of response inhibition from cognitive and clinical neuroscience. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 33:631–646. , , and .
- 1994. Temperament, personality, and the mood and anxiety disorders. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 103:103–116. , , and .
- 2009. Postjunctional alpha2 adrenergic receptor potentiation of preparatory signaling evoked by warning cues. Biol. Psychiatry 66:307–312. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Conners' rating scales-revised technical manual. Multi Health Systems, North Tonawanda, NY. .
- 2009. Available alternative incentives modulate anticipatory nucleus accumbens activation. Soc. Cogn. Affect. Neurosci. 4:409–416. , , , and .
- 1988. Factorial composition of the SCL-90–R. J. Soc. Behav. Pers. 3:245–252. , , , and .
- 2010. Comparing the neural basis of monetary reward and cognitive feedback during information-integration category learning. J. Neurosci. 30:47–55. , and .
- 2002. Estimating sample size in functional MRI (fMRI) neuroimaging studies: statistical power analyses. J. Neurosci. Methods 118:115–128. , and .
- 2005. Cognitive control mechanisms resolve conflict through cortical amplification of task-relevant information. Nat. Neurosci. 8:1784–1790. , and .
- 2001. Approach and avoidance motivation. Educ. Psychol. Rev. 13:73–92. , and .
- 2002. Approach-avoidance motivation in personality: approach and avoidance temperaments and goals. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 82:804–818. , and .
- 2009. Combined effects of attention and motivation on visual task performance: transient and sustained motivational effects. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 3:4. , , , and .
- 1974. Effects of noise letters upon identification of a target letter in a nonsearch task. Percept. Psychophys. 16:143–149. , and .
- 2003. Cognitive and brain consequences of conflict. Neuroimage 18:42–57. , , , , and .
- 1998. Event-related fMRI: characterizing differential responses. Neuroimage 7:30–40. , , , , , and
- 2006. Neuroimage 30:1077–1087. , , , , .
- 2005. Neurocognitive insights into substance abuse. Trends Cogn. Sci. 9:195–201. , and .
- 2012). Parental substance abuse and function of the motivation and behavioral inhibition systems in drug-naïve youth. Psychiatry Res. 201:128–135. , , , , , and , et al. (
- 2006. Motion correction and the use of motion covariates in multiple-subject fMRI analysis. Hum. Brain Mapp. 27:779–788. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Splitting the difference: how does the brain code reward episodes? Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 1104:54–69. , and .
- 2000. FMRI visualization of brain activity during a monetary incentive delay task. Neuroimage 12:20–27. , , , and .
- 2001. Dissociation of reward anticipation and outcome with event-related fMRI. NeuroReport 12:3683–3687. , , , , and .
- 2004. Amphetamine modulates human incentive processing. Neuron 43:261–269. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A theory of goal systems. Adv. Exp. Soc. Psychol. 34:331–378. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Emotion, motivation, and anxiety: brain mechanisms and psychophysiology. Biol. Psychiatry 44:1248–1263. , , and .
- 2008. Sub-cortical processes of motor response inhibition during a stop signal task. Neuroimage 41:1352–1363. , , , and .
- 2010. Motivational orientation modulates the neural response to reward. Neuroimage 49:2618–2625. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Motivational influences on cognitive control: behavior, brain activation, and individual differences. Cogn. Affect Behav. Neurosci. 8:99–112. , and .
- 2008. The spatial attention network interacts with limbic and monoaminergic systems to modulate motivation-induced attention shifts. Cereb. Cortex 18:2604–2613. , , , and .
- 2010. Reactive mechanism of cognitive control system. Cereb. Cortex 20:2675–2683. , , and .
- 2008. Power calculation for group fMRI studies accounting for arbitrary design and temporal autocorrelation. Neuroimage 39:261–268. , and .
- 2004. An empirical investigation into the number of subjects required for an event-related fMRI study. Neuroimage 22:879–885. , and .
- 2010. Interactions between cognition and motivation during response inhibition. Neuropsychologia 48:558–565. , and .
- 2011. Reward reduces conflict by enhancing attentional control and biasing visual cortical processing. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 23:3419–3432. , and .
- 2003. Increased activation in the right insula during risk-taking decision making is related to harm avoidance and neuroticism. Neuroimage 19:1439–1448. , , , , and .
- 2009. How do emotion and motivation direct executive function? Trends Cogn. Sci. 13:160–166.
- 2010. Embedding reward signals into perception and cognition. Front. Neurosci. 4:17. , and .
- 1999. Neural correlates of decision variables in parietal cortex. Nature 400:233–238. , and .
- 2008. Attention enhances the neural processing of relevant features and suppresses the processing of irrelevant features in humans: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study of the stroop task. J. Neurosci. 28:13786–13792. , , , , and .
- 2003. Exploratory factor analysis of the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence (WASI) in adult standardization and clinical samples. Appl. Neuropsychol. 10:252–256. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Motivated cognitive control: reward incentives modulate preparatory neural activity during task-switching. J. Neurosci. 30:10294–10305. , and .
- 2011. Preparatory activity and connectivity in dorsal anterior cingulate cortex for cognitive control. Neuroimage 57:242–250. , , , and .
- 2005. Monetary incentives enhance processing in brain regions mediating top-down control of attention. Cereb. Cortex 15:1855–1865. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Trait motivation moderates neural activation associated with goal pursuit. Cogn. Affect Behav. Neurosci. 12:308–322. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-III-R (SCID). I: History, rationale, and description. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 49:624–629. , , , and .
- 2004. Matching behavior and the representation of value in the parietal cortex. Science 304:1782–1787. , , and .
- 2004. Michigan assessment-screening test for alcohol and drugs (MAST/AD): evaluation in a clinical sample. Am. J. Addict. 13:151–162. , , and .
- 2010. Brain activation during interference resolution in young and older adults: an fMRI study. Neuroimage 50:810–817. , , and .