Fax: (916) 734-2349
Asian Americans and cancer clinical trials†
A mixed-methods approach to understanding awareness and experience
Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2005
Published 2005 by the American Cancer Society
Supplement: Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training (AANCART): Fifth Asian American Cancer Control Academy
Volume 104, Issue Supplement 12, pages 3015–3024, 15 December 2005
How to Cite
Paterniti, D. A., Chen, M. S., Chiechi, C., Beckett, L. A., Horan, N., Turrell, C., Smith, L., Morain, C., Montell, L., Luis Gonzalez, J., Davis, S. and Lara, P. N. (2005), Asian Americans and cancer clinical trials. Cancer, 104: 3015–3024. doi: 10.1002/cncr.21522
Presented at Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training (AANCART): Fifth Asian American Cancer Control Academy, Sacramento, California, October 22–23, 2004.
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2005
- Version of Record online: 24 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2005
- National Cancer Institute. Grant Number: R21 CA-03-501
- American Cancer Society. Grant Number: IRG 95-125-04
- 10A history and theory of informed consent. New York: Oxford University Press, 1986., .
- 11Bad blood. New York: Free Press, 1981..
- 12Schloendorff v. Society of New York Hospitals, 211 N.Y. 125, 105 N.E. 92 (1914).
- 13Natanson v. Kline, 186 Kan. 393, 350 P.2d 1093, opinion on denial of motion for rehearing, 187 Kan. 186, 354 P.2d 670 (1960).
- 14Canterbury v. Spence, 464 F.2d 772 (D.C. Cir. 1972).
- 15Informed consent to therapy.” 64 Northwestern Univ. L. Rev. 628, 640 (1970)., . “
- 16Truman v. Thomas, 165 Cal. Rptr. 308, 611 P.2d 902 (California 1980).
- 17SmedleyBD, StithAY, NelsonAR, editors. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2003.
- 202002]., , , , , . A quantitative survey of public attitudes towards cancer clinical trials. Available at URL: http://www.cancertrialshelp.org/cnccg_info/news.html [accessed August 30,
- 21California State Senate Insurance Committee. Health insurance coverage for clinical trials. Available at URL: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/01-02/bill/sen/sb_0001-0050/sb_37_bill_20010810_chaptered.html [accessed October 18, 2004].
- 22DenzinNK, LincolnYS, editors. Handbook of qualitative research, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2000.
- 23The discovery of grounded theory: strategies for qualitative research. Chicago: Aldine, 1967., .
- 24Mixed methodology: combining qualitative and quantitative approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998., .
- 25QSR International. Nonnumerical Unstructured Data—Indexing, Searching, and Theorizing (NUD*IST4). Victoria, Australia. Developed by Scolari-Sage Publications Ltd., 1997.
- 26Analyzing social settings: a guide to qualitative observation and analysis, 3rd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 1995., .
- 27Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and techniques. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1990., .
- 28Grounded theory: objectivist and constructivist methods. In: DenzinN, LincolnY, editors. Handbook of qualitative research, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2000: 509–535..
- 32Explaining illness to Latinos: cultural foundations and messages. In: WhaleyBB, editor. Explaining illness: research, theory, and strategies. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (LEA) Publishers, 2000: 259–281., .
- 37Health communication: a multicultural perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2001., .
- 38A test of a cultural model of patients' motivation for verbal communication in patient-doctor interactions. Communication Monogr. 2000; 67: 262–283., , , , , .
- 39The nature and language of illness explanations. In: WhaleyBB, editor. Explaining illness: research, theory, and strategies. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (LEA) Publishers, 2000: 259–281..
- 40U.S. Census Bureau. Quickfacts. Available at URL: http://quickfacts.census.gov.html [accessed October 29, 2004].