The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.
Landmark Lipid-Lowering Trials in the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume 36, Issue 9, pages 516–523, September 2013
How to Cite
Chrispin, J., Martin, S. S., Hasan, R. K., Joshi, P. H., Minder, C. M., McEvoy, J. W., Kohli, P., Johnson, A. E., Wang, L., Blaha, M. J. and Blumenthal, R. S. (2013), Landmark Lipid-Lowering Trials in the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. Clin Cardiol, 36: 516–523. doi: 10.1002/clc.22147
- Issue online: 9 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2013
- 1World Health Organization. Global Atlas on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Control: Policies, Strategies, and Interventions. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011., , ;
- 3Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. 2001;285:2486–2497.
- 12Comparison of the Framingham and Reynolds risk scores for global cardiovascular risk prediction in the multiethnic Women's Health Initiative. Circulation. 2012;125:1748–1756, S1–S11., , , et al.
- 19Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial–Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;361:1149–1158., , , et al.
- 26Arterial Biology for the Investigation of the Treatment Effects of Reducing Cholesterol (ARBITER) 2: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of extended-release niacin on atherosclerosis progression in secondary prevention patients treated with statins. Circulation. 2004;110:3512–3517., , , et al.
- 34Comparison of ezetimibe plus simvastatin versus simvastatin monotherapy on atherosclerosis progression in familial hypercholesterolemia: design and rationale of the Ezetimibe and Simvastatin in Hypercholesterolemia Enhances Atherosclerosis Regression (ENHANCE) trial. Am Heart J. 2005;149:234–239., , , et al.
- 37Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of a monoclonal antibody to proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 as monotherapy in patients with hypercholesterolaemia (MENDEL): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 study. Lancet. 2012;380:1995–2006., , , et al.
- 46, , . LDL cholesterol: the lower the better [published correction appears in Med Clin North Am. 2012;96:xv–xvi]. Med Clin North Am. 2012;96:13–26.
- 502009 focused updates: ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction (updating the 2004 guideline and 2007 focused update) and ACC/AHA/SCAI guidelines on percutaneous coronary intervention (updating the 2005 guideline and 2007 focused update): a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54:2205–2241., , , et al.