This research uses data from Add Health (http://www.cpc.unc.edu/addhealth), a project directed by J. Richard Udry, Peter S. Bearman, and Kathleen Mullan Harris at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and funded by grant P01-HD31921 from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, with cooperative funding from 23 other federal agencies and foundations. Special acknowledgment is due to Ronald R. Rindfuss and Barbara Entwisle for assistance in the original design. No direct support was received from grant P01-HD31921 for this analysis. Special thanks are given to the William T. Grant Young Scholar award to Sandra Simpkins (#7936) for support of this project and to the master's thesis committee of the first author for invaluable feedback: Sandra D. Simpkins, Ph.D. (chair); David A. Schaefer, Ph.D.; and Kimberly A. Updegraff, Ph.D.
When Is Sport Participation Risky or Protective for Alcohol Use? The Role of Teammates, Friendships, and Popularity†
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc., A Wiley Company
New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development
Special Issue: Organized Out-of-School Activities: Settings for Peer Relationships
Volume 2013, Issue 140, pages 37–55, Summer 2013
How to Cite
Vest, A. E. and Simpkins, S. D. (2013), When Is Sport Participation Risky or Protective for Alcohol Use? The Role of Teammates, Friendships, and Popularity . New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, 2013: 37–55. doi: 10.1002/cad.20036
- Issue published online: 13 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2013
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!