Fax: (713) 794-4385
An overview of the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the newer generation aromatase inhibitors anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane
Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2002
Copyright © 2002 American Cancer Society
Volume 95, Issue 9, pages 2006–2016, 1 November 2002
How to Cite
Buzdar, A. U., Robertson, J. F. R., Eiermann, W. and Nabholtz, J.-M. (2002), An overview of the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of the newer generation aromatase inhibitors anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane. Cancer, 95: 2006–2016. doi: 10.1002/cncr.10908
- Issue online: 25 OCT 2002
- Version of Record online: 25 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 22 APR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 21 FEB 2002
- Eli Lilly
- 6The combined use of goserelin and anastrozole as second line endocrine therapy in premenopausal women with advanced breast cancer—a study of its clinical and endocrine effects [abstract 1937]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20: 47b., , , .
- 11the Arimidex Study Group. Anastrozole versus megestrol acetate in the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced breast carcinoma. Results of a survival update based on a combined analysis of data from two mature Phase III trials. Cancer. 1998; 83: 1142–1152., , , et al., for
- 13Phase III, multicenter, double-blind, randomized study of letrozole (Femara™), an aromatase inhibitor, for advanced breast cancer versus megestrol acetate conducted in the United States, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. J Clin Oncol. 2001; 19: 3357–3366., , , et al.
- 17Anastrozole versus tamoxifen in hormone dependent advanced breast cancer. A Phase II randomized trial [abstract 173]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2000; 64: 54., , , .
- 19Preoperative treatment of postmenopausal breast cancer patients with letrozole. A randomized double-blind multicenter study. Ann Oncol. 2001; 12: 1572–1532., , , et al.
- 20Efficacy of and tolerance to exemestane (E) versus tamoxifen (T) in first-line hormone therapy (HT) of postmenopausal metastatic breast cancer (MBC) patients (pts): A European Organisation for the Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC Breast Group) Phase II trial with Pharmacia and Upjohn [abstract 114]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20(Part 1): 29a., , , et al.
- 34Anonymous. Toremifene and letrozole for advanced breast cancer. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 1998; 40: 43–45.
- 37Letrozole suppresses plasma estrogen levels in postmenopausal breast cancer patients more completely than anastrozole [abstract 394]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2000; 19: 102a., , , .
- 38Neoadjuvant treatment with anastrozole (Arimidex) causes profound suppression of intra-tumor estrogen levels [abstract 311]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1999; 18: 82a., , , , , .
- 40Exemestane as neoadjuvant treatment for locally advanced breast cancer: endocrinologic and clinical endpoints [abstract 170]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2000; 64: 53., , , .
- 42CYP3A4 and CYP2A6 are involved in the biotransformation of letrozole (Femara). Seventh North American ISSX Meeting. 1996;10: 359., , , et al.
- 43Anonymous. Exemestane for advanced breast cancer. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2000; 42: 35–36.
- 44Lack of effect of anastrozole, an aromatase inhibitor, on antipyrine pharmacokinetics in postmenopausal women [abstract PII-27]. Clin Pharm Ther. 1997; 61: 172., , , , .
- 46The ATAC Trialists' Group. Pharmacokinetics of anastrozole and tamoxifen alone, and in combination, during adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancer in postmenopausal women: a sub-protocol of the “Arimidex™ and tamoxifen alone or in combination” (ATAC) trial. Br J Cancer. 2001; 85: 317–324.
- 48Comparison of risk profiles for cardiovascular events: implications for prevention. In: SchrierRW, BaxterJD, OzauVJ, FauciAS, AbboudFM, editors. Advances in internal medicine, vol. 43. St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book, Inc., 1997: 39–66., .
- 49The effect of anastrozole (Arimidex™) on serum lipids—data from a randomized comparison of anastrozole (AN) versus tamoxifen (TAM) in postmenopausal (PM) women with advanced breast cancer (ABC) [abstract 164]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2001; 69: 224., , , et al.
- 50Short-term effects of anastrozole therapy on serum lipid profile in patients with breast cancer, previously treated with tamoxifen. Preliminary report Nowotwory. 2001; 51: 43–47., , , et al.
- 53No adverse impact on serum lipids of the irreversible aromatase inactivator Aromasin® [Exemestane (E)] in first-line treatment of metastatic breast cancer (MBC),: companion study to a European Organization of Research and Treatment of Cancer (Breast Group) Trial with Pharmacia Upjohn [abstract 167]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20: 43a., , , et al.
- 55Anastrozole “Arimidex™” does not impair adrenal cortisol or aldosterone synthesis in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer [abstract1954]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20: 52b.and .
- 56Arimidex (ZD1033): a Phase I study of a new, selective orally active aromatase inhibitor in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer [abstract 175]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1995; 14: 199., , , , .
- 59Endogenous residual estrogen levels determine bone resorption even in late postmenopausal women [abstract 76]. J Bone Mineral Res. 1997; 12 (Suppl 1): S121., , , , , .
- 60The effect of aromatase inhibition on bone turnover in older men [abstract P251]. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998; 46: S79., , .
- 61Effects of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole in healthy postmenopausal women rationale for prevention [abstract 3091]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20: 335b., , , , .