Urban–rural disparities in colorectal cancer screening: cross-sectional analysis of 1998–2005 data from the Centers for Disease Control's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Study
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Cancer Medicine published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 1, Issue 3, pages 350–356, December 2012
How to Cite
Cancer Medicine 2012; 1(3): 350-356
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 JUL 2012
- Kirchstein National Research Service Award
- 3American Cancer Society. 2012. Cancer Facts & Figures, 2012. Available at http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-031941.pdf. Accessed 23 July 2012.
- 5U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. 2008. Screening for colorectal cancer. Available at http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf08/colocancer/colors.htm. Accessed 23 July 2012.
- 6Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2011. Vital signs: colorectal cancer screening, incidence, and mortality – United States, 2002–2010. MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly Rep. 60:884–889.
- 122012. Differences in late-stage diagnosis, treatment, and colorectal cancer-related death between rural and urban African Americans and whites in Georgia. J. Rural Health 28:296–305. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2011.00390.x, and .
- 162006. Surveillance for certain health behaviors among states and selected local areas – behavioral risk factor surveillance system, United States, 2004. MMWR Surveill. Summ. 55:1–124., , , , , , et al.
- 172001. Reliability and validity of measures from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). Soz. Praventivmed. 46(Suppl. 1):S3–S42., , , , and .
- 182009. Evaluating test strategies for colorectal cancer screening-age to begin, age to stop, and timing of screening intervals: a decision analysis of colorectal cancer screening for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force from the Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network (CISNET). AHRQ Report No.: 0805124-EF-2, Rockville, MD., , , , , and .
- 282004. Colonoscopy in rural communities: can family physicians perform the procedure with safe and efficacious results? J. Am. Board Fam. Pract. 17:353–358., and .
- 332012. A pilot study for using fecal immunochemical testing to increase colorectal cancer screening in Appalachia, 2008–2009. Prev. Chronic Dis. 9:E77., , , , , , et al.
- 342010. Method of recommendation for colorectal cancer screening strategies impacts adherence. Gastroenterology 138(Suppl. 1):S23., , , , , and , et al.