Fax: (011) 39 0105600217
Retracted: Tumor necrosis factor enhances SN38-mediated apoptosis in mesothelioma cells
The role of nuclear factor-κB pathway activation
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2005
Copyright © 2005 American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 7, pages 1503–1518, 1 April 2005
How to Cite
Russo, P., Catassi, A., Malacarne, D., Margaritora, S., Cesario, A., Festi, L., Mulé, A., Ferri, L. and Granone, P. (2005), Retracted: Tumor necrosis factor enhances SN38-mediated apoptosis in mesothelioma cells. Cancer, 103: 1503–1518. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20924
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 2 NOV 2004
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAR 2004
- Cited By
In the April 1, 2005, issue of Cancer, an article entitled “Tumor necrosis factor enhances SN38-mediated apoptosis in mesothelioma cells: The role of nuclear factor-κB pathway activation” was published by Dr. Russo and colleagues. On October 6, 2009, we were alerted to concerns about the integrity of the data in the article. A formal investigation was conducted by the Institutional Office for Research Integrity (UIR) at the National Institute for Cancer Research (IST) in Genoa, Italy. The investigation report from the UIR President, dated November 4, 2009, stated the following:
“1) The internal investigation is concluded and no further analyses are planned on the issue.
2) The UIR concluded that the article contains evidence of data fabrication/duplication.
3) All the authors (either belonging or not to the IST) have been informed of the concerns about data integrity. Some authors acknowledged the conclusion stated in the previous point 2, others did not; however, none of them accepted the responsibility of having fabricated the data.”
Based on this report and our concerns about the validity of the study, we hereby retract this article from Cancer and from the medical literature.
Raphael E. Pollock, MD, PhD