Evaluation of an instrument to assess the needs of men diagnosed with prostate carcinoma
An assessment of the validity and reliability of a self-administered questionnaire developed to measure the needs experienced by men diagnosed with prostate carcinoma
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2003
Copyright © 2003 American Cancer Society
Volume 97, Issue 4, pages 993–1001, 15 February 2003
How to Cite
Duke, J. M., Treloar, C. J. and Byles, J. E. (2003), Evaluation of an instrument to assess the needs of men diagnosed with prostate carcinoma. Cancer, 97: 993–1001. doi: 10.1002/cncr.11156
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2003
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 23 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Received: 11 OCT 2001
- The University of Newcastle
- 1AIHW, AACR. Cancer in Australia 1996: incidence and mortality data for 1996 and selected data for 1997 and 1998. AIHW Cat. No. Can 7. Canberra: AIHW (Cancer Series), 1999.
- 2Cancer in New South Wales incidence and mortality 1996: NSW Central Cancer Registry, Cancer Research and Registers Division, NSW Cancer Council, 1999., .
- 7The measurement and meaning of patient satisfaction: a review of the literature. Health Med Care Serv Rev. 1978; 1: 1–15., , .
- 11Measuring the unmet needs of people living with cancer. Cancer Forum. 1995; 19: 131–135., .
- 17Measuring quality of life in cancer patients. J Clin Oncol. 1989; 17: 959–968., , .
- 18Measuring health: a review of quality of life measurement scales. Buckingham: Open University Press; 1997..
- 19Measuring health: a guide to rating scales and questionnaires. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996., .
- 20Clinical epidemiology: the essentials. 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1988., , .
- 21Health measurement scales: a practical guide to their development and use. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991., .
- 22Evaluation of health promotion, health education, and disease prevention programs. 2nd ed. Mountain View, CA: Mayfield, 1994., , , .
- 27Survey questions: handcrafting the standardized questionnaire. Beverley Hills: Sage, 1986., .
- 28Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences, 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1988..
- 29Factor analysis: statistical methods and practical issues. Beverley Hills: Sage, 1978., .
- 32Principles of biostatistics. Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press, 1992., .
- 33StataCorp. Stata statistical software: release 6.0. College Station, TX: Stata, 1999.
- 34Using multivariate statistics. 3rd ed. New York: HarperCollins College, 1996., .
- 35Multiple imputation: a primer. University Park: The Pennsylvania State University, 1998: 1–21..
- 36Factor analysis. J Leisure Res. 1979; 11: 120–138., .
- 38The teaching and learning of mathematics. Vol. 25. Hawthorn: Australian Council of Educational Research, 1984..
- 39Psychological testing: principles, applications, and issues. Monterey, CA: Brooks/Cole, 1982., .
- 44Managing the impact of illness: the experiences of men with prostate cancer and their spouses. J Health Psychol. 2000; 5: 531–548., , , , .
- 46Evaluating health promotion: a health worker's guide. Sydney: Maclennan & Petty, 1990., , .
- 47Needs assessment methodology: a comparison of results. J Coll Student Personnel. 1985; 26: 107–114..
- 48The perceived needs of men diagnosed with prostate cancer. Australas Epidemiol. 2001; 82: 34–40., , .