Fax: (011) 612 93503966
Recommendations for diagnosis and therapies
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 100, Issue 5, pages 892–899, 1 March 2004
How to Cite
Diamond, T. H., Higano, C. S., Smith, M. R., Guise, T. A. and Singer, F. R. (2004), Osteoporosis in men with prostate carcinoma receiving androgen-deprivation therapy. Cancer, 100: 892–899. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20056
Novartis Pharmaceuticals did not have any input regarding the preparation of this article. The recommendations outlined in the current article were based on the consensus of the working party.
Clinical oncologists with a special interest in prostate carcinoma and representatives of the various oncology groups from North America attended the symposium on which the current article is based. The input and discussions of the symposium attendees contributed significantly to the preparation of the current article. Aside from the authors, the study participants included Robert DiPaola, Maha Hussain, Richard Kaplan, Julie Kish, Fred Saad, Howard Sandler, Daniel Shevrin, and Eric Small.
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 28 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2003
- Novartis Pharmaceuticals (East Hanover, NJ)
- 7Prospective serial measurements of bone mineral density in prostate cancer patients without bone metastases who are treated with intermittent androgen suppression [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1999; 18: 314a., , , et al.
- 8A clinical study of decreased bone density in patients treated with long term luteinising hormone-releasing hormone analogue (LHRH-a)—the risk of iatrogenic osteoporosis due to treatment of carcinoma of the prostate]. Nippon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 1998; 12: 961–966., , , et al. [
- 16Acute androgen deprivation causes early rapid bone loss: a longitudinal study [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 155., , , , , .
- 18Prevalence of osteopenia and osteoporosis by central and peripheral bone mineral density in men with prostate cancer during androgen deprivation [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 411., .
- 19Effect of bisphosphonates in osteoporosis secondary to LHRH analogs for prostate cancer [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 474., , .
- 24A comparison of the prevalence of osteoporosis and vertebral fractures in men with prostate cancer on various androgen deprivation therapies: preliminary report [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20 Suppl B: 167., , , et al.
- 26Androgen deprivation in veterans with prostate cancer: implications for skeletal health [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 366., , , et al.
- 29WHO Study Group on Assessment of Fracture Risk and its Application to Screening for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1994.
- 323D QCT: a useful tool in following therapy. In: International Society of Clinical Densitometry. Proceedings of the 4th Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society of Clinical Densitometry. West Hartford: ISCD, 1988: 1–4., .
- 52Testosterone deficiency is common in men with hip fracture after simple falls. Clin Res. 1989; 37: 131–136., .
- 56Recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1-34) therapy reduces the incidence of moderate/severe vertebral fractures in men with low bone density [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res. 2001; 16: 162., , , et al.