Fax: (409) 747-3585
Neighborhood composition and incidence of cancer among Hispanics in the United States
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2005
Copyright © 2005 American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 5, pages 1036–1044, 1 March 2005
How to Cite
Eschbach, K., Mahnken, J. D. and Goodwin, J. S. (2005), Neighborhood composition and incidence of cancer among Hispanics in the United States. Cancer, 103: 1036–1044. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20885
- Issue online: 17 FEB 2005
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2004
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: P-30-CA-12385-01
- 5The causes of cancer: quantitative estimates of avoidable risks of cancer in the United States today. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1981; 166: 191–308., .
- 7Cancer risks. Acrylamide in food: uncharted territory. Science. 2002; 197: 27..
- 13U.S. Census Bureau. 2000 Census of population. Summary file 1, 2001. Bethesda: US Census Bureau.
- 14RiesLAG, EisnerMP, KosaryCL, et al., editors. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2000. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2003.
- 15Epidemiology of cancer among Hispanics in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1995; 18: 17–28., , , , , .
- 16Racial and ethnic differences in mortality at older ages. In: MartinLG, SoldoBJ, editors. Racial and ethnic differences in the health of older Americans. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1997: 10–42., .
- 19Lung cancer, smoking patterns, and mutagen sensitivity in Mexican Americans. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1995; 18: 29–39., , , et al.
- 22Dietary practices, alcohol consumption, and smoking behavior: ethnic, sex and acculturation differences. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 1995; 18: 73–82., , , .
- 31Area socioeconomic variations in U.S. cancer incidence, mortality, stage, treatment, and survival, 1975-1999. NCI Cancer Surveillance Monograph Series, No. 4. NIH Publication No. 03-5417. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2003., , , .
- 33Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program (available from URL: www.seer.cancer.gov) public-use data (1973-1993). Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, 1996 (based on the February 1996 submission).
- 34U.S. Census Bureau. 1990 census of population. Summary tape file 1A, 1991. Available from URL: www.census.gov [accessed May 26, 2004].
- 35U.S. Census Bureau. 1990 census of population. Summary tape file 3A, 1992. Available from URL: www.census.gov [accessed May 26, 2004].
- 36Multiple imputation for nonresponse in surveys. New York: John Wiley, 1987..
- 37Analysis of incomplete multivariate data. New York: Chapman and Hall, 1997..
- 39National Research Council, Panel on Poverty and Family Assistance. Measuring poverty. A new approach. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1995.
- 40U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Policy Development and Research. Fair market rents for Section 8 housing assistance payments program. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 1992.
- 41U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. FMR history 1983–present. Available from URL: http://www.huduser.org/datasets/fmr.html [accessed May 27, 2004].
- 42SAS Institute, Inc. SAS/STAT user's guide. Version 9. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc., 2002.
- 43Patient demographic and socioeconomic characteristics in the SEER-Medicare database. Med Care. 2002; 40(8 Suppl. ): IV90–IV25., , , , .
- 45Choosing Hispanic identity: ethnic identity switching among respondents in high school and beyond. Soc Sci Q. 1998; 79: 74–90., .