Fax: (617) 632-1930
Long-term adjustment of survivors of early-stage breast carcinoma, 20 years after adjuvant chemotherapy†
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 American Cancer Society
Volume 98, Issue 4, pages 679–689, 15 August 2003
How to Cite
Kornblith, A. B., Herndon, J. E., Weiss, R. B., Zhang, C., Zuckerman, E. L., Rosenberg, S., Mertz, M., Payne, D., Jane Massie, M., Holland, J. F., Wingate, P., Norton, L. and Holland, J. C. (2003), Long-term adjustment of survivors of early-stage breast carcinoma, 20 years after adjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer, 98: 679–689. doi: 10.1002/cncr.11531
The following institutions participated in this study: Cancer and Leukemia Group B Statistical Office, Durham, NC (Stephen George, Ph.D., supported by CA33601); Dartmouth Medical School–Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, NH (Marc Ernstoff, MD, supported by CA04326); Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC (Edward P. Gelmann, M.D., supported by CA77597); Massachussetts General Hospital, Boston, MA (Michael L. Grossbard, M.D., supported by CA12449); Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY (Lewis Silverman, M.D., supported by CA04457); North Shore–Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Manhasset, NY (Daniel R. Budman, M.D., supported by CA35279); Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI (William Sikov, M.D., supported by CA08025); Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY (Ellis Levine, M.D., supported by CA02599); SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY (Stephen L. Graziano, M.D., supported by CA21060); University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA (Stephen Seagren, M.D., supported by CA11789); University of Maryland Cancer Center, Baltimore, MD (David Van Echo, M.D., supported by CA31983); University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa; University of Missouri–Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, Columbia, MO (Michael C. Perry, M.D., supported by CA12046); Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC (David D. Hurd, M.D., supported by CA03927); Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC (Joseph J. Drabeck, M.D., supported by CA26806); Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY (Michael Schuster, M.D., supported by CA07968); Western Pennsylvania Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA (Richard K. Shadduck, M.D.).
The current study was performed for the Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB), Chicago, IL.
- Issue published online: 1 AUG 2003
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 15 APR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 10 FEB 2003
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: CA31946
- Cancer and Leukemia Group B (Richard L. Schilsky, M.D., Chairman)
- T. J. Martell Foundation
- 1Psychosocial adaptation of cancer survivors. In: Holland JC. Psycho-oncology. New York: Oxford University Press, 1998: 223–254..
- 4Psychosocial impact of breast cancer: a critical review. Ann Behav Med. 1992; 14: 204–212., .
- 7Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast carcinoma using CMFVP versus CMF versus CMF-MER: the nine year results for patients with 1–3 axillary nodes. In: SalmonSE, JonesSE, editors. Adjuvant therapy for cancer (5th edition). New York: Grune & Stratton, 1987: 327–336., , , , , .
- 8A model for quality-of-life research from the Cancer and Leukemia Group B: the telephone interview, conceptual approach to measurement, and theoretical framework. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1996; 20: 55–62., .
- 14The PTSD Checklist (PCL): reliability, validity, and diagnostic utility. Annual Meeting of the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies; San Antonio, Texas; October 24–27, 1993., , , , .
- 15American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th edition). Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- 18Multidimensional functional assessment of older adults. The Duke older Americans resources and services procedures. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1988..
- 22GHAA's consumer satisfaction survey and user's manual. Washington: Group Health Association of America, 1991., .
- 23A sociodemographic data collection model for cooperative clinical trials [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1992; 11: 157., , , et al.
- 28The epidemiology of PTSD: a comprehensive review of the international literature. In: MarsellaAJ, FriedmanMJ, GerrityET, ScurfieldRM, editors. Ethnocultural aspects of posttraumatic stress disorder: issues, research and clinical applications. Washington DC: American Psychological Association, 1996: 33–86., .