The authors thank the National Science Council, Taiwan, for financial support for this research under contract no. NSC 99-2112-M-017-001-MY3 and no. NSC 99-2511-S-017-004-MY3.
Age- and disease-related features of task-related brain oscillations by using mutual information
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 754–762, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 754–762
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 15 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2012
- National Science Council. Grant Numbers: NSC 99-2112-M-017-001-MY3, NSC 99-2511-S-017-004-MY3
- 2001. Human anterior and frontal midline theta and lower alpha reflect emotionally positive state and internalized attention: high-resolution EEG investigation of meditation. Neurosci. Lett. 310:57–60. , and .
- 2006. Frontal white matter volume and delta EEG sources negatively correlate in awake subjects with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Clin. Neurophysiol. 117:1113–1129. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Cortical sources of resting EEG rhythms in mild cognitive impairment and subjective memory complaint. Neurobiol. Aging 31:1787–1798. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A review of brain oscillations in cognitive disorders and the role of neurotransmitters. Brain Res. 1235:172–193. , and .
- 2009. Human brain networks in health and disease. Curr. Opin. Neurol. 22:340–347. , and .
- 1994. EEG coherence in Alzheimer disease. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 90:242–245. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Brain ERP components predict which individuals progress to Alzheimer's disease and which do not. Neurobiol. Aging 32:1742–1755. , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Replication of a study of frequency analysis of the resting awake EEG in mild probable Alzheimer's disease. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 75:148–154. , , , and .
- 2004. EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis. J. Neurosci. Methods 134:9–21. , and .
- 1975. Mini-Mental State: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician. J. Psychiatr. Res. 12:189–198. , , and .
- 2002. Value of event-related P300 subcomponents in the clinical diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Psychophysiology 39:175–181. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Event-related potentials. Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia.
- 1998. Brain imaging and age-related changes in cognition. Exp. Gerontol. 33:661–673.
- 2012. Age-related changes of task-specific brain activity in normal aging. Neurosci. Lett. 507:78–83. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Memory-related EEG power and coherence reductions in mild Alzheimer's disease. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 49:147–163. , , , , and .
- 2000. Discrimination of Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment by equivalent EEG sources: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study. Clin. Neurophysiol. 111:1961–1967. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Quantitative electroencephalography in mild cognitive impairment: longitudinal changes and possible prediction of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol. Aging 21:533–540. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Global dynamical analysis of the EEG in Alzheimer's disease: frequency-specific changes of functional interactions. Clin. Neurophysiol. 119:837–841. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Mutual information analysis of the EEG in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Clin. Neurophysiol. 112:827–835. , , and .
- 2010. Linear and nonlinear information flow based on time-delayed mutual information method and its application to corticomuscular interaction. Clin. Neurophysiol. 121:392–401. , , and .
- 2001. The diagnostic value of EEG in Alzheimer disease: correlation with the severity of mental impairment. J. Clin. Neurophysiol. 18:570. , , , and .
- 2010. The role of event-related potentials in cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease. Clin. Neurophysiol. 121:194–199. , , , and .
- 2004. Individual analysis of EEG frequency and band power in mild Alzheimer's disease. Clin. Neurophysiol. 115:299–308.
- 2002. EEG in schizophrenic patients: mutual information analysis. Clin. Neurophysiol. 113:1954–1960. , , , and .
- 2003. Effects of scopolamine on MEG spectral power and coherence in elderly subjects. Clin. Neurophysiol. 114:1902–1907.
- 1985. Quantitative analysis of occipital EEG in different stages of Alzheimer's disease. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 60:1–6. , , , and .
- 1999. Mild cognitive impairment: clinical characterization and outcome. Arch. Neurol. 56:303. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Current concepts in mild cognitive impairment. Arch. Neurol. 58:1985. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The cognitive neuroscience of aging: new findings on compensation and connectivity. Cortex 46:421–424. , and .
- 2004. EEG synchronization likelihood in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease during a working memory task. Clin. Neurophysiol. 115:1332–1339. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Short latency afferent inhibition is not impaired in mild cognitive impairment. Clin. Neurophysiol. 118:1460–1463. , , and .
- 2007. Dissociation of sustained attention from central executive functions: local activity and interregional connectivity in the theta range. Eur. J. Neurosci. 25:587–593. , , , , and .
- 2008. Cross-frequency phase synchronization: a brain mechanism of memory matching and attention. Neuroimage 40:308–317. , , , and .
- 2002. Phase-coupling of theta-gamma EEG rhythms during short-term memory processing. Int. J. Psychophysiol. 44:143–163. , , , , and .
- 1993. Quantitative EEG analysis in early onset Alzheimer's disease: a controlled study. Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 86:15–22. , , and .
- 1999. Neuronal synchrony: a versatile code review for the definition of relations? Neuron 24:49–65.
- 2005. Nonlinear dynamical analysis of EEG and MEG: review of an emerging field. Clin. Neurophysiol. 116:2266–2301.
- 2003. EEG synchronization in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neurol. Scand. 108:90–96. , , , and .
- 2009. A novel segmentation, mutual information network framework for EEG analysis of motor tasks. Biomed. Eng. Online 8:9. , , and .