Young Indigenous Australians' Sexually Transmitted Infection Prevention Practices: A Community-based Participatory Research Project
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology
Volume 22, Issue 6, pages 519–532, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Mooney-Somers, J., Olsen, A., Erick, W., Scott, R., Akee, A. and Maher, L. (2012), Young Indigenous Australians' Sexually Transmitted Infection Prevention Practices: A Community-based Participatory Research Project. J. Community. Appl. Soc. Psychol., 22: 519–532. doi: 10.1002/casp.1134
- Issue online: 2 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 NOV 2011
- 2006). Preachers, policies and power: The reproductive health of adolescent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 17(2), 85–90. (
- 2008. Tuesday 5 February). Sexual Health Shame. The Australian. . (
- 2009). Why embarrassment inhibits the acquisition and use of condoms: A qualitative approach to understanding risky sexual behaviour. Journal of Adolescence, 32(2), 379–391. (
- 2006). Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 3, 77–101. , & (
- 2004). Strong in the city: Towards a strength-based approach in Indigenous health promotion. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 15(3), 215–220. , , & (
- 2006). Developing ethical sexual lives: young people, sex and sexual assault prevention. Penrith: University of Western Sydney. , & (
- 2000). Sustaining sexual safety in relationships: HIV positive people and their sexual partners. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 2(4), 473–487. , & (
- 2003). Sex in Australia: Safer sex and condom use. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 27, 223–229. , , , , & (
- Department of Health and Aging. (2005). National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus Strategy 2005–2008. Canberra: Department of Health and Aging, Australian Government.
- 2010). ‘I told him not to use condoms’: Masculinities, femininities and sexual health of Aboriginal Canadian young people. Sociology of Health & Illness, 32, 827–842. , & (
- 2007). Use of the male condom by heterosexual adolescents and young people: Literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 59(2), 103–110. , , , & (
- 2009). Sexpress: The Toronto Teen Survey Report. Toronto, ON: Planned Parenthood Toronto. , , , , , , & . (
- 2008). “It's hard to change something when you don't know where to start”: Unpacking HIV vulnerability with Aboriginal youth in Canada. Pimatisiwin: A Journal of Aboriginal and Indigenous Community Health 5(2), 175–200. , , , , , ,… . (
- 2009). The ineffable disease: Exploring young people's discourses about HIV/AIDS in Alberta, Canada. Qualitative Health Research, 19(6), 790–801. , & (
- 2003). Queensland Indigenous Sexual Health Strategy 2003–2006. Brisbane: Queensland Government. . (
- 1999). “I'd never share a needle'…[but I often have unsafe sex]: Considering the paradox of young people's sex and drugs talk. Culture, Health and Sexuality, 1(4), 347–361. , , & (
- 1998). “When you carry condoms all the boys think you want it”: Negotiating competing discourses about safe sex. Journal of Adolescence, 21, 15–29. , , & (
- 2004). Young people, HIV/AIDS/STIs and sexuality in South Africa: The gap between awareness and behaviour. Acta Paediatrica, 93(2), 264–269. , , , & (
- 2000). Partner-specific relationship characteristics and condom use among young people with sexually transmitted diseases. Journal of Sex Research, 37(1), 69–75. , , , , (
- 2007). Attitudes and behaviours of young indigenous people in Townsville concerning relationships, sex and contraception: The “U Mob Yarn Up” project. Medical Journal of Australia, 186(10), 513–518. , , , , , .,… . (
- 1995). Sexual communication in the age of AIDS: The construction of risk and trust among young adults. Social Science & Medicine, 41(9), 1311–1323. (
- 2006). Factors that shape young people's sexual behaviour: A systematic review. Lancet, 368, 1581–1586. , & (
- 2003). Predictors of the prevalence of bacterial STI among young disadvantaged Indigenous people in north Queensland, Australia. Sexually Transmitted Infections, 79(4), 332–335. , , , , & (
- 2009). The Indigenous Resiliency Project: A worked example of community-based participatory research. NSW Public Health Bulletin, 20, 112–118. , & (
- 2008). Indigenous Resiliency Project Participatory Action Research Component: A report on the Research Training and Development Workshop, Townsville, February 2008. Sydney: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales. , , , , & (
- 2011). Learning from the past: Young Indigenous people's accounts of blood-borne viral and sexually transmitted infections as resilience narratives. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 13(2), 173–186. , , , , , , & (
- 2009). Sexual health through the eyes of Indigenous youth: Community-based participatory research with young Indigenous people in Townsville. Sydney: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales. , , , , , & (
- National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research. (2009a). Bloodborne viral and sexually transmitted infections in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People: Surveillance and Evaluation Report 2009. Sydney, NSW: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales.
- National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research. (2009b). HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis and sexually transmissible infections in Australia Annual Surveillance Report 2009. Sydney, NSW: National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, The University of New South Wales.
- 2006). Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections in pregnant urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in northern Australia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 46(3), 217–224. , , , , , , & . (
- 2008). Challenging our own practices in Indigenous health promotion and research. Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 19(3), 197. , , & (
- 2008. Monday 4 February). Drastic action needed to end STDs. The Australian. (
- 2010). Sex, condoms and sexually transmissible infections: A qualitative study of sexual health in young Australian men. Archives of Sexual Behavior. , , , , , & (Published Online First: 10 September
- 2007). Report on the sexual health education of young people in Western Australia. Perth: Western Australia Health. , & (
- Stancome Research and Planning. (2008). Formative research for the National Sexually Transmitted Infections (including HIV/AIDS) prevention program. Canberra: Department of Health and Aging.
- Stancome Research and Planning. (2009). Measuring awareness and attitudes among young Australians towards STIs, including HIV/AIDS. Canberra: Department of Health and Aging.
- 2007). Aboriginal women's stories of sexually transmissible infection transmission and condom use in remote central Australia. Sexual Health, 4, 237–242. , & (
- 2004). Community-Based Participatory Research: Assessing the evidence. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. , , , , , , & (
- 2007). Gender differences in condom use behavior? The role of power and partner-type. Sex Roles, 58(9–10), 689–701. , & (