Fax: (301) 480-4077
Is there a national perspective?
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2003
Published 2003 by the American Cancer Society
Volume 98, Issue 6, pages 1262–1272, 15 September 2003
How to Cite
Swan, J. and Edwards, B. K. (2003), Cancer rates among American Indians and Alaska Natives. Cancer, 98: 1262–1272. doi: 10.1002/cncr.11633
The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Cancer Institute or the U.S. Government.
This article is a U.S. Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 5 SEP 2003
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 1 APR 2003
- 1Surveillance Implementation Group. Cancer surveillance research implementation plan. Bethesda: National Cancer Institute, 1999.
- 2American Cancer Society. Cancer facts and figures 2003. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2003.
- 3RiesLA, EisnerMP, KosaryCL, et al., editors. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–2000. Bethesda: National Cancer Institute, 2003.
- 5National Center for Health Statistics. Vital statistics of the United States, 1950–1999. Volume II. Mortality. Parts A and B. Washington: Public Health Service, 2001.
- 6Applied regression analysis and other multivariable methods (2nd edition). Boston: PWS-Kent, 1988: 266–268., , .
- 7National Cancer Institute. NCI fact sheet: how changes in U.S. Census counts affect NCI cancer rates [press release, April 15, 2003]. Bethesda: National Cancer Institute, 2003.
- 10Office of Management and Budget. Revisions to the standards for the classification of federal data on race and ethnicity. Washington: Office of Management and Budget, 1997.
- 11Recent trends in mortality rates for four major cancers, by sex and race/ethnicity—United States, 1990–1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 49–53., , , .
- 12Trends in racial and ethnic-specific rates for the health status indicators: United States, 1990–1998. Healthy People statistical notes, no. 23. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2002., , .
- 16Alaska Native cancer update: 1986–1998. Anchorage: Alaska Native Health Board, 2001., , , , , .
- 17Alaska Native cancer survival report. Anchorage: Alaska Native Health Board, 1999., , , , .
- 18Cancer incidence in Alaska Natives: 30-year report, 1969–1998. Anchorage: Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium, 2001., , , , , .
- 23Building infrastructure for nationwide cancer surveillance and control—a comparison between the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (United States). Cancer Causes Control. 2003; 14: 175–193., , , et al.
- 27Improving American Indian cancer data in the California Cancer Registry by linkage with the Indian Health Service. J Registry Manage. 1998; 24: 17–20., , , .
- 29Assessing and improving the quality of cancer surveillance data for American Indians in the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program [abstract]. Ann Epidemiol. 2002; 12: 531., , , et al.