α-actinin revisited: A fresh look at an old player
Article first published online: 5 APR 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 104–111, June 2004
How to Cite
Otey, C. A. and Carpen, O. (2004), α-actinin revisited: A fresh look at an old player. Cell Motil. Cytoskeleton, 58: 104–111. doi: 10.1002/cm.20007
- Issue published online: 5 APR 2004
- Article first published online: 5 APR 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Received: 23 FEB 2003
- NIH. Grant Numbers: NS43253, GM61743
- Academy of Finland
- Sigrid Juselius Foundation
- 1996. Characterization of densin-180, a new brain-specific synaptic protein of the O-sialoglycoprotein family. J Neurosci 16: 6839–6852. , , .
- 2000. Actinin-4 is preferentially involved in circular ruffling and macropinocytosis in mouse macrophages: analysis by fluorescence ratio imaging. J Cell Sci 113: 3329–3340. , , , .
- 2003. ADIP, a novel Afadin- and alpha-actinin-binding protein localized at cell-cell adherens junctions. J Biol Chem 278: 4103–4111. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Myopalladin, a novel 145-kilodalton sarcomeric protein with multiple roles in Z-disc and I-band protein assemblies. J Cell Biol 153: 413–427 , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Human CLP36, a PDZ-domain and LIM-domain protein, binds to alpha-actinin-1 and associates with actin filaments and stress fibers in activated platelets and endothelial cells. Blood 96: 4236–4245. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Zyxin: zinc fingers at sites of cell adhesion. Bioessays 19: 949–957. .
- 1987. Interaction of iodinated vinculin, metavinculin and alpha-actinin with cytoskeletal proteins. FEBS Lett 220: 291–294. , .
- 2002. Regulation of focal complex composition and disassembly by the calcium-dependent protease calpain. J Cell Sci 115: 3415–3425. , , , .
- 2001. A role for the cytoskeleton-associated protein palladin in neurite outgrowth. Mol Biol Cell 12: 2721–2729. , , , , , .
- 2003. A critical role for palladin in astrocyte morphology and response to injury. Mol Cell Neurosci 23: 661–668. , , , , , .
- 2002. Towards a complete atomic structure of spectrin family proteins. J Struct Biol 137: 184–193. , .
- 2003. The adenosine A2A receptor interacts with the actin-binding protein alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem 278: 37545–37552. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Non-muscle α-actinins are calcium sensitive actin binding proteins. Nature 294: 565–567. , .
- 2001. Metalloprotease-disintegrin ADAM 12 interacts with alpha-actinin-1. Biochem J 357: 353–361. , , .
- 1992. Association of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) with actin-containing cytoskeleton and alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 118: 1223–1234. , , , .
- 1999. MEKK1 interacts with alpha-actinin and localizes to stress fibers and focal adhesions. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton 43: 186–198. , , .
- 1992. An interaction between zyxin and alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 116: 1381–1393. , , .
- 2003. MEKK1 regulates calpain-dependent proteolysis of focal adhesion proteins for rear-end detachment of migrating fibroblasts. EMBO J 22: 3346–3355. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hypoxia inactivates inducible nitric oxide synthase in mouse macrophages by disrupting its interaction with alpha-actinin 4. J Immunol 171: 3225–3232. , , , , , .
- 2002. The spectrin repeat: a structural platform for cytoskeletal protein assemblies. FEBS Lett 513: 119–123. , , , .
- 2001. Reduced cell migration and disruption of the actin cytoskeleton in calpain-deficient embryonic fibroblasts. J Biol Chem 276: 48382–48288. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Molecular dissection of zyxin function reveals its involvement in cell motility. J Cell Biol 147: 1549–1560. , , .
- 2001. Cytoplasmic anchorage of L-selectin controls leukocyte capture and rolling by increasing the mechanical stability of the selectin tether. J Cell Biol 155: 145–156. , , .
- 1996. Identification of the 70kD heat shock cognate protein (Hsc70) and alpha-actinin-1 as novel phosphotyrosine-containing proteins in T lymphocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 224: 666–674. , , , , .
- 2002. Pathological shear stress stimulates the tyrosine phosphorylation of alpha-actinin associated with the glycoprotein Ib-IX complex. Biochemistry 41: 1100–1108. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Phosphoinositide binding inhibits alpha-actinin bundling activity. J Biol Chem 278: 24039–24045. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Modulation of alpha-actinin levels affects cell motility and confers tumorigenicity on 3T3 cells. J Cell Sci 107: 1773–1782. , .
- 2001. Interactions of a hemidesmosome component and actinin family members. J Cell Sci 114: 4197–4206. , , , .
- 2003. Syndecan-4 associates with alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem 278: 7617–7623. , , , .
- 2000. Restructuring of focal adhesion plaques by PI 3-kinase. Regulation by PtdIns (3,4,5)-p(3) binding to alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 150: 627–642. , , , .
- 2002. Functional role of alpha-actinin, PI 3-kinase and MEK1/2 in insulin-like growth factor I receptor kinase regulated motility of human breast carcinoma cells. J Cell Sci 115: 4149–4165. , , .
- 2000. Myotilin is mutated in limb girdle muscular dystrophy 1A. Hum Mol Genet 9: 2141–2147. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Binding of the cytoplasmic domain of intercellular adhesion molecule-2 (ICAM-2) to alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem 271: 26214–26219. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Actinin-4, a novel actin-bundling protein associated with cell motility and cancer invasion. J Cell Biol 140: 1383–1393. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Tyrosine phosphorylation of alpha-actinin in activated platelets. J Biol Chem 274: 37012–37020. , , , , .
- 2001. The cytoskeletal/non-muscle isoform of alpha-actinin is phosphorylated on its actin-binding domain by the focal adhesion kinase. J Biol Chem 276: 28676–28685. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The cytoplasmic domains of E- and P-selectin do not constitutively interact with alpha-actinin and are not essential for leukocyte adhesion. J Immunol 157: 321–325. , .
- 2000. Mutations in ACTN4, encoding alpha-actinin-4, cause familial focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Nat Genet 24: 251–256. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Physical and functional interaction of rabphilin-3A with alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem 271: 31775–31778. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Ca(2+)-dependent inhibition of Na+/H+ exchanger 3 (NHE3) requires an NHE3-E3KARP-alpha-actinin-4 complex for oligomerization and endocytosis. J Biol Chem 277: 23714–23724. , , , , , .
- 1995. Interaction of alpha-actinin with the cadherin/catenin cell-cell adhesion complex via alpha-catenin. J Cell Biol 130: 67–77. , , , .
- 2003. Mice deficient in alpha-actinin-4 have severe glomerular disease. J Clin Invest 111: 1683–1690. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Interactions of calmodulin and alpha-actinin with the NR1 subunit modulate Ca2+-dependent inactivation of NMDA receptors. J Neurosci 19: 1165–1178 , , , , .
- 1975. Alpha-actinin: immunofluorescent localization of a muscle structural protein in nonmuscle cells. Cell 6: 289–298. , .
- 2003. Leading the way: directional sensing through phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and other signaling pathways. J Cell Sci 116: 3471–3478. , .
- 2003. Focal and segmental glomerulosclerosis in mice with podocyte-specific expression of mutant alpha-actinin-4. J Am Soc Nephrol 14: 1200–1211. , , , , , .
- 1997. Interaction of PKN with alpha-actinin. J Biol Chem 272: 4740–4746. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of human palladin, a microfilament-associated protein. Mol Biol Cell 12: 3060–3073. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The human non-muscle alpha-actinin protein encoded by the ACTN4 gene suppresses tumorigenicity of human neuroblastoma cells. Oncogene 19: 380–386. , , , , , .
- 2001. Targeting of zyxin to sites of actin membrane interaction and to the nucleus. J Biol Chem 276: 34759–34767. , , , , , , .
- 1990. An interaction between alpha-actinin and the beta 1 integrin subunit in vitro. J Cell Biol 111: 721–729. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of palladin, a novel protein localized to stress fibers and cell adhesions. J Cell Biol 150: 643–656. , .
- 2002. Interaction of two actin-binding proteins, synaptopodin and alpha-actinin-4, with the tight junction protein MAGI-1. J Biol Chem 277: 30183–30190. , , , , .
- 1991. Disruption of the actin cytoskeleton after microinjection of proteolytic fragments of alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 114: 481–491. , .
- 1993. Activation of human neutrophils induces an interaction between the integrin beta 2-subunit (CD18) and the actin binding protein alpha-actinin. J Immunol 151: 3795–3807. , .
- 1995. The cytoplasmic domain of L-selectin interacts with cytoskeletal proteins via alpha-actinin: receptor positioning in microvilli does not require interaction with alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 129: 1155–1164. , , , , , .
- 1997. CRP1, a LIM domain protein implicated in muscle differentiation, interacts with alpha-actinin. J Cell Biol 139: 157–168. , , .
- 2002. Dissecting the link between stress fibres and focal adhesions by CALI with EGFP fusion proteins. Nat Cell Biol 4: 286–293. , , , , .
- 1999. An alpha-actinin binding site of zyxin is essential for subcellular zyxin localization and alpha-actinin recruitment. J Biol Chem 274: 13410–13418. , , , , , .
- 2004. von Willebrand factor binding to platelet glycoprotein Ib-IX-V stimulates the assembly of an alpha-actinin-based signaling complex. J Thromb Haemost 2: 161–169. , , , .
- 1999. Myotilin, a novel sarcomeric protein with two Ig-like domains, is encoded by a candidate gene for limb-girdle muscular dystrophy. Hum Mol Genet 8: 1329–1336. , , , , , .
- 1994. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase binds to alpha-actinin through the p85 subunit. Biochem J 302: 551–557. , , , .
- 1992. A sarcomeric alpha-actinin truncated at the carboxyl end induces the breakdown of stress fibers in PtK2 cells and the formation of nemaline-like bodies and breakdown of myofibrils in myotubes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 9282–9286. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The three-dimensional structure of alpha-actinin obtained by cryoelectron microscopy suggests a model for Ca(2+)-dependent actin binding. J Mol Biol 310: 845–858. , , .
- 2002. Clik1: a novel kinase targeted to actin stress fibers by the CLP-36 PDZ-LIM. J Cell Sci 115: 2067–2073. , .
- 2000. CLP-36 PDZ-LIM protein associates with nonmuscle alpha-actinin-1 and alpha-actinin-4. J Biol Chem 275: 11100–11105. , , .
- 1987. Specific interaction of vinculin with alpha-actinin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 146: 554–560. , , .
- 2001. Densin-180 forms a ternary complex with the (alpha)-subunit of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II and (alpha)-actinin. J Neurosci 21: 423–433. , , , , , .
- 1997. Competitive binding of alpha-actinin and calmodulin to the NMDA receptor. Nature 385: 439–442. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Differential regional expression and ultrastructural localization of alpha-actinin-2, a putative NMDA receptor-anchoring protein, in rat brain. J Neurosci 18: 1383–1392. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Crystal structure of the alpha-actinin rod reveals an extensive torsional twist. Structure (Camb) 9: 597–604. , , , .
- 2000. MEK kinase 1 gene disruption alters cell migration and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase regulation but does not cause a measurable defect in NF-kappa B activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97: 7272–7277. , , , , , , , , , , , , .