Monitoring Editor: Makoto Kinoshita
Rab8 GTPase as a regulator of cell shape†
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Volume 68, Issue 10, pages 527–539, October 2011
How to Cite
Peränen, J. (2011), Rab8 GTPase as a regulator of cell shape. Cytoskeleton, 68: 527–539. doi: 10.1002/cm.20529
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 17 AUG 2011 11:08AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 8 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2011
- 2005. Inhibition of metabotropic glutamate receptor signaling by the huntingtin-binding protein optineurin. J Biol Chem 280: 34840–34848. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The Rab8 GTPase selectively regulates AP-1B-dependent basolateral transport in polarized Madin-Darby canine kidney cells. J Cell Biol 163: 339–350. , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of a novel member of the Rab8 family from the rat basophilic leukemia cell line, RBL.2H3. J Cell Sci 109: 1265–1274. , , , , , .
- 2010. Differential role of Rab proteins in ciliary trafficking: Rab23 regulates smoothened levels. J Cell Sci 123: 1460–1467. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Myosin VI and its binding partner optineurin are involved in secretory vesicle fusion at the plasma membrane. Mol Biol Cell 22: 54–65. , , , , .
- 2007. MT1-MMP proinvasive activity is regulated by a novel Rab8-dependent exocytic pathway. EMBO J 26: 1499–1510. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Functional compartmentalization of endosomal trafficking for the synaptic delivery of AMPA receptors during long-term potentiation. J Neurosci 27: 13311–13315. , , , .
- 2010. A molecular network for de novo generation of the apical surface and lumen. Nat Cell Biol 12: 1035–1045. , , , , , .
- 1994. Specific interactions of Mss4 with members of the Rab GTPase subfamily. EMBO J 13: 5547–5558. , , , , .
- 2002. A tubular EHD1-containing compartment involved in the recycling of major histocompatibility complex class I molecules to the plasma membrane. EMBO J 21: 2557–2567. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Rab8 regulates the actin-based movement of melanosomes. Mol Biol Cell 16: 1640–1650. , , , , , .
- 2006. In-frame deletion in a novel centrosomal/ciliary protein CEP290/NPHP6 perturbs its interaction with RPGR and results in early-onset retinal degeneration in the rd16 mouse. Hum Mol Genet 15: 1847–1857. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular cloning of YPT1/SEC4-related cDNAs from an epithelial cell line. Mol Cell Biol 10: 6578–6585. , , , , .
- 2010. Myosin VI and optineurin are required for polarized EGFR delivery and directed migration. Traffic 11: 1290–1303. , , , .
- 1993. Function of the ypt2 gene in the exocytic pathway of Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell 4: 1069–1076. , , , .
- 1998. Rab11 is required for trans-golgi network-to-plasma membrane transport and a preferential target for GDP dissociation inhibitor. Mol Biol Cell 9: 3241–3257. , , , .
- 2001. Rab8b and its interacting partner TRIP8b are involved in regulated secretion in AtT20 cells. J Biol Chem 276: 13209–13216. , , , , .
- 2010. Overexpression of optineurin E50K disrupts Rab8 interaction and leads to a progressive retinal degeneration in mice. Hum Mol Genet 19: 2606–2615. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. R-Ras regulates beta1-integrin trafficking via effects on membrane ruffling and endocytosis. BMC Cell Biol 11: 14. , , , , .
- 2004. Abnormal alpha-synuclein interactions with Rab proteins in alpha-synuclein A30P transgenic mice. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 63: 302–313. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Mutant huntingtin impairs post-Golgi trafficking to lysosomes by delocalizing optineurin/Rab8 complex from the Golgi apparatus. Mol Biol Cell 20: 1478–1492. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Clathrin-independent endocytosis: a unique platform for cell signaling and PM remodeling. Cell Signal 21: 1–6. , , .
- 2010. Rab8 interacts with distinct motifs in alpha2B- and beta2-adrenergic receptors and differentially modulates their transport. J Biol Chem 285: 20369–20380. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rab8 is involved in zymogen granule formation in pancreatic acinar AR42J cells. Traffic 9: 964–979. , , , , .
- 2010. The cytoplasmic tail of fibrocystin contains a ciliary targeting sequence. J Cell Biol 188: 21–28. , , , .
- 2003. The C-terminal end of R-Ras contains a focal adhesion targeting signal. J Cell Sci 116: 3729–3738. , .
- 2004. Local control of AMPA recptor trafficking at the postsynaptic terminal by a small GTPase of the Rab family. J Biol Chem 279: 43870–43878. , , .
- 2008. The Parkinson's disease protein alpha-synuclein disrupts cellular Rab homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 145–150. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Rab6, Rab8, and MICAL3 cooperate in controlling docking and fusion of exocytotic carriers. Curr Biol 21: 1–8. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Integrins traffic rapidly via circular dorsal ruffles and macropinocytosis during stimulated cell migration. J Cell Biol 193: 61–70. , , , .
- 1995. Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis. Cell 84: 345–357. .
- 2004. Differential gene and protein expression in primary breast malignancies and their lymph node metastases as revealed by combined cDNA microarray and tissue microarray analysis. Cancer 100: 1110–1122. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FIP-2, a coiled coil protein, links Huntingtin to rab8 and modulates cellular morphogenesis. Curr Biol 10: 1603–1606. , .
- 2005. Purification and functional properties of a Rab8 specific GEF (Rabin3) in actin remodelling and polarized transport. Methods Enzymol 403: 284–295. , .
- 2002. A Rab8-specific GDP/GTP exchange factor is involved in actin remodeling and polarized membrane transport. Mol Biol Cell 13: 3268–3280. , , , .
- 2006. Characterization of the Rab8-specific membrane traffic route linked to protrusion formation. J Cell Sci 119: 4866–4877. , , , , , .
- 2008. Rab8b GTPase, a protein transport regulator, is an interacting partner of otoferlin, defective in a human autosomal recessive deafness form. Hum Mol Genet 17: 3814–3821. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Rab8 regulates basolateral secretory, but not recycling, traffic at the recycling endosome. Mol Biol Cell 19: 2059–2068. , .
- 2009. Ahi1, whose human ortholog is mutated in Joubert syndrome, is required for Rab8a localization, ciliogenesis and vesicle trafficking. Hum Mol Genet 18: 3926–3941. , , , , , .
- 2011. A structural basis for Low syndrome caused by mutations in the Rab8-binding domain of OCRL1. EMBO J 30: 1659–1670. , , , , , , .
- 1993a. Protein transport to dendritic plasma membrane of culturec neurons is regulated by rab8p. J Cell Biol 123: 47–55. , , , , , .
- 1993b. Rab8, a small GTPase in vesicular traffic between the TGN and the basolateral plasma membrane. J Cell Biol 123: 35–45. , , , , , .
- 1995. A deficiency of the small GTPase rab8 inhibits membrane traffic in developing neurons. Mol Cell Biol 15: 918–924. , , .
- 2008. Muscle cells engage Rab8A and myosin Vb in insulin-dependent GLUT4 translocation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295: 1016–1025. , .
- 2011. GTPases involved in vesicular trafficking: structures and mechanisms. Semin Cell Dev Biol 22: 48–56. , .
- 2006. Nucleotide exchange via local protein unfolding--structure of Rab8 in complex with MSS4. EMBO J 25: 1445–1455. , , , , .
- 2009. Myosin Vc is a molecular motor that functions in secretory granule trafficking. Mol Biol Cell 20: 4471–4488. , , , , .
- 2007. MICAL-L1 links EHD1 to tubular recycling endosomes and regulates receptor recycling. Mol Biol Cell 20: 5181–5194. , , , , .
- 2008. Involvment of Rab13 and JRAB/MICAL-L2 in epithelial scattering. Oncogene 27: 1687–1695. , , , , , .
- 2004. Mutant presenilin (A260V) affects Rab8 in PC12D cell. Neurochem Int 44: 313–320. , , , , .
- 2008. CEP290 interacts with the centriolar satellite component PCM-1 and is required for Rab8 localization to the primary cilium. Hum Mol Genet 17: 3796–37805. , , .
- 2010. Coordination of Rab8 and Rab11 in primary ciliogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 6346–6351. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Negative guidance factor-induced macropinocytosis in the growth cone plays a critical role in repulsive axon turning. J Neurosci 29: 10488–10498. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The primary cilium as cellular signaling center: lessons from disease. Curr Opin Genet Dev 19: 220–229. , .
- 2007. Rab GTPases containinf a CAAX motif are processed post-geranylgeranylation by proteolysis and methylation. J Biol Chem 282: 1487–1497. , , , , .
- 2010. The fast and slow ups and downs of HCN channel regulation. Channel 4: 215–231. , , .
- 2007. Rab8-dependent recycling promotes endosomal cholesterol removal in normal and sphingolipidosis cells. Mol Biol Cell 18: 47–56. , , , , , .
- 2010. Rab8 regulates ABCA1 cell surface expression and facilitates cholesterol efflux in primary human macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29: 883–888. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Structure and function of the Lowe syndrome protein OCRL1. Traffic 6: 711–719. .
- 2001. GRAB: a physiologic guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rab3A, which interacts with inositol hexakisphosphate kinase. Neuron 31: 439–451. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Mutations of optineurin in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nature 465: 223–226. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Virus entry by endocytosis. Ann Rev Biochem 79: 803–833. , , .
- 2005. AS160, the Akt substrate regulating GLUT4 translocation, has a functional Rab GTPase-activating protein domain. Biochem J 391: 87–93. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Screening of OPTN in French familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurobiol Aging 32 (3): 557.e11–3. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. EphA2 engages Git1 to suppress Arf6 activity modulating epithelial cell-cell contacts. Mol Biol Cell 20: 1949–1959. , , , , .
- 2001. Mutant rab8 impairs docking and fusion of rhodopsin-bearing post-Golgi membranes and causes cell death of transgenic Xenopus rods. Mol Biol Cell 12: 2341–2351. , , , , , .
- 2010. Interaction of retinitis pigmentosa GTPase regulator (RPGR) with RAB8A GTPase: implications for cilia dysfunction and photoreceptor degeneration. Hum Mol Genet 19: 3591–3598. , , , , .
- 2008. MYO5B mutations cause microvillus inclusion disease and disrupt epithelial cell polarity. Nat Genet 40: 1163–1165. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A core complex of BBS proteins cooperates with the GTPase Rab8 to promote ciliary membrane biogenesis. Cell 129: 1201–1213. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of endocytic trafficking of transferrin receptor by optineurin and its impairment by a glaucoma-associated mutant. BMC Cell Biol 11: 4. , , , , , , .
- 2007. EHD1 regulates cholesterol homeostasis and lipid droplet storage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357: 792–799. , , , , .
- 2009. Remodeling epithelial cell organization: transitions between front-rear and apical–basal polarity. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1 (1): a000513. .
- 1991. The MEL gene: a new member of the RAB/YPT class of RAS-related genes. Oncogene 6: 1347–1351. , , , , , .
- 1999. Rho GTPases control polarity, protrusion, and adhesion during cell movement. J Cell Biol 144: 1235–1244. , .
- 2008. Elipsa is an early determinant of ciliogenesis that links the IFT particle to membrane-associated small GTPase Rab8. Nat Cell Biol 10: 437–4344. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Membrane organization and dynamics in cell polarity. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 1 (5): a001321. , .
- 2002. Ypt32 recruits the Sec4p guanine nucleotide exchange factor, Sec2p, to secretory vesicles; evidence for a Rab cascade in yeast. J Cell Biol 157: 1005–1015. , , , .
- 2010. Cdc42 localization and cell polarity depend on membrane traffic. J Cell Biol 191: 1261–1269. , , , .
- 2007. High-precision mapping of protein protein interfaces: an integrated genetic strategy combining en masse mutagenesis and DNA-level parallel analysis on a yeast two-hybrid platform. Nucleic Acids Res 35: 1–11. , , , , , .
- 2001. An essential role for ARF6-regulated membrane traffic in adherens junction turnover and epithelial cell migration. EMBO J 20: 4973–4786. , , , , .
- 2004. Recycling endosomes supply AMPA receptors for LTP. Science 305: 1972–1975. , , , , .
- 2010. Impairment of protein trafficking upon overexpression and mutation of optineurin. Plos One 5 (7): e11547. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Rab8 promotes polarized membrane transport through reorganization of actin and microtubules in fibroblasts. J Cell Biol 135: 153–167. , , , , .
- 2001. Expression, purification, and properties of Rab8 function in actin cortical skeleton organization and polarized transport. Methods Enzymol 329: 188–196. , .
- 2011. Pinkbar is an epithelial-specific BAR domain protein that generates planar membrane structures. Nat Struct Mol Biol 18: 902–907. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. ADP-ribosylation factor 6 regulates a novel plasma membrane recycling pathway. J Cell Biol 139: 49–61. , .
- 2010. Collapsin response mediator protein-2 (Crmp2) regulates trafficking by linking endocytic regulatory proteins to dynein motors. J Biol Chem 285: 31918–31922. , , , .
- 2008. GLUT4 vesicle recruitment and fusion are differentially regulated by Rac, AS160, and Rab8A in muscle cells. J Biol Chem 283: 27208–27219. , , , , , , .
- 1996. In its active form, the GTP-binding protein rab8 interacts with a stress-activated protein kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93: 5151–5155. , , , , , .
- 2002. Adult-onset primary open-angle glaucoma caused by mutations in optineurin. Science 295: 1077–1079. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Substrate specificity and effect on GLUT4 translocation of the Rab GTPase-activating protein TBC1D1. Biochem J 403: 353–358. , , , .
- 2007. Myosin Vb interacts with Rab8a on a tubular network containing EHD1 and EHD3. Mol Biol Cell 18: 2828–2837. , , , , .
- 2009. Alternative splicing in class V myosins determine association with Rab10. J Biol Chem 284: 1213–1223. , , .
- 2011. Rab GTPase-Myo5B complexes control membrane recycling and epithelial polarization. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 2789–2794. , , , , , .
- 2011. Huntington's disease: from molecular pathogenesis to clinical treatment. Lancet Neurol 10: 83–98. , .
- 2008. Roles for the recycling endosome, Rab8, and Rab11 in hantavirus release from epithelial cells. Virology 382: 239–249. , , .
- 2010. Loss-of-function of MYO5B is the main cause of microvillus inclusion disease: 15 novel mutations and a CaCo-2 RNAi cell model. Hum Mutat 31: 544–551. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Optineurin links myosin VI to the Golgi complex and is involved in Golgi organization and exocytosis. J Cell Biol 169: 285–295. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Semaphorin E3 initiates antiangiogenic signaling through plexin D1 by regulating Arf6 and R-Ras. Mol Cell Biol 30: 3086–3098. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of HCN channel surface expression by a novel C-terminal protein-protein interaction. J Neurosci 24: 10750–10762. , , .
- 2007. The Rab8 GTPase regulates apical protein localization in intestinal cells. Nature 448: 366–369. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. RhoA regulates peroxisome association to microtubules and the actin cytoskeleton. Plos One 5 (11): e13886. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Arf6-mediated endosome recycling reverses lipid accumulation defects in Niemann-Pick Type C disease. Plos One 4: e5193. , , .
- 2009. MICAL-L1 links EHD1 to tubular recycling endosomes and regulates receptor recycling. Mol Biol Cell 20: 5181–5194. , , , , .
- 2006. The primary cilium as cell's antenna: signaling at a sensory organelle. Science 313: 629–633. , .
- 2009. Rab GTPases as coordinators of vesicle traffic. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10: 513–525. .
- 2010. Rab8A and Rab13 are activated by insulin and regulate GLUT4 translocation in muscle cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 19909–19914. , , , .
- 2008. CP110 suppresses primary cilia formation through its interaction with CEP290, a protein deficient in human ciliary disease. Dev Cell 15: 187–197. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Retinal degeneration and failure of photoreceptor outer segment formation in mice with targeted deletion of the Joubert syndrome gene, Ahi1. J Neurosci 30: 8759–8768. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Primary cilia membrane assembly is initiated by Rab11 and transport protein particle II (TRAPPII) complex-dependent trafficking of Rabin8 to the centrosome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 108: 2759–2764. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Prenylation of Rab8 GTPase by type I and type II geranylgeranyl transferases. Biochem J 333: 497–504. , , , .
- 2011. Identification and characterization of novel Mss4-binding Rab GTPases. Biol Chem 392: 239–248. , , , , , .
- 2009. Myosin Vc, a member of the actin motor family associated with Rab8, is involved in the release of DV2 from HepG2 cells. Intervirology 52: 258–265. , , , , .
- 2008. The interaction of JRAB/MICAL-L2 with Rab8 and Rab13 coordinates the assembly of tight junctions and adherens junctions. Mol Biol Cell 19: 971–983. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional dissection of Rab GTPases involved in primary cilium formation. J Cell Biol 178: 363–369. , , , , .
- 2010. Family-wide characterization of the DENN domain Rab GDP-GTP exchange factors. J Cell Biol 191: 367–381. , , , , .
- 2009. Mechanistic insights into Bardet-Biedl syndrome, a mode ciliopathy. J Clin Invest 119: 428–437. , .