Fax: (202) 626-4833
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 American Cancer Society
Volume 95, Issue 2, pages 361–376, 15 July 2002
How to Cite
Samson, D. J., Seidenfeld, J., Schmitt, B., Hasselblad, V., Albertsen, P. C., Bennett, C. L., Wilt, T. J. and Aronson, N. (2002), Systematic review and meta-analysis of monotherapy compared with combined androgen blockade for patients with advanced prostate carcinoma . Cancer, 95: 361–376. doi: 10.1002/cncr.10647
This work was developed under contract with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ contract number 290-97-0015). The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Technology Evaluation Center is an Evidence-Based Practice Center of the AHRQ.
Charles L. Bennett has received grants from Schering-Plough and Astra-Zeneca and has acted as a consultant for Schering-Plough.
- Issue published online: 11 JUL 2002
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2001
- 5Androgen withdrawal therapy: new perspectives in the treatment of prostate cancer. In: RhagavanD, ScherRI, LeibelSA, et al., editors. Principles and practice of genitourinary oncology. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1997: 583–591., .
- 7Combined androgen blockade. In: VogelzangNJ, ScardinoPT, ShipleyWU et al., editors. Comprehensive textbook of genitourinary oncology. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1996: 875–884., .
- 12Androgen deprivation strategies for metastatic prostate cancer. In: RhagavanD, ScherRI, LeibelSA, et al., editors. Principles and practice of genitourinary oncology. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1997: 591–597., .
- 16Assessing the quality of reports of randomised trials: implications for the conduct of meta-analyses. Health Technol Assess. 1999; 3: 1–98., , , et al.
- 17MulrowCD, OxmanAD, editors. Cochrane Collaboration Handbook [updated 9 December 1996]. Available in: The Cochrane Library [database on disk and CD-ROM]. The Cochrane Collaboration. Issue 1. Oxford: Update Software, 1997.
- 201999 AHCPR Pub. No. 99-E0012. Available from URL: http:// www.ahcpr.gov/clinic/prossumm.html [accessed date], , , et al. Relative effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of methods of androgen suppression in the treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment: Number 4. Rockville (MD): Agency for Health Care Policy and Research;
- 24Egret for Windows. Cambridge, MA: Cytel Software Corp., 1999.
- 33The final analysis of the EORTC Genito-Urinary Tract Cancer Co-Operative Group phase III clinical trial (protocol 30805) comparing orchidectomy, orchidectomy plus cyproterone acetate and low dose stilboestrol in the management of metastatic carcinoma of the prostate. Eur Urol. 1995; 28: 273–283., , , , , .
- 42A randomized, controlled clinical trial of leuprolide and anandron (LA) vs leuprolide and placebo (LP) for advanced prostate cancer (D2cap) [abstract]. Proc Annu Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1990; 9: A523., , , et al.
- 43Depot leuprorelin acetate alone or with nilutamide in the treatment of metastatic prostate carcinoma: interim report of a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled study [abstract]. Can J Infect. 1995; 6 (Suppl C): 292C., , , .
- 48Clinical benefits of bicalutamide compared with flutamide in combined androgen blockade for patients with advanced prostatic carcinoma: final report of a double-blind, randomized, multicenter trial. Casodex Combination Study Group. Urology. 1997; 50: 330–336., , , et al.
- 50Quality of life (QOL) endpoints in advanced stage prostate cancer: a randomized, double blind study comparing flutamide to placebo in orchiectomized stage D2 prostate patients (PTS) [abstract]. Proc Annu Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1997; 16: A183., , , et al.
- 53Quality of life assessment in prostatic cancer. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1988; 260: 1191–21., .