Fax: (415) 476-0705
Using navigators to improve care of underserved patients
Current practices and approaches
Article first published online: 11 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 American Cancer Society
Volume 104, Issue 4, pages 848–855, 15 August 2005
How to Cite
Dohan, D. and Schrag, D. (2005), Using navigators to improve care of underserved patients. Cancer, 104: 848–855. doi: 10.1002/cncr.21214
- Issue published online: 2 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 11 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 18 FEB 2005
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 2004
- Mount Zion Health Fund
- 1Institute of Medicine (United States). Committee on Understanding and Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2003., , ,
- 2Institute of Medicine (United States). Committee on Cancer Research among Minorities and the Medically Underserved. The unequal burden of cancer: an assessment of NIH research and programs for ethnic minorities and the medically underserved. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1999., ,
- 8President's Cancer Panel. Report of the chairman 2000–2001. Voices of a broken system: real people, real problems. Bethesda: National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 2003.
- 12Cancer prevention in underserved African American communities: barriers and effective strategies—a review of the literature. Wisc Med J. 2003; 102: 36–40., , , , , .
- 18Trans-HHS Cancer Health Disparities Progress Review Group. Making cancer health disparities history. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2004.
- 20National Institutes of Health. Patient navigation research program. Bethesda: United States Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, 2004.
- 21Writing ethnographic field notes. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1995., , .
- 23Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Evidence Report and Evidence-Based recommendations: cancer prevention and treatment demonstration for ethnic and racial minorities. Bethesda: United States Department of Health and Human Services, 2003.
- 24Canadian Breast Cancer Initiative. Investigation and assessment of the “navigator role” in meeting the informational, decisional and educational needs of women with breast cancer in Canada. Ottawa: Public Health Agency Canada, 2002.