This work is supported by funding from the Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research (NWO) and the Advanced Investigator Grant from the European Research Council (ERC) to V. A. F. L.
Two critical periods in early visual cortex during figure–ground segregation
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 763–777, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 763–777
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2012
- Netherlands Organization of Scientific Research (NWO)
- Advanced Investigator Grant from the European Research Council (ERC)
- 2002. Contextual influences on visual processing. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 25:339–379. , and .
- 2002. Circuits for local and global signal integration in primary visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 22:8633–8646. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Cue-invariant networks for figure and background processing in human visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 26:11695–11708. , , , , and .
- 1997. Similar electrophysiological correlates of texture segregation induced by luminance, orientation, motion and stereo. Vision Res. 37:1409–1414. , and .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B (Methodol.) 57:289–300. , and .
- 2008. Rapid recurrent processing gates awareness in primary visual cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:8742–8747. , , , and .
- 2005. Unconscious processing of orientation and color without primary visual cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:16875–16879. , , and .
- 1999. Horizontal propagation of visual activity in the synaptic integration field of area 17 neurons. Science 283:695–699. , , , and .
- 2010. Grouping puts figure-ground assignment in context by constraining propagation of edge assignment. Atten. Percept. Psychophys. 72:1053–1069. , and .
- 2001. Feedback connections and conscious vision. Trends Cogn. Sci. 5:369–370.
- 1999. A visual evoked potential correlate of global figure-ground segmentation. Vision Res. 39:1597–1610. , and .
- 1999. Topography of contextual modulations mediated by short-range interactions in primary visual cortex. Nature 399:655–661. , and .
- 2006. Conscious, preconscious, and subliminal processing: a testable taxonomy. Trends Cogn. Sci. 10:204–211. , , , , and .
- 1992. Preserved figure-ground segregation and symmetry perception in visual neglect. Nature 360:73–75. , , and .
- 2007. Masking disrupts reentrant processing in human visual cortex. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 19:1488–1497. , , and .
- 2010. Unconscious activation of the prefrontal no-go network. J. Neurosci. 30:4143–4150. , , , and .
- 2001. Feedforward and feedback connections between areas V1 and V2 of the monkey have similar rapid conduction velocities. J. Neurophysiol. 85:1328–1331. , , and .
- 1983. A new method for off-line removal of ocular artifact* 1. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 55:468–484. , , and .
- 2009. Decoding reveals the contents of visual working memory in early visual areas. Nature 458:632–635. , and .
- 2005. Figure-ground segregation requires two distinct periods of activity in V1: a transcranial magnetic stimulation study. NeuroReport 16:1483–1487. , , and .
- 2002. View from the top: hierarchies and reverse hierarchies in the visual system. Neuron 36:791–804. , and .
- 2006. Direct neurophysiological evidence for spatial suppression surrounding the focus of attention in vision. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:1053–1058. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Attention modulates contextual influences in the primary visual cortex of alert monkeys. Neuron 22:593–604. , and .
- 2011. Act quickly, decide later: long-latency visual processing underlies perceptual decisions but not reflective behaviour. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 23:3734–3745. , , , , and .
- 2003. Feedback to V1: a reverse hierarchy in vision. Exp. Brain Res. 150:259–263. , and .
- 1995. Improvement in visual sensitivity by changes in local context: parallel studies in human observers and in V1 of alert monkeys. Neuron 15:843–856. , , , and .
- 2000. Texture segregation in the human visual cortex: a functional MRI study. J. Neurophysiol. 83:2453–2457. , , and .
- 2011. Recurrent processing in V1/V2 contributes to categorization of natural scenes. J. Neurosci. 31:2488–2492. , , , , and .
- 1995. The neurophysiology of figure-ground segregation in primary visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 15:1605–1615.
- 2003. Why visual attention and awareness are different. Trends Cogn. Sci. 7:12–18.
- 2000. The distinct modes of vision offered by feedforward and recurrent processing. Trends Cogn. Sci. 23:571–579. , and .
- 2000. Modulations of primary visual cortex activity representing attentive and conscious scene perception. Front. Biosci. 5:232–243. , and .
- 1992. Texture segregation is processed by primary visual cortex in man and monkey. Evidence from VEP experiments. Vision Res. 32:797–807. , , and .
- 1998. Feedforward, horizontal, and feedback processing in the visual cortex. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 8:529–535. , , and .
- 2007. Unconscious activation of the cognitive control system in the human prefrontal cortex. J. Neurosci. 27:5805–5811. , and .
- 2001. Dynamics of subjective contour formation in the early visual cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:1907–1911. , and .
- 2001. Sham TMS: intracerebral measurement of the induced electrical field and the induction of motor-evoked potentials. Biol. Psychiatry 49:460–463. , , , , and .
- 1988. Segregation of form, color, movement, and depth: anatomy, physiology, and perception. Science 240:740–749. , and .
- 2002. Scene segmentation and attention in primate cortical areas V1 and V2. J. Neurophysiol. 88:2648–2658. , and .
- 1987. Visual processing in monkey extrastriate cortex. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 10:363–401. , and .
- 2000. Intermodal selective attention in monkeys. I: distribution and timing of effects across visual areas. Cereb. Cortex 10:343–358. , , and .
- 1985. The analysis of moving visual patterns. In Pattern recognition mechanisms. Pont. Acad. Sci. Scripta Varia 54:117–151. , , , and .
- 2007. Task-specific change of unconscious neural priming in the cerebral language network. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104:19643–19648. , , , , and .
- 2001. Fast backprojections from the motion to the primary visual area necessary for visual awareness. Science 292:510–512. , and .
- 1989. Spherical splines for scalp potential and current density mapping. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 72:184–187. , , , and .
- 2011. Early stages of figure-ground segregation during perception of the face-vase. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 23:880–895. , , , and .
- 2007. Figure-ground mechanisms provide structure for selective attention. Nat. Neurosci. 10:1492–1499. , , and .
- 1999. Predictive coding in the visual cortex: a functional interpretation of some extra-classical receptive-field effects. Nature 2:79–87. , and .
- 2003. Feedback contributions to visual awareness in human occipital cortex. Curr. Biol. 13:1038–1041. , , , , and .
- 1998. Object-based attention in the primary visual cortex of the macaque monkey. Nature 395:376–381. , , and .
- 2004. Synchrony and covariation of firing rates in the primary visual cortex during contour grouping. Nat. Neurosci. 7:982–991. , , and .
- 2007. Occipital transcranial magnetic stimulation has opposing effects on visual and auditory stimulus detection: implications for multisensory interactions. J. Neurosci. 27:11465–11472. , , , and .
- 2001. Contextual modulation in primary visual cortex of macaques. J. Neurosci. 21:1698–1709. , , and .
- 2009. Safety, ethical considerations, and application guidelines for the use of transcranial magnetic stimulation in clinical practice and research. Clin. Neurophysiol. 120:2008–2039. , , , and .
- 2011. Stimulation of category-selective brain areas modulates ERP to their preferred categories. Curr. Biol. 21:1894–1899. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Cue-invariant shape selectivity of macaque inferior temporal neurons. Science 260:995–997. , , and .
- 2003. Scene segmentation [PhD thesis]. University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam. .
- 2006. The influence of inattention on the neural correlates of scene segmentation. Brain Res. 1076:106–115. , , , and .
- 2008. Feedforward and recurrent processing in scene segmentation: electroencephalography and functional magnetic resonance imaging. J. Cogn. Neurosci. 20:2097–2109. , , , and .
- 2005. Striate cortex (V1) activity gates awareness of motion. Nat. Neurosci. 8:143–144. , , , and .
- 1992. Motion coherency rules are form-cue invariant. Vision Res. 32:465–475. , and .
- 2001. A neural correlate of working memory in the monkey primary visual cortex. Science 293:120–124. , , and .
- 2010. Feed-forward segmentation of figure-ground and assignment of border-ownership. PLoS ONE 5:e10705. , , and .
- 2007. FEF TMS affects visual cortical activity. Cereb. Cortex 17:391–399. , , and .
- 2003. Differential effects of low-frequency rTMS at the occipital pole on visual-induced alpha desynchronization and visual-evoked potentials. Neuroimage 18:334–347. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A new device and protocol for combining TMS and online recordings of EEG and evoked potentials. J. Neurosci. Methods 141:207–217. , , , , and .
- 2008. A neural substrate for atypical low-level visual processing in autism spectrum disorder. Brain 131:1013–1024. , , , , and .
- 1997. Extraction of ocular artefacts from EEG using independent component analysis. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 103:395–404.
- 2000. Transcranial magnetic stimulation and cognitive neuroscience. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 1:73–80. , and .
- 1998. Risk and safety of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation: report and suggested guidelines from the International Workshop on the Safety of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, 5–7 June 1996. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 108:1–16.
- 2011. The flexible nature of unconscious cognition. PLoS ONE 6:e25729. , , , , and .
- 2010. Analysis of the context integration mechanisms underlying figure–ground organization in the visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 30:6482–6496. , and .
- 2000. Coding of border ownership in monkey visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 20:6594–6611. , , and .
- 1996. Contextual modulation in primary visual cortex. J. Neurosci. 16:7376–7389. , , and .