Xueting Wang and Yunzhao Zhao have contributed equally to this work.
Association between a functional variant at PTGS2 gene 3′UTR and its mRNA expression in lymphoblastoid cell lines†
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2013
© 2013 International Federation for Cell Biology
Cell Biology International
Volume 37, Issue 5, pages 516–519, May 2013
How to Cite
Wang, X., Zhao, Y., Wang, Y., Wang, Z. and Guan, X. (2013), Association between a functional variant at PTGS2 gene 3′UTR and its mRNA expression in lymphoblastoid cell lines. Cell Biology International, 37: 516–519. doi: 10.1002/cbin.10066
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 8 FEB 2013 07:49AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 DEC 2012
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 81272252
- Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province. Grant Number: BK2011656
PTGS2 genetic 3′ untranslated region (3′UTR) miRNA binding sites variants are significantly associated with cancer risk; however, the roles of genetic variants in PTGS2 gene 3′UTR and post-transcriptional regulation have not been elucidated. We report that rs689470 and rs5275 in the PTGS2 3′UTR have potential miRNA-binding sites by using bioinformatics analysis. However, only the rs689470 was significantly associated with PTGS2 mRNA expression in lymphoblastoid cell lines (P = 0.026), but not for rs5275 (P = 0.626). rs689470 might be putative variants mediating the post-transcriptional regulation of target PTGS2 gene. Better understanding of how 3′UTR variants regulate PTGS2 activity will pave the way to targeting the PTGS2 pathway in cancer therapy.