This study was funded by a grant from the Netherlands Science Organization (N.W.O.-MaGW) to Willem Van der Does (Vici Grant no. 453-005-06). Linda Booij was funded by a career award from the Fonds de recherche du Québec-Santé.
The effects of MAOA genotype, childhood trauma, and sex on trait and state-dependent aggression
Article first published online: 5 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 806–813, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 806–813
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2012
- Netherlands Science Organization. Grant Number: 453-005-06
- Fonds de recherche du Québec-Santé
- 2002. Familial, psychiatric, and socioeconomic risk factors for suicide in young people: nested case-control study. BMJ 325:74. , , and .
- 2009. Association of MAOA gene functional promoter polymorphism with CSF dopamine turnover and atypical depression. Pharmacogenet. Genomics 19:267–275. , , , , and .
- 2008. Brain monoamine oxidase A activity predicts trait aggression. J. Neurosci. 28:5099–5104. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Serotonin transporter gene, childhood emotional abuse and cognitive vulnerability to depression. Genes Brain Behav. 9:615–620. , and .
- 2010. Cognitive reactivity: investigation of a potentially treatable marker of suicide risk in depression. J. Affect. Disord. 122:46–52. , , and .
- 2011. Maltreatment, MAOA, and delinquency: sex differences in gene–environment interaction in a large population-based cohort of adolescents. Behav. Genet. 41:262–272. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Risk factors for serious suicide attempts among youths aged 13 through 24 years. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry 35:1174–1182. , , and .
- 1999. Relationship of childhood maltreatment to the onset and course of major depression in adulthood. Depress. Anxiety 9:169–174. , and .
- 1997. Validity of the Childhood Trauma Questionnaire in an adolescent psychiatric population. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry 36:340–348. , , , and .
- 2007. Cognitive and serotonergic vulnerability to depression: convergent findings. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 116:86–94. , and .
- 2002. Familial pathways to early-onset suicide attempt: risk for suicidal behavior in offspring of mood-disordered suicide attempters. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 59:801–807. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Abnormal behavior associated with a point mutation in the structural gene for monoamine oxidase A. Science 262:578–580. , , , , and .
- 1995. Aggressive behavior and altered amounts of brain serotonin and norepinephrine in mice lacking MAOA. Science 268:1763–1766. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Role of genotype in the cycle of violence in maltreated children. Science 297:851–854. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Interaction of child maltreatment and 5-HTT polymorphisms: suicidal ideation among children from low-SES backgrounds. J. Pediatr. Psychol. 35:536–546. , , , and .
- 2002. Cognitive reactivity to sad mood: structure and validity of a new measure. Behav. Res. Ther. 40:105–120.
- 2005. Thought suppression and cognitive vulnerability to depression. Br. J. Clin. Psychol. 44:1–14.
- 1999. Frequency of long allele in serotonin transporter gene is increased in depressed suicide victims. Biol. Psychiatry 46:196–201. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Childhood abuse, household dysfunction, and the risk of attempted suicide throughout the life span. JAMA 286:3089–3096. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Interaction between a functional MAOA locus and childhood sexual abuse predicts alcoholism and antisocial personality disorder in adult women. Mol. Psychiatry 13:334–347. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Early life stress, MAOA, and gene-environment interactions predict behavioral disinhibition in children. Genes Brain Behav. 9:65–74. , , , , and .
- 1999. Anger attacks in patients with depression. J. Clin. Psychiatry 60(Suppl. 15):21–24. , and .
- 2004. Childhood adversity, monoamine oxidase A genotype, and risk for conduct disorder. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 61:738–744. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Factor structure of the State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory. J. Pers. Assess. 69:497–507. , , and .
- 2001. The role of childhood trauma in the neurobiology of mood and anxiety disorders: preclinical and clinical studies. Biol. Psychiatry 49:1023–1039. , and .
- 2004. An association between a functional polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A gene promoter, impulsive traits and early abuse experiences. Neuropsychopharmacology 29:1498–1505. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Childhood maltreatment increases risk for personality disorders during early adulthood. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 56:600–606. , , , , and .
- 2006. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-5-HTTLPR gene interactions and environmental modifiers of depression in children. Biol. Psychiatry 59:673–680. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. MAOA, maltreatment, and gene-environment interaction predicting children's mental health: new evidence and a meta-analysis. Mol. Psychiatry 11:903–913. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Monoamine oxidase A gene (MAOA) predicts behavioral aggression following provocation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:2118–2123. , , , , and .
- 2006. Role of monoamine oxidase A genotype and psychosocial factors in male adolescent criminal activity. Biol. Psychiatry 59:121–127. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Responses to depression and their effects on the duration of depressive episodes. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 100:569–582.
- 1991. Monoamine oxidase, dopamine and Parkinson's disease. Acta Neurol. Scand. 84:60–65.
- 1985. The present status of monoamine oxidase inhibitors. Br. J. Psychiatry 146:576–584.
- 2009. Irritability is associated with anxiety and greater severity, but not bipolar spectrum features, in major depressive disorder. Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 119:282–289. , , , , , , et al.
- 1982. Handleiding bij de Zelf-analyse Vragenlijst (ZAV). Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse, The Netherlands. , , and .
- 2001. Anxiety/aggression–driven depression. A paradigm of functionalization and verticalization of psychiatric diagnosis. Prog. Neuropsychopharmacol. Biol. Psychiatry 25:893–924.
- 2003. Negative cognitive styles and stress-reactive rumination interact to predict depression: a prospective study. Cogn. Ther. Res. 27:275–291. , and .
- 1998. A functional polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A gene promoter. Hum. Genet. 103:273–279. , , and .
- 2007. Adolescent girls and criminal activity: role of MAOA-LPR genotype and psychosocial factors. Am. J. Med. Genet. B Neuropsychiatr. Genet. 144B:159–164. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Relationship of monoamine oxidase A binding to adaptive and maladaptive personality traits. Psychol. Med. 41:1051–1060. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Assessment of anger: the State-Trait Anger Scale. Pp. 159–187 in J. N. Butcher and C. D. Spielberger, eds. Advances in personality assessment. Vol. 2. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ. , , , and .
- 2009. A validation study of the Dutch Childhood Trauma Questionnaire-Short Form: factor structure, reliability, and known-groups validity. Child Abuse Negl. 33:518–523. , , , and .
- 2011. Clinical and physiological correlates of irritability in depression: results from the Netherlands study of depression and anxiety. Depress. Res. Treat. 2011:126895. , , , , and .
- 2008. Cognitive reactivity, suicidal ideation and future fluency: preliminary investigation of a differential activation theory of hopelessness/suicidality. Cogn. Ther. Res. 32:83–104. , , , , and .
- 2009. A polymorphism of the MAOA gene is associated with emotional brain markers and personality traits on an antisocial index. Neuropsychopharmacology 34:1797–1809. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Interaction between MAO-A genotype and maltreatment in the risk for conduct disorder: failure to confirm in adolescent patients. Am. J. Psychiatry 163:1019–1025. , , , , , , et al.