Fax: (734) 763-5615
Do cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute have better surgical outcomes?
Article first published online: 27 DEC 2004
Copyright © 2004 American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 3, pages 435–441, 1 February 2005
How to Cite
Birkmeyer, N. J. O., Goodney, P. P., Stukel, T. A., Hillner, B. E. and Birkmeyer, J. D. (2005), Do cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Institute have better surgical outcomes?. Cancer, 103: 435–441. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20785
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2005
- Article first published online: 27 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 4 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2004
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: R01 CA098481
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Grant Number: K02 HS11288
- 5Department of Health and Human Services. The International Classification of Diseases. 9th revised. clinical modification: ICD-9-CM. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1998.
- 11United States Department of Agriculture. Rural-urban commuting area codes. The economics of food, farming, natural resources, and rural America. Washington, DC: Economic Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture. Available from URL: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/ruralurbancommutingareacodes/ [accessed February 26, 2004].
- 12University of Washington School of Medicine. The use of RUCAs in health care. In: CenterTRHR, ed. vol. 2004. Seattle: University of Washington School of Medicine. Available from URL: http://www.fammed.washington.edu/wwamirhrc/rucas/use_healthcare.html [accessed February 26, 2004].
- 13Stata Corp. Stata statistical software: release 8.0. College Station, TX: StataCorporation, 2003.
- 21Surgeon specialty and operative mortality with lung resection. Ann Thorac Surg. In press., , , .
- 27Using Medicare claims data to assess provider quality for CABG surgery: does it work well enough? Health Serv Res. 1997; 31: 359–378., , , .
- 29Operative mortality with elective surgery in older adults. Effective Clin Pract. 2000; 4: 172–177., .