Thanos Athanasiou proposed the original concept for the study and supervised this research. Jacob Chacko and Leanne Harling performed the literature search, and wrote and edited the manuscript. Data analysis was performed by Leanne Harling and Hutan Ashrafian. Leanne Harling, Hutan Ashrafian, and Thanos Athanasiou together edited and finalized the manuscript. All authors have read and approved the manuscript prior to submission.
Can Statins Improve Outcomes After Isolated Cardiac Valve Surgery? A Systematic Literature Review
Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 36, Issue 8, pages 448–455, August 2013
How to Cite
Chacko, J., Harling, L., Ashrafian, H. and Athanasiou, T. (2013), Can Statins Improve Outcomes After Isolated Cardiac Valve Surgery? A Systematic Literature Review. Clin Cardiol, 36: 448–455. doi: 10.1002/clc.22140
The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 11 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2013
- 2Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels. The Long-Term Intervention with Pravastatin in Ischaemic Disease (LIPID) Study Group. N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1349–1357.
- 12Are statins effective in preventing bioprosthetic aortic valve failure? A need for a prospective, randomized trial. Ital Heart J. 2004;5:85–88., , , et al.
- 26Randomized trial of atorvastatin for reduction of postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: results of the ARMYDA-3 (Atorvastatin for Reduction of MYocardial Dysrhythmia After cardiac surgery) study. Circulation. 2006;114:1455–1461., , , et al.
- 29The Joint Task Force on the Management of Valvular Heart Disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS); , , , et al. Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease (version 2012). Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2451–2496.
- 30Butchart EG, Working Groups on Valvular Heart Disease, Thrombosis, and Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology, European Society of Cardiology. Recommendations for the management of patients after heart valve surgery. Eur Heart J. 2005;26:2463–2471, , et al.
- 48The effects of atorvastatin on the occurrence of postoperative atrial fibrillation after off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting surgery. Am Heart J. 2008;156:373 e9–e16., , , et al.