The authors would like to dedicate this work to their friend and colleague Megan L. Dietz, a talented graduate student who died suddenly and unexpectedly during the course of these studies.
Shroom4 (Kiaa1202) is an actin-associated protein implicated in cytoskeletal organization†
Article first published online: 28 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton
Volume 64, Issue 1, pages 49–63, January 2007
How to Cite
Yoder, M. and Hildebrand, J. D. (2007), Shroom4 (Kiaa1202) is an actin-associated protein implicated in cytoskeletal organization. Cell Motil. Cytoskeleton, 64: 49–63. doi: 10.1002/cm.20167
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 28 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2006
- NIH. Grant Number: RO1GM067525
- 2001. Endocytic traffic in polarized epithelial cells: Role of the actin and microtubule cytoskeleton. Traffic 2(3): 149–159.
- 2000. Parallel actin bundles and their multiple actin-bundling proteins. Curr Opin Cell Biol 12(1): 72–78.
- 2004. Myosin-dependent junction remodeling controls planar cell intercalation and axis elongation. Nature 429(6992): 667–671. , ,
- 2005. Adhesion proteins and the control of cell shape. Curr Opin Genet Dev 15(4): 358–363.
- 2005. Folded gastrulation, cell shape change and the control of myosin localization. Development 132(18): 4165–4178. , , , , ,
- 2006. Differential actin-dependent localization modulates the evolutionarily conserved activity of Shroom family proteins. J Biol Chem 281(29): 20542–20554. , , , ,
- 2005. Nonmuscle myosin II generates forces that transmit tension and drive contraction in multiple tissues during dorsal closure. Curr Biol 15(24): 2208–2221. , ,
- 1996. Mena, a relative of VASP and Drosophila enabled, is implicated in the control of microfilament dynamics. Cell 87(2): 227–239. , , , ,
- 2005. The molecular requirements for cytokinesis. Science 307(5716): 1735–1739.
- 2005. Disruptions of the novel KIAA1202 gene are associated with X-linked mental retardation. Hum Genet 118(5): 578–590. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2006. A new standard nomenclature for proteins related to Apx and Shroom. BMC Cell Biol 7: 18. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Shroom induces apical constriction and is required for hingepoint formation during neural tube closure. Curr Biol 13(24): 2125–2137. , , ,
- 2005. Shroom regulates epithelial cell shape via the apical positioning of an actomyosin network. J Cell Sci 118: 5191–5203.
- 1999. Shroom, a PDZ domain-containing actin-binding protein, is required for neural tube morphogenesis in mice. Cell 99(9): 486–497. ,
- 2004. Role for actin filament turnover and a myosin II motor in cytoskeleton-driven disassembly of the epithelial apical junctional complex. Mol Biol Cell 15(6): 2639–2651. , , ,
- 2003. Cross-linking of actin filaments by myosin II is a major contributor to cortical integrity and cell motility in restrictive environments. J Cell Sci 116(Part 18): 3761–3770. ,
- 2005. Myosin-II-dependent localization and dynamics of F-actin during cytokinesis. Curr Biol 15(8): 724–731. ,
- 2003. Sticky business: Orchestrating cellular signals at adherens junctions. Cell 112(4): 535–548. , ,
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms controlling actin filament dynamics in nonmuscle cells. Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 29: 545–576. , ,
- 1995. Cloning of a human homologue of the Xenopus laevis APX gene from the ocular albinism type 1 critical region. Hum Mol Genet 4(3): 373–382. , , , , ,
- 2005. ROCK-I regulates closure of the eyelids and ventral body wall by inducing assembly of actomyosin bundles. J Cell Biol 168(6): 941–953. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. Recognition of unique carboxyl-terminal motifs by distinct PDZ domains. Science 275(5296): 73–77. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Primary structure of an apical protein from Xenopus laevis that participates in amiloride-sensitive sodium channel activity. J Cell Biol 119(6): 1497–1506. , , , , ,
- 2003. Dissecting temporal and spatial control of cytokinesis with a myosin II inhibitor. Science 299(5613): 1743–1747. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Distinct roles of MLCK and ROCK in the regulation of membrane protrusions and focal adhesion dynamics during cell migration of fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 164(3): 427–439. , , , , , ,
- 2002. Spatial localization of mono-and diphosphorylated myosin II regulatory light chain at the leading edge of motile HeLa cells. Cell Struct Funct 27(6): 479–486. , , , ,
- 2002. Actin cable dynamics and Rho/Rock orchestrate a polarized cytoskeletal architecture in the early steps of assembling a stratified epithelium. Dev Cell 3(3): 367–381. , , ,
- 2001. Molecular complexity and dynamics of cell-matrix adhesions. J Cell Sci 114(Part 20): 3583–3590. ,
- 1999. Association of the epithelial sodium channel with Apx and α-spectrin in A6 renal epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 274(33): 23286–23295. , , , , ,