Fax: (011) 32 26502209
Factors that influence physicians' detection of distress in patients with cancer†
Can a communication skills training program improve physicians' detection?
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 American Cancer Society
Volume 104, Issue 2, pages 411–421, 15 July 2005
How to Cite
Merckaert, I., Libert, Y., Delvaux, N., Marchal, S., Boniver, J., Etienne, A.-M., Klastersky, J., Reynaert, C., Scalliet, P., Slachmuylder, J.-L. and Razavi, D. (2005), Factors that influence physicians' detection of distress in patients with cancer. Cancer, 104: 411–421. doi: 10.1002/cncr.21172
Contributors: Darius Razavi, Nicole Delvaux, and Christine Reynaert conceived this study, wrote the protocol, obtained funding, and supervised data collection and analysis. Darius Razavi, Nicole Delvaux, and Serge Marchal conducted the training courses. Serge Marchal supervised data collection. Jacques Boniver, Jean Klastersky, and Pierre Scalliet participated to the writing of the protocol and obtained funding. Anne-Marie Etienne supervised data collection. Isabelle Merckaert contributed to data collection and to the rating of the interviews, participated in the data analysis, and wrote the first drafts of the report. Yves Libert contributed to data collection, coordinated day-to-day management of the project, participated in preparation of data analysis, and contributed to the writing of the first drafts of the report. Jean-Louis Slachmuylder designed the data base and contributed to data collection and final analysis. All investigators contributed to the writing of the final report.
- Issue online: 29 JUN 2005
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 8 NOV 2004
- “Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique-Section Télévie” of Belgium
- “Fonds d'Encouragement à la Recherche de l'Université Libre de Bruxelles” (Brussels, Belgium)
- C.A.M. Training and Research Group (Brussels, Belgium)
- 4Overview of normal reactions and prevalence of psychiatric disorders. In: HollandJC, RollandJH, editors. Handbook of psycho-oncology. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989: 273–281., .
- 19Barriers to the diagnosis of depression in primary care. J Clin Psychiatr. 1997; 58(Suppl 1): 5–10..
- 24Communication skills training for health care professionals working with cancer patients, their families and/or carers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 2:CD003751., , .
- 25Psycho-oncologie: le cancer, le malade et sa famille, 1st ed. Paris: Masson-Collection Médecine et Psychothérapie, 1998., .
- 26La prise en charge médico-psychologique du patient cancéreux, 1st ed. Paris: Masson-Collection Médecine et Psychothérapie, 1998., .
- 27Development of a rating system to assess interaction between cancer patients and health professionals. London: Cancer Research Campaign Psychological Medicine Group Report to Cancer Research Campaign, 1991., .
- 31Analyse multidimensionnelle d'une échelle de coping: validation française de la W.C.C. (Ways of Coping Checklist). Psychol Française. 1996; 41: 155–164., , , , .
- 34Psychometric properties and correlates of distress thermometer scores. Psychooncology. 2004; 13(Suppl): S16–S16., , , et al.
- 35Multi-center study of the utility of the Distress Thermometer as a screening instrument in a general cancer population. Psychooncology. 2004; 13(Suppl): S42–S43., , , et al.