Fax: (409) 772-5451
Increasing use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists for the treatment of localized prostate carcinoma†
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 American Cancer Society
Volume 103, Issue 8, pages 1615–1624, 15 April 2005
How to Cite
Shahinian, V. B., Kuo, Y.-f., Freeman, J. L., Orihuela, E. and Goodwin, J. S. (2005), Increasing use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists for the treatment of localized prostate carcinoma. Cancer, 103: 1615–1624. doi: 10.1002/cncr.20955
The current study used the linked Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER)-Medicare database. The interpretation and reporting of these data are the sole responsibility of the authors. The authors acknowledge the efforts of the Applied Research Program, National Cancer Institute (Bethesda, MD); the Office of Research, Development and Information, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS; Baltimore, MD); Information Management Services, Inc. (Silver Springs, MD); and the SEER program tumor registries in the creation of the SEER-Medicare database.
- Issue online: 4 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 7 DEC 2004
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2004
- 8National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Prostate cancer. The National Comprehensive Cancer Network version 1. 2004. Available from URL: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/default.asp [accessed February 22, 2005].
- 11Part B Physician/Supplier Nat'l Data, CY 2001 Top 200 Level II Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS/Alpha-Numeric) Codes. Available from URL: http://cms.hhs.gov/statistics/feeforservice/top200l2hcpcsbycharges01.asp [accessed February 22, 2005].
- 18Overview of the SEER-Medicare data: content, research applications, and generalizability to the United States elderly population. Med Care. 2002; 40(Suppl. IV): 3–18., , , , .
- 20American Medical Association. Physicians' current procedural terminology-CPT 2002. Chicago: American Medical Association, 2001.
- 21International classification of diseases, 9th revision, clinical modification. 6th ed. Los Angeles: Practice Management Information Corporation, 2002.
- 23Studying radiation therapy using SEER-Medicare-linked data. Med Care. 2002; 40(Suppl. IV): 49–54., , , et al.
- 24BeahrsOH, HensonDE, HutterRVP, MyersMH, editors. Manual for staging of cancer. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1988.
- 25AJCC cancer staging manual. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1998., , , et al., editors.
- 26AJCC cancer staging manual. 6th ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2002., , , et al., editors.
- 45General Accounting Office report. Medicare: payments for covered outpatient drugs exceed providers' costs. Washington, DC: General Accounting Office, 2001:GAO-01-1118.
- 50Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) (www.seer.cancer.gov) program public-use data (1973-1999), National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch, released April 2002, based on the November 2001 submission.