John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Behavioral Sciences & the Law
Special Issue: Current Directions
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 1–19, January/February 2007
How to Cite
Viljoen, J. L., Zapf, P. A. and Roesch, R. (2007), Adjudicative competence and comprehension of Miranda rights in adolescent defendants: a comparison of legal standards. Behav. Sci. Law, 25: 1–19. doi: 10.1002/bsl.714
This study was supported by a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship, an American Psychology–Law Society Grant-in-Aid, and an American Academy of Forensic Psychology Dissertation Grant awarded to the first author.
The authors would like to thank the Daniel Erker, the staff at Remann Hall Juvenile Detention Facility in Tacoma, WA, and our study participants. We would also like to thank Dr. Thomas Grisso for his helpful comments on an earlier draft of this manuscript.
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2007
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- American Psychology–Law Society
- American Academy of Forensic Psychology
This article has been cited by:
- 2Effects of Age, Adaptive Behavior, and Cognitive Abilities on Competence-Related Abilities in Children and Adolescents, Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice, 2015, 15, 2, 138, ,
- 3Fitness to Stand Trial in the New Zealand Youth Court: Characterising Court-Ordered Competence Assessments, Psychiatry, Psychology and Law, 2015, 1, ,
- 4Law Enforcement and the Rights of the Accused: Are the Police Getting a Bad Rap?, Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 2015,, , , , , ,
- 5Lamenting the list: a partial test of Sherman’s defiance theory as applied to female sex offenders, Contemporary Justice Review, 2014, 17, 3, 326, , ,
- 11An evaluation of Miranda rights and interrogation in autism spectrum disorders, Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 2011, 5, 1, 79, , , , ,
- 13Police-induced confessions: Risk factors and recommendations., Law and Human Behavior, 2010, 34, 1, 3, , , , , ,
- 14The Gatehouses and Mansions: Fifty Years Later, Annual Review of Law and Social Science, 2010, 6, 1, 323, ,
- 15Developing a Forensic Service Delivery System for Juveniles Adjudicated Incompetent to Stand Trial, International Journal of Forensic Mental Health, 2009, 8, 4, 245, , , , , ,
- 16Development and initial validation of the Miranda Vocabulary Scale., Law and Human Behavior, 2009, 33, 5, 381, , , , , ,
- 17Examining Adolescents’ and their Parents’ Conceptual and Practical Knowledge of Police Interrogation: A Family Dyad Approach, Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 2008, 37, 6, 685, , , ,
- 18The Psychology of Confessions, Annual Review of Law and Social Science, 2008, 4, 1, 193,