Fax: (770) 488-4760
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Supplement: Descriptive Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer in the United States, 1998–2001, Utilizing Data from the NPCR and SEER Programs
Volume 107, Issue Supplement 5, pages 1101–1102, 1 September 2006
How to Cite
Reed, E., Ahmed, F., Jackson-Thompson, J., Friedman, C., German, R. R., Lai, S.-M. and Wingo, P. A. (2006), Foreword: Promoting the use of registry-based national cancer surveillance data for colorectal cancer prevention and control. Cancer, 107: 1101–1102. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22006
The following registries, which cover approximately 88% of the U.S. population, contributed data to the production of this supplement: AK, AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, Metro Atlanta (Georgia), HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, and WY
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAR 2006
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Program of Cancer Registries
- 1U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States cancer statistics: 1999–2002 Incidence and mortality web–based report version. Atlanta: Department of Health and Human Services,Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute, 2005. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/uscs and http://seer.cancer.gov/statistics, Accessed December 29, 2005.
- 2RiesLAG, EisnerMP, KosaryCL, et al., editors. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–2002. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 2005. Available from http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2002/, based on November 2004 SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site 2005.
- 3Building the infrastructure for nationwide cancer surveillance and control—A comparison between the National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR) and the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. Cancer Causes Control 2003; 14: 175–193., , , et al.
- 4Institute of Medicine (IOM), National Research Council, National Cancer Policy Board. Enhancing Data Systems to Improve the Quality of Cancer Care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2000.
- 5American Cancer Society. Colorectal cancer facts and figures special edition 2005. Atlanta: American Cancer Society, 2005. Available at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/STT/stt_0.asp, Accessed December 21, 2005.
- 6U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: Recommendations and rationale. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2002. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/3rduspstf/colorectal/ colorr.htm, Accessed January 10, 2006.
- 7Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Screening to prevent cancer deaths. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/publications/factsheets/prevention/cancer.htm, Accessed January 11, 2006.
- 8U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010 (2 vols), 2nd edn. Understanding and improving health and objectives for improving health. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000.
- 9Institute of Medicine (IOM), National Research Council, National Cancer Policy Board. Fulfilling the Potential of Cancer Prevention and Control. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2003.
- 10World Health Organization. Weight control and physical activity. In: IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol 6. Lyon: IARC Press; 2002: 235–243.
- 11Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Epidemiology Program Office, Division of Public Health Surveillance and Informatics. CDC WONDER. Available at http://wonder. cdc.gov/cancer.html, Accessed January 11, 2006.
- 12Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program. SEER public-use data. National Cancer Institute, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch. Available at http://www.seer.cancer.gov/publicdata, Accessed January 11, 2006.