Fax: (909) 558-0182
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 100, Issue 5, pages 1017–1025, 1 March 2004
How to Cite
Woods, V. D., Montgomery, S. B. and Herring, R. P. (2004), Recruiting Black/African American men for research on prostate cancer prevention. Cancer, 100: 1017–1025. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20029
The opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Centers for Disease Control or the Association of Schools of Public Health.
The terms “Blacks” and “African American” have been used interchangeably because many individuals still refer to themselves in this manner.
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 7 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUL 2003
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Atlanta, GA)
- Association of Schools of Public Health. Grant Number: U36/CCU300430-22
- 1National Cancer Institute. Prostate—U. S. racial/ethnic cancer patterns [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.gov/statistics/cancertype/prostate-racial-ethnic [accessed 19 Feb 2002].
- 2National Cancer Institute. Annual report shows overall decline in U. S. cancer death rates: cancer burden is expected to rise with an aging population [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://cancer.gov/newscenter/2002reportnation[accessed 14 May 2002].
- 4San Bernardino County Department of Health. Chronic disease in San Bernardino County, 1990-1999. San Bernardino, CA: San Bernardino County Department of Health, 2002.
- 5Association of State and Territorial Chronic Disease Program Directors. Prostate cancer screening: a matter of routine or patient choice? A discussion for policy makers. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control, 2001.
- 6American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer: update of early detection guidelines for prostate, colorectal, and endometrial cancers. Also: update 2001—testing for early lung cancer detection. CA Cancer J Clin. 2001; 51: 38–75., , , et al.
- 7Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Task force finds evidence lacking on whether routine screening for prostate cancer improves health outcomes [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://www.ahrq.gov/news/press/pr2002/prosscpr.htm[accessed Dec 2002].
- 8Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Screening: prostate cancer [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf/uspsprca.htm[accessed Dec 2002].
- 9National Cancer Institute. What you need to know about prostate cancer [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://cancer.gov/cancerinfo/wynthk/prostate#24[accessed 18 Mar 2002].
- 10Health status of black men. In: BraithwaiteRL, TaylorSE, editors. Health issues in the black community. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 2001: 62–80..
- 11Monitoring adherence to the NIH policy on the inclusion of women and minorities as subjects in clinical research: comprehensive report. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health, Office of Research on Women's Health, 2002., , , .
- 23Facilitating health promotion in communities of color. Cancer Res Ther Control. 1999; 8: 113–120..
- 24Understanding the challenges in recruiting blacks to a longitudinal cohort study: the Adventist health study. Ethn Dis. In press., , , , .
- 27Recruiting black men to a clinical trial to evaluate prostate cancer screening, Detroit, Michigan, 1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998; 47: 694–696., .
- 28Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2003., , .
- 29Prostate cancer screening behavior in African American blue-collar employees. J Wellness Perspect. 1996; 12: 205–212., .
- 32Medical anthropology and African American health. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002..
- 33Handbook of diversity issues in health psychology. New York: Plenum Press, 1996., .
- 36San Bernardino County Department of Economic and Community Development. County resources [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://www.sbcounty.gov/ECD/resources[accessed Oct 17, 2001].
- 37Handbook of mixed methods in social and behavioral research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2003., .
- 38Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998., .
- 39Qualitative evaluation and research methods. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1990..