Fax: (781) 687-3106
Physicians don't ask, sometimes patients tell
Disclosure of sexual orientation among women with breast carcinoma
Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 101, Issue 8, pages 1882–1889, 15 October 2004
How to Cite
Boehmer, U. and Case, P. (2004), Physicians don't ask, sometimes patients tell. Cancer, 101: 1882–1889. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20563
- Issue online: 1 OCT 2004
- Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 24 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Received: 28 JAN 2004
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Grant Number: # POP0100158
- 1Treating lesbians and bisexual women: challenges and strategies for health professionals. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1999..
- 10Physician–patient relationships among the lesbian and gay community. J Gay Lesbian Med Assoc. 2001; 5: 87–93., .
- 17Lesbian disclosure to health care providers and delay of care. J Gay Lesbian Med Assoc. 2001; 5: 11–19., , .
- 18“Don't ask don't tell” Apply to health care? Lesbian, gay, and bisexual people's disclosure to health care providers. J Gay Lesbian Med Assoc. 2001; 5: 125–134., .
- 23Snowball sampling: problems and techniques of chain referral sampling. Sociol Methods Res. 1981; 10: 141–163., .
- 25SAS Institute Inc. SAS software, version 6. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc.
- 26Qualis Research Associates. Ethnograph, version 5. Denver: Qualis Research Associates.
- 27Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1990., .
- 28Client disclosure of lesbianism: a challenge for health care providers. J Gay Lesbian Soc Serv. 1996; 4: 81–94., , .
- 29SolarzAL, editor. Lesbian health: current assessment and directions for the future. Committee on Lesbian Health Research Priorities, Neuroscience and Behavioral Health Program, Health Sciences Policy Program, Health Sciences Section, Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2003.
- 30Abusive health care interactions experienced by lesbians: a case of institutional violence in the treatment of women. Response Victimization Women Children 1990; 13: 23–27., .
- 31Lesbians and the health care system. J Gay Lesbian Soc Serv. 1996; 5: 33–47., .
- 34National Cancer Institute. Plans & priorities for cancer research. Cancer survivorship: improving treatment outcomes and quality of life. Volume 2003. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2003.