Fax: (505) 248-4393
Regional patterns and trends in cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1990–2001†
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2005
Published 2005 by the American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 5, pages 1045–1053, 1 March 2005
How to Cite
Espey, D., Paisano, R. and Cobb, N. (2005), Regional patterns and trends in cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1990–2001. Cancer, 103: 1045–1053. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20876
This article is a U.S. Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 17 FEB 2005
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 7 OCT 2004
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUL 2004
- 1U.S. Census Bureau. Census 2000 PHC-T-9. Population by age, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino origin for the United States: 2000. Released October 3, 2001. Available from URL: http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t9/tab01.pdf [accessed May 29, 2004].
- 2U.S. Census Bureau. Poverty: 1999. Census 2000 brief. May 2003. Available from URL: http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-19.pdf [accessed May 29, 2004].
- 3Indian Health Service. Trends in Indian health, 1998–1999. Rockville: Indian Health Service, 2000.
- 6Cancer mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States: regional differences in Indian health 1989–1993. IHS publication no. 97-615-23. Rockville: Indian Health Service, 1997., .
- 7Cancer mortality among Native Americans in the United States: regional differences in Indian health, 1984–1988 and trends over time, 1968–1987. Rockville: Indian Health Service, 1992., , , .
- 8Recent trends in mortality rates for four major cancers, by sex and race/ethnicity—United States, 1990–1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 49–53., , , .
- 11National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch. SEER*Stat. Mortality—all COD, public-use with county, total U.S. for expanded races (1990–2001). Released April 2004. Available from URL: http://www.seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/ [accessed May 29, 2004].
- 12American Indians and Alaska Natives: defining where they reside. The IHS Provider. Rockville: Indian Health Service, March 1996..
- 13National Cancer Institute. U.S. Census populations with bridged race categories. September 15, 2004. Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/dvs/popbridge/popbridge/htm [accessed October 6, 2004].
- 14National Cancer Institute. SEER cause of death recode 1969+. Available from URL: http://seer.cancer.gov/codrecode/1969+_d03252004/ [accessed April 29, 2003].
- 15Statistical methods in cancer research. Volume II. The design and analysis of cohort studies. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991: 58–59., .
- 16[No authors listed.] Prevalence of selected risk factors for chronic disease and injury among American Indians and Alaska Natives—United States, 1995–1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000; 49: 79–82, 91.
- 22Primary gallbladder cancer: recognition of risk factors and the role of prophylactic cholecystectomy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 1402–1410., , .Direct Link: