Fax: (412) 359-8685
Solving the dilemma of the immunohistochemical and other methods used for scoring estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor in patients with invasive breast carcinoma
Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 1, pages 164–173, 1 January 2005
How to Cite
Fisher, E. R., Anderson, S., Dean, S., Dabbs, D., Fisher, B., Siderits, R., Pritchard, J., Pereira, T., Geyer, C. and Wolmark, N. (2005), Solving the dilemma of the immunohistochemical and other methods used for scoring estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor in patients with invasive breast carcinoma. Cancer, 103: 164–173. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20761
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2004
- Version of Record online: 24 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 2 SEP 2004
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2004
- United States Public Health Services National Cancer Institute Grants. Grant Numbers: NCI-U10-CA-12070, NCI-U10-CA37377, NCI-U10-CA39806
- American Cancer Society Grant. Grant Number: ACS-RC-13
- 1Prognostic usefullness of estrogen receptor immunocytochemical assays for human breast cancer. Cancer Res. 1986; 46: 4256–4264., , , et al.
- 7Estrogen receptor immunohistochemical assay in paraffin-embedded tissue: a better gold standard? Appl Immunohistochem. 1993; 1: 39–45., , , .
- 9Predictive value of ER1D5 antibody immunostaining in breast cancer: a paraffin-based retrospective study of 257 cases. Appl Immunohistochem. 1995; 3: 85–90., , , et al.
- 11Estrogen receptor immunocytochemistry in paraffin embedded tissues with ER1D5 predicts breast cancer endocrine response more accurately than H222Sp in frozen sections or cytosol-based ligand-binding assays. Cancer. 1996; 77: 2514–2519., , , et al.
- 15Comparison of estrogen receptor determinations by a biochemical ligand-binding assay and immunohistochemical staining with monoclonal antibody 1D5 in females with lymph node positive breast carcinoma entered on two prospective clinical trials. Cancer. 1996; 78: 764–772., , , et al.
- 19Estrogen receptor (ER) and progesterone receptor (PgR) by ligand-binding assay compared with ER, PgR, and pS2, by immunohistochemistry in predicting response to tamoxifen in metastatic breast cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group Study. Int J Cancer. 2000; 89: 111–117., , , et al.
- 25National Institutes of Health. Adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. NIH consensus statement. 2000; 17: 1–35.
- 26The American Heritage Dictionary. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992.
- 29Classification and regression trees. Belmont: Wadsworth, 1983., , , .
- 31An introduction to recursive partitioning using the RPART routines. Mayo Foundation Technical Report. Rochester: Mayo Foundation, 1997., .
- 32Modern applied statistics with S-PLUS, 3rd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1999., .
- 37Estrogen and progesterone receptor status determined by the Ventana ES 320 automated immunohistochemical stainer and the CAS 200 image analyzer in 236 early-stage breast carcinomas: prognostic significance. J Surg Oncol. 1996; 61: 177–184., , , .