Eun-Kyung Chung and Kwang-Il Nam contributed equally to this work.
Advance organizers in a gross anatomy dissection course and their effects on academic achievement
Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 26, Issue 3, pages 327–332, April 2013
How to Cite
Chung, E.-K., Nam, K.-I., Oh, S.-A., Han, E.-R., Woo, Y.-J. and Hitchcock, M. A. (2013), Advance organizers in a gross anatomy dissection course and their effects on academic achievement. Clin. Anat., 26: 327–332. doi: 10.1002/ca.22089
- Issue online: 12 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 SEP 2011
- The Brain Korea 21 Project, Center for Biomedical Human Resources at Chonnam National University
- 2008. Dissection as a modulator of emotional attitudes and reactions of future health professionals. Med Educ 42: 563–571. , , .
- 1968. Educational Psychology: A Cognitive View. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. .
- 1978. In Defense of Advance Organizers: A Reply to the Critics. Rev Educ Res 48: 251–257. .
- 2006. Teaching anatomy: Cadavers vs. computers? Ann Anat 188: 187–190. , , .
- 2001. The revised two-factor Study Process Questionnaire: R-SPQ-2F. Br J Educ Psychol 71: 133–149. , , .
- 2007. Investigating the use of advance organizers as an instructional strategy for web-based distance education. Quart Rev Distance Educ 8: 223–231. , , .
- 2007. The impact of alternating dissection on student performance in a medical anatomy course: Are dissection videos an effective substitute for actual dissection? Clin Anat 20: 315–321. , .
- 1995. A comparison study of two advance organizers for introducing beginning foreign language students to video. Mod Lang J 79: 387–395. , , .
- 1991. Enhancing motivation and acquisition of coordinate concepts by using concept trees. J Educ Res 84: 273–279. , .
- Korean Association of Medical Colleges. 2004. Learning Objectives for Medical Students. Seoul: Aram Publishing.
- 2008. The dissection course—Necessary and indispensable for teaching anatomy to medical students. Ann Anat 190: 16–22. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Perceptions of dissection by students in one medical school: Beyond learning about anatomy. A qualitative study. Med Educ 39: 318–325. .
- 2011. Dissection videos do not improve anatomy examination scores. Anat Sci Educ 4: 16–21. , , , .
- 2007. A core syllabus in anatomy for medical students—Adding common sense to need to know. Eur J Anat 11: 3–18. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The role of advance organizer on English language learning as a second language. Proc Soc Behav Sci 2: 4667–4671. , , .
- 2007. Medical students' learning of anatomy: Memorisation, understanding and visualisation. Med Educ 41: 7–14. , .
- 2002. Human dissection: An approach to interweaving the traditional and humanistic goals of medical education. Anat Rec 269: 242–248. .
- 2006. Using gross anatomy to teach and assess professionalism in the first year of medical school. Clin Anat 19: 437–441. .
- 2007. Anatomical dissection as a teaching method in medical school: A review of the evidence. Med Educ 41: 15–22. .
- 2007. What do students actually do during a dissection course? First steps towards understanding a complex learning experience. Acad Med 82: 989–995. , , .
- 2004. Educational Psychology. 9th Ed. Boston: Pearson. .
- 2001. Effects of learner control and learning strategies on English as a foreign language (EFL) learning form interactive hypermedia lessons. J Educ Multimed Hypermed 10: 141–159. , .