Views and Reviews
The centrosome: The centriole-PCM coalition
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2003
Copyright © 2003 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 1–7, January 2004
How to Cite
Ou, Y., Zhang, M. and Rattner, J. B. (2004), The centrosome: The centriole-PCM coalition. Cell Motil. Cytoskeleton, 57: 1–7. doi: 10.1002/cm.10154
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2003
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Received: 29 APR 2003
- 1999. Molecular characteristics of the centrosome. Int Rev Cytol 187: 51–109. .
- 1998. Centriole disassembly in vivo and its effect on centrosome structure and function in vertebrate cells. J Cell Biol 143: 1575–1589. , , , , , .
- 2002. Centrosome composition and microtubule anchoring mechanisms. Curr Opin Cell Biol 14: 25–34. .
- 1987. Structural and chemical characterization of isolated centrosomes. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 8: 238–249. , , , , .
- 1981. Tubulin assembly sites and the organization of cytoplasmic microtubules in cultured mammalian cells. J Cell Biol 90: 554–562. , , , , , .
- 1997. Reconstruction of the centrosome cycle from cyroelectron micrographs. J Struct Biol 120: 117–133. , , , .
- 1998. Pericentrin and gamma-tubulin form a protein complex and are organized into a novel lattice at the centrosome. J Cell Biol 141: 163–174. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Centrosomes as command centres for cellular control. Nat Cell Biol 3: E105–108. .
- 1998. A centrosomal function for the human Nek2 protein kinase, a member of the NIMA family of cell cycle regulators. EMBO J 17: 470–481. , , .
- 1977. The pericentriolar material in Chinese hamster ovary cells nucleates microtubule formation. J Cell Biol 73: 601–615. , .
- 1999. Cell cycle-dependent localization of monoclonal antibodies raised against isolated Dictyostelium centrosomes. Biol Cell 91: 471–477. , , .
- 1999. The sudden recruitment of gamma-tubulin to the centrosome at the onset of mitosis and its dynamic exchange throughout the cell cycle, do not require microtubules. J Cell Biol 146: 585–596. , .
- 2000. Centrosome-independent mitotic spindle formation in vertebrates. Curr Biol 10: 59–67. , , , .
- 2002. De novo formation of centrosomes in vertebrate cells arrested during S phase. J Cell Biol 158: 1171–1181. , , , , , .
- 2003. SAS-4 is a C. elegans centriolar protein that controls centrosome size. Cell 112: 575–587. , , , , .
- 2003. Non-membranous granular organelle consisting of PCM-1: subcellular distribution and cell-cycle-dependent assembly/disassembly. J Cell Sci 116: 919–928. , .
- 1981. Microtubule-nucleating activity of centrosomes in Chinese hamster ovary cells is independent of the centriole cycle but coupled to the mitotic cycle. J Cell Biol 91: 822–826. , .
- 1993. Centrosome repositioning immediately following karyokinesis and prior to cytokinesis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 26: 239–247. , .
- 2000. Integrating centrosome structure with protein composition and function in animal cells. Microsc Res Tech 49: 409–419. , , .
- 2000. The centrosomal protein C-Nap1 is required for cell cycle-regulated centrosome cohesion. J Cell Biol 151: 837–846. , , , , .
- 2002. The centrosome is a dynamic structure that ejects PCM flares. J Cell Sci 115: 4707–4718. , , , .
- 2001. Centrosome cohesion is regulated by a balance of kinase and phosphatase activities. J Cell Sci 114: 3749–3757. , .
- 2000. Microtubule minus-end anchorage at centrosomal and non-centrosomal sites: the role of ninein. J Cell Sci 113: 3013–3023. , , , , .
- 1995. Three-dimensional structural characterization of centrosomes from early Drosophila embryos. J Cell Biol 130: 1149–1159. , , , , , .
- 2000. A subset of centrosomal proteins are arranged in a tubular conformation that is reproduced during centrosome duplication. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 47: 13–24. , .
- 2002. Post-karyokinesis centrosome movement leaves a trail of unanswered questions. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 51: 123–132. , .
- 2002. CEP110 and ninein are located in a specific domain of the centrosome associated with centrosome maturation. J Cell Sci 115: 1825–1835. , , , .
- 2003. Higher order structure of the PCM adjacent to the centriole. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 55: 125–133. , , , , .
- 1992. Centrosome organization and centriole architecture: their sensitivity to divalent cations. J Struct Biol 108: 107–128. , , , .
- 1998. The disassembly and reassembly of functional centrosomes in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 95: 9295–9300. , , , .
- 1997. Centrosomes isolated from Spisula solidissima oocytes contain rings and an unusual stoichiometric ratio of alpha/beta tubulin. J Cell Biol 137: 193–202. , , , .
- 1987. The centrosome and its role in the organization of microtubules. Int Rev Cytol 106: 227–293. , .
- 2000. Construction of centrosomes and spindle poles by molecular motor-driven assembly of protein particles. Traffic 1: 927–934. , .