This study was supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH R01 NS048281) to J. P. S.
The effects of linguistic relationships among paired associates on verbal self-generation and recognition memory
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Brain and Behavior published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Brain and Behavior
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 789–795, November 2012
How to Cite
Brain and Behavior 2012; 2(6): 789–795
- Issue online: 9 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 12 APR 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: R01 NS048281
- 2000. Testing memory for self-generated items in dementia: method makes a difference. Neurology 54:1258–1264. , , , and .
- 1994. Mood-moderating effects of affect intensity on cognition: sometimes euphoria is not beneficial and dysphoria is not detrimental. J. Pers. Soc. Psychol. 66:363–368. , , and .
- 2010. The effect of seizures on working memory and executive functioning performance. Epilepsy Behav. 17:412–419. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Self-generation as a means of maximizing learning in multiple sclerosis: an application of the generation effect. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 83:1070–1079. , and .
- 2002. Levels of processing: past, present … and future? Memory 10:305–318.
- 1975. Depth of processing and the retention of words in episodic memory. J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 104:268–294. , and .
- 2009. Effects of phonological and semantic cuing on encoding and retrieval processes in adolescent psychosis. J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 31:533–544. , , , , and .
- 2008. Compensatory brain activation for recognition memory in patients with medication-resistant epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 13:463–469. , , and .
- 2006. The effects of duration of intractable epilepsy on memory function. Epilepsy Behav. 9:469–477. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Neural correlates of rhyming vs. lexical and semantic fluency. Brain Res. 1391:71–80. , , , and .
- 2004. Levels of processing with free and cued recall and unilateral temporal lobe epilepsy. Brain Lang. 89:83–90. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The influence of item properties on association-memory. J. Mem. Lang. 63:46–63. , , and .
- 1999. Independence of input and output phonology in word processing and short-term memory. J. Mem. Lang. 41:3–29. , , and .
- 1988. A contextual account of the generation effect: a three-factor theory. J. Mem. Lang. 27:521–536. , , and .
- 1989. Encoding difficulty and memory enhancement for young and older readers. Psychol. Aging 4:333–338. , , and .
- 2012. Toward a neural basis of interactive alignment in conversation. Front. Hum. Neurosci. 6:185. , , and .
- 1997. Generation effects and source memory in healthy older adults and in adults with dementia of the Alzheimer type. Neuropsychology 11:382–391. , and .
- 1971. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia 9:97–113.
- 1992. The generation effect in primed word-fragment completion reexamined. Psychol. Res. 54:103–109. , and .
- 1990. Emotional effects of self-generated behavior and the influence of resourcefulness and depressed mood. J. Soc. Clin. Psychol. 9:354–366. , and .
- 2008a. The use of a self-generation memory encoding strategy to improve verbal memory and learning in patients with traumatic brain injury. Appl. Neuropsychol. 15:61–68. , , and .
- 2008b. The use of self-generation procedures facilitates verbal memory in individuals with seizure disorders. Epilepsy Behav. 13:162–168. , , , , , and .
- 1978. The generation effect: delineation of a phenomenon. J. Exp. Psychol. Hum. Learn. Mem. 4:592–604. , and .
- 1996. Recall of frequency of occurrence of self-generated and examiner-provided words after frontal or temporal lobectomy. Neuropsychologia 34:553–563.
- 2012. Cortical correlates of self-generation in verbal paired associate learning. Brain Res. 1437:104–114. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Clinical and neurocognitive aspects of source monitoring errors in schizophrenia. Am. J. Psychiatry 154:1530–1537. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Pp. 621–623 in Teaching with GSS: techniques for enabling student participation. Proceedings of the First Americas Conference on Information Systems. Association for Information Systems, Pittsburgh, PA. , , , and .