E-Word-of-Mouth on health social networking sites: An opportunity for tailored health communication
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Consumer Behaviour
Special Issue: Untangling the Web: Exploring the boundaries of Social Media and Consumer Generated Content
Volume 10, Issue 6, pages 322–331, November/December 2011
How to Cite
Liang, B. and Scammon, D. L. (2011), E-Word-of-Mouth on health social networking sites: An opportunity for tailored health communication. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 10: 322–331. doi: 10.1002/cb.378
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2011
- 2001. An exploratory study of social support, distress, and life disruption among low-income hispanic women under treatment for early stage breast cancer. Health Psychology 20(1): 41–46. , , , , .
- 1995. Communication networks and the rise of an information elite: do computers help the rich get richer? International Conference on Information Systems. Available at http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1052&context=icis1995 [accessed on 2 March 2010]. , .
- 2000. Communication: the royal pathway to patient-centered medicine. Patient Education and Counseling 39(1): 1–3. Available at http://nvl002.axila.nl/postprint/PPpp1909.pdf [accessed on 1 March 2010]. , , , .
- 2001. Sources of support and the physical and mental well-being of young women with breast cancer. Social Science & Medicine 53(11): 1513–1524. , , , , .
- 2007. Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 13(1), article 11. Available at http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html [accessed on February 5, 2011]. , .
- 1999. Communication of social support in computer-mediated groups for people with disabilities. Health Communication 11(2): 123–151. , , .
- 2010. Vacationers and eWOM: Who posts, and why, where and what. Journal of Travel Research 7(January): 1–12. , .
- 1989. Assessing coping strategies: A theoretically based approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 56(2): 267–283. , , .
- 2008. Online consumer review: Word-of-mouth as a new element of marketing communication mix, Management Science 54 (3): 477–491. , .
- 2001. Consumer health information seeking on the Internet: The state of the art. Health Education Research 16(6): 671–692. , .
- Compete.com. 2011. Site statistics for Dailystrength.org. Available at http://siteanalytics.compete.com/dailystrength.org/ [accessed on 30 June 2011].
- 2000. Who talks? the social psychology of illness support groups. American Psychologists 55(2): 205–217. , , .
- 2008. An exploratory study of Canadian aboriginal online healthcare forums. Health Communication 23(3): 270–281. , .
- 2008. Soliciting and providing social support over the Internet: An investigation of online eating disorder support groups. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 14: 67–78. .
- 1980. An analysis of coping in a middle-aged community sample. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 21(3): 219–239. , .
- 2009. The social life of health information. Available at http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2009/8-The-Social-Life-of-Health-Information.aspx [accessed on 2 February 2010]. , .
- 2006. Obesity and risk of low self-esteem: A statewide survey of Australian children. Pediatrics 118(6): 2481–2487. , , , , .
- 2008. Online participation: A content analysis of differences in utilization of two online cancer communities by men and women, patients and family Members. Health Communication 23: 1–12. .
- 2001. Night eating syndrome is associated with depression, low self-esteem, reduced daytime hunger, and less weight loss in obese outpatients. Obesity Research 9: 264–267. , , .
- 2009. Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology. Teachers College Press: New York .
- 2006. Learning and knowledge-building in open-source communities: A social-experiential approach. Management Learning June(37): 187–214. , .
- 2007. Do increases in patient activation result in improved self-management behaviors? Health Research and Educational Trust 42(4): 1443–1463. , , , .
- 2000. Virtual Ethnography. Sage Publications: London, UK. .
- 2002. Situated cognition and problem-based learning: implications for learning and instruction with technology. Journal of Interactive Learning Research 13(4): 393–415. .
- 2006. An online forum as a qualitative research method. Nursing Research 55(4): 267–273. , .
- 2002. The field behind the screen: using netnography for marketing research in online communities. Journal of Marketing Research 39(February): 61–72. .
- 1998. Prognostic importance of emotional support for elderly patients hospitalized with heart failure. American Heart Association 97: 958–964. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Emotional support as a moderator of adjustment and compliance after coronary artery bypass surgery: A longitudinal study. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 16(1): 45–63. , .
- 1990. The case of motivated reasoning. Psychological Bulletin 108(November): 480–498. .
- 1991. Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK. , .
- 2008. The return of the house call: The role of internet-based interactivity in bringing health information home to older adults. Health Communication 23: 34–44. , .
- 2005. A multilevel analysis of sociability, usability, and community dynamics in an online health community. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction 12(2): 201–232. , .
- 2005. Health psychology: Theory, Research and Practice. Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA. , , .
- 2011. Unintended consequences of health supplement information regulations: The importance of recognizing consumer motivations. Journal of Consumer Affairs 45(2): 201–223. , .
- 2002. Patient and caregiver interest in internet-based cancer service. Cancer Practice 10(6): 305–310. , , .
- 2008. Digital Ethnography: An examination of the use of new technologies for social Research. Sociology 42(5): 837–855. .
- 2004. Advertainment or Adcreep? Game players' attitudes toward advertising and product placements in computer games. Journal of Interactive Advertising 5(1): 3–21. , , .
- 1995. Doctor-patient communication: a review of the literature. Social Science & Medicine 40(7): 903–918. , , , .
- 2002. The obesity epidemic: Pathophysiology and consequences of obesity. Obesity Research 10(2): 97–104. .
- 2001. Bias, discrimination, and obesity. Obesity Research 9(12): 788–805. , .
- 2006. Advancing tailored health communication: A persuasion and message effects perspective. Journal of Communication 56: 184–201. , .
- 2006. The strategic use of gain- and loss-framed messages to promote healthy behavior: How theory can inform practice. Journal of Communication 56: 202–220. , , , .
- 2004. Field experiments in social psychology: message framing and the promotion of health protective behaviors. American Behavioral Scientist 47(85): 488–505. , .
- 2003. Weight bias among health professionals specializing in obesity. Obesity Research 11(9): 1033–1039. , , , , .
- 1997. Communicating breast cancer on-line: Support and empowerment on the Internet. Women & Health 26(1): 65–84. .
- 2000. Childhood obesity and self-esteem. Pediatrics 105(1). Available at http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/105/1/e15 [accessed on 25 March 2010]. .
- 2003. Health Psychology (6th edn). McGraw-Hill: New York, NY. .
- 1986. Social support as coping assistance. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 54(4): 416–423. .
- 1995. Stress, coping, and social support processes: where are we? what next? Journal of Health and Social Behavior 35: 53–79. .
- 2008. Word of mouth and physician referrals still drive health care provider choice. Research Brief from Center for Studying Health System Change 9(December). Available at http://www.hschange.com/CONTENT/1028/1028.pdf [accessed on 2 April 2010]. , .
- 2007. The effects of message quality and congruency on perceptions of tailored health communications. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 43(2): 249–257. , , , .
- Wadden TA, Stuckard AJ (eds). 2004. Handbook of Obesity Treatment. The Guilford Press: New York, NY.
- 2003. Psychology Applied to Modern life: Adjustment in the 21st Century (7th ed.). Wadsworth Publishing: Florence, KY. , , .