Fax: (011) 31402396109
Liquid-based cervical cytology†
A review of the literature with methods of evidence-based medicine
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2003
Copyright © 2003 American Cancer Society
Volume 99, Issue 5, pages 263–271, 25 October 2003
How to Cite
Klinkhamer, P. J. J. M., Meerding, W. J., Rosier, P. F. W. M. and Hanselaar, A. G. J. M. (2003), Liquid-based cervical cytology. Cancer, 99: 263–271. doi: 10.1002/cncr.11673
Conducted as part of the work of a committee on cervical cytology initiated by the Netherlands Society of Pathology and the Dutch Institute for Health Care Improvement.
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 23 APR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 26 NOV 2002
- Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Sports of The Netherlands
- 1Effects and costs of cervical cancer screening [Ph.D. thesis]. Rotterdam: Erasmus University, 1998..
- 2International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) working group on evaluation of cervical cancer screening programmes. Screening for squamous cervical cancer: duration of low risk after negative results of cervical cytology and its implication for screening policies. BMJ. 1986; 293: 659–664.
- 3Anonymous. National Institutes of Health consensus conference on cervical cancer. Bethesda, Maryland, April 1–3, 1996. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1996; 21: 1–148.
- 4Parameters of quality control in cervical cytodiagnosis. In: WiedGL, KeeblerCM, RosenthalDL, SchenckU, SomrakTM, VooijsGP, editors. Compendium on quality assurance, proficiency testing, and workload limitation in clinical cytology. Chicago: International Academy of Cytology, 1995: 95–108., , , .
- 7Liquid-based cytology in cervical screening. A report by the School of Health And Related Research (ScHARR), the University of Sheffield, for the NCCHTA on behalf of NICE. Sheffield, United Kingdom: Trent Institute for Health Services Research, 2000., , .
- 8Agency for Health Care Policy and Research. Evaluation of cervical cytology. Evidence report/technology assessment no. 5. Rockville: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, 1999.
- 9Effectiveness and cost effectiveness of automated and semi-automated cervical screening devices: a systematic review. New Zealand health technology assessment report. Volume 3 Christchurch: Clearing House for Health Outcomes and Health Technology Assessment, 2000..
- 10A systematic review of the role of human papillomavirus testing within a cervical screening programme. Health Technol Assess. 1999; 3: 1–196., , , et al.
- 15Utility of liquid-based cytology for cervical carcinoma screening: results of a population-based study conducted in a region of Costa Rica with a high incidence of cervical carcinoma. Cancer. 1999; 87: 48–55., , , et al.
- 19Colposcopically directed biopsies provide a basis for comparing the accuracy of ThinPrep and Papanicolaou smears. J Gynecol Tech. 1995; 1: 27–33., , , , .