Fax: (713) 794-4385
The role of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant treatment of breast carcinoma†
The M. D. Anderson Cancer Center evidence-based approach
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 101, Issue 7, pages 1482–1489, 1 October 2004
How to Cite
Morandi, P., Rouzier, R., Altundag, K., Buzdar, A. U., Theriault, R. L. and Hortobagyi, G. (2004), The role of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant treatment of breast carcinoma. Cancer, 101: 1482–1489. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20522
The following faculty members participated in the development of this article: Banu Arun, M.D.; Daniel Booser, M.D.; Massimo Cristofanilli, M.D.; Francisco J. Esteva, M.D., Ph.D.; Ana M. Gonzalez-Angulo, M.D.; Sharon Giordano, M.D.; Marjorie Green, M.D.; Karin Gwyn, M.D.; Nuhad Ibrahim, M.D.; James L. Murray, M.D.; Lajos Pusztai, M.D., Ph.D.; Edgardo Rivera, M.D.; Eva Thomas, M.D.; Vicente Valero, M.D.; Ronald Walters, M.D. (Department of Breast Medical Oncology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas); Robert Bast, M.D. (Department of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston Texas); Therese Bevers, M.D.; Abenaa Brewster, M.D. (Department of Cancer Prevention, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas); Thomas Buchholz, M.D.; Marsha McNeese, M.D.; Eric Strom, M.D. (Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas).
- Issue published online: 17 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAY 2004
- 7Anastrozole versus megestrol acetate in the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced breast carcinoma: results of a survival update based on a combined analysis of data from two mature Phase III trials. Arimidex Study Group. Cancer. 1998; 83: 1142–1152., , , et al.
- 13Phase III study of letrozole versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women: analysis of survival and update of efficacy from the International Letrozole Breast Cancer Group. J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 2101–2109., , , et al.
- 16Comparison of anastrozole vs tamoxifen alone and in combination as neoadjuvant treatment of estrogen receptor-positive (ER+) operable breast cancer in postmenopausal women: the IMPACT trial [abstract 1]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003; 82(Suppl 1): S6., , et al.
- 17Phase II study to define safety and efficacy of exemestane as preoperative therapy for postmenopausal patients with primary breast cancer—final results of the German Neoadjuvant Aromasin Initiative (GENARI) [abstract 239]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003; 82(Suppl. 1):S55., , , .
- 18Efficacy of pre-operative Arimidex (anastrozole) compared with tamoxifen (PROACT) as neoadjuvant therapy in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer [abstract]. Eur J Cancer. 2004; 2(Suppl): 69., , , .
- 25National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN practice guidelines in oncology: breast cancer. Version 1.2006 [monograph online]. Available from URL: http://www.nccn.org/physician_gls/f_guidelines.html [accessed August 2, 2004].
- 27ATAC Trialists' Group. Analysis of time to recurrence in the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial according to estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor status [abstract 4]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003; 82(Suppl. 1): S7., on behalf of the
- 30Anastrozole appears to be superior to tamoxifen in women already receiving adjuvant tamoxifen treatment [abstract 3]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003; 82(Suppl. 1): S6–S7., , , et al.
- 33Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analyses. Cancer. 2003; 98: 1802–1810., , , et al.