SEARCH

SEARCH BY CITATION

Keywords:

  • non-bituminous combustibles;
  • conceptual model;
  • bitumen;
  • oil sands;
  • tailings

Abstract

The hot water process has recovered approximately 90% of the bitumen in oil sands, but the remaining 10% of bitumen and naphtha has been lost to the tailings pond. Recovery of bitumen and non-bituminous combustibles (NBC) from centrifuge, scroll and final tailings has been considered. The effects of four sequestering agents, and of chemical additives such as CaCl2 and FeCl3 on the flotation behavior of bitumen, NBC and minerals in these tailings have been investigated. A simple method of isolating NBC materials has been developed. The flotation of both bitumen and NBC was enhanced by phosphate treatment and depressed by EDTA. NBC was characterized by its physical properties, energy content, functionality and chemical analysis. A conceptual model explains the interactions between the bitumen, minerals and NBC fractions present in tailings slurries.

Le procédé à l'eau chaude permet de récupérer approximativement 90% des bitumes dans les sables pétrolifères, mais les 10% restants de bitume et de naphta sont perdus dans le bassin des résidus. On examine ici la récupération de bitumes et de combustibles non bitumineux (NBC) venant de résidus centrifugés, laminés et finaux. Les effets de quatre agents de séquestration et d'additifs chimiques comme le CaCl2 et le FeCl3 sur le comportement de flottation des bitumes, des NBC et des minéraux ont été étudiés. On a mis au point une méthode simple pour isoler les matériaux NBC. La flottation des bitumes et des NBC est améliorée par le traitement au phosphate et est dégradée par l'EDTA. Le NBC est car-actérisé par ses propriétés physiques, sa teneur énergétique, sa fonctionnalité et sa composition. Un modèle conceptuel explique le interactions entre les fractions de bitumes, de minéraux et de NBC dans les boues résiduelles.