This work was supported by the Veterans Affairs National Quality Scholars Program (V. W. S.).
Isolated CNS Whipple disease with normal brain MRI and false-positive CSF 14-3-3 protein: a case report and review of the literature
Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 838–843, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 838–843
- Issue published online: 9 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2012
- Veterans Affairs National Quality Scholars Program
- 2002. Intracerebral Whipple disease: unusual location and bone destruction. Case report. J. Neurosurg. 97:988–991. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Neurology of Whipple's disease. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 68:2–5.
- 2007. Isolated CNS Whipple disease with a variant of oculofacial-skeletal myorhythmia (OFSM). Neurology 69:E12. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Isolated CNS Whipple disease: acute onset and relapsing-remitting course. Scand. J. Infect. Dis. 39:623–625. , , , , and .
- 2008. Isolated central nervous system Whipple's disease causing reversible frontotemporal-like dementia. Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 110:747–749. , , and .
- 2010. MR imaging of central nervous system Whipple disease: a 15-year review. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 31:1493–1497. , , and .
- 2001. CSF detection of the 14-3-3 protein in unselected patients with dementia. Neurology 56:1528–1533. , , , and .
- 1996. Whipple's disease confined to the central nervous system. Neuroradiology 38:325–327. , , , , and .
- 1967. A light- and electron-microscopic study of bacterial invasion in Whipple's disease. Am. J. Pathol. 51:225–242. , and .
- 1997. Whipple disease. Clinical review of 52 cases. The SNFMI Research Group on Whipple Disease. Societe Nationale Francaise de Medecine Interne. Medicine (Baltimore) 76:170–184. , , , , and .
- 2011. Principles and practice of movement disorders. 2nd ed. Elsevier/Saunders, Edinburgh, New York. , , and .
- 2005. A patient with cerebral Whipple's disease and a stroke-like syndrome. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 40:607–609. , , and .
- 2007. Whipple's disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 356:55–66. , , and .
- 1994. An evaluation of antimicrobial treatment for Whipple's disease. Tetracycline versus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. Dig. Dis. Sci. 39:1642–1648. , and .
- 1988. Whipple's disease: clinical, biochemical, and histopathologic features and assessment of treatment in 29 patients. Mayo Clin. Proc. 63:539–551. , , and .
- 2002. Neurologic presentation of Whipple disease: report of 12 cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 81:443–457. , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Cranial computed tomography in Whipple's disease. J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 5:246–248. , , and .
- 1982. Whipple disease of the nervous system. Neurology 32:612–617. , , and .
- 1988. Oculo-facio-skeletal myorhythmia as a cerebral complication of systemic Whipple's disease. Mov. Disord. 3:179–184. , , , and .
- 1985. Antibiotic treatment and relapse in Whipple's disease. Long-term follow-up of 88 patients. Gastroenterology 88:1867–1873. , , , and .
- 2000. An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to quantify 14-3-3 proteins in the cerebrospinal fluid of suspected Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease patients. Ann. Neurol. 48:395–398. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Practice parameter: diagnosis of dementia (an evidence-based review). Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 56:1143–1153. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. 14-3-3 testing in diagnosing Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: a prospective study in 112 patients. Neurology 55:514–516. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Diagnostic guidelines in central nervous system Whipple's disease. Ann. Neurol. 40:561–568. , , , , and .
- 2001. The diagnosis and treatment of Whipple's disease. Curr. Allergy Asthma Rep. 1:566–571.
- 2009. New insights into Whipple's disease – a rare intestinal inflammatory disorder. Dig. Dis. 27:494–501.
- 2005. Cerebellar ataxia and central nervous system Whipple disease. Arch. Neurol. 62:618–620. , , , , and .
- 2006. Primary Whipple's disease of the brain: characterization of the clinical syndrome and molecular diagnosis. QJM 99:609–623. , , , and .
- 2001. Determination of 14-3-3 protein levels in cerebrospinal fluid from Creutzfeldt-Jakob patients by a highly sensitive capture assay. Neurosci. Lett. 301:167–170. , , , , and .
- 2002. Cerebral Whipple's disease with a stroke-like presentation and cerebrovascular pathology. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry 73:336–339. , , and .
- 2008. Teaching NeuroImage: oculomasticatory myorhythmia: pathognomonic phenomenology of Whipple disease. Neurology 70:e25. , , , and .
- 1998. Diagnostic usefulness of the determination of protein 14-3-3 in cerebrospinal fluid in Creutzfeld-Jakob disease. Neurologia 13:324–328. , , , and .
- 1999. Detection of 14-3-3 brain protein in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with paraneoplastic neurological disorders. Ann. Neurol. 46:774–777. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Whipple disease of the central nervous system. J. Infect. Dis. 188:797–800.
- 2008. Whipple's disease: new aspects of pathogenesis and treatment. Lancet Infect. Dis. 8:179–190. , , , , , and .
- 1995. MR of cerebral Whipple disease. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 16:1328–1329. , , , and .
- 1996. Long-term follow-up in cerebral Whipple's disease. Eur. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 8:899–903. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Oculomasticatory myorhythmia: a unique movement disorder occurring in Whipple's disease. Ann. Neurol. 20:677–683. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Description of Tropheryma whipplei gen. nov., sp. nov., the Whipple's disease bacillus. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 51:1471–1479. , , , , , and .
- 1960. Central nervous system involvement in Whipple's disease. J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 19:70–75. , , , and .
- 1995. Oculofacial-skeletal myorhythmia in central nervous system Whipple's disease: additional case and review of the literature. Mov. Disord. 10:195–200. , , , and .
- 1996. Whipple's disease and the central nervous system. A case report and a review of the literature. Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 98:299–304. , , , and .
- 1997. Central nervous system Whipple's disease. Ann. Neurol. 41:560–561. , , and .
- 2000. Analysis of EEG and CSF 14-3-3 proteins as aids to the diagnosis of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Neurology 55:811–815. , , , , , , et al.