Building Native Hawaiian capacity in cancer research and programming
A legacy of 'Imi Hale
Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Supplement: The Special Populations Networks: Achievements and Lessons Learned 2000–2005
Volume 107, Issue Supplement 8, pages 2082–2090, 15 October 2006
How to Cite
Braun, K. L., Tsark, J. U., Santos, L., Aitaoto, N. and Chong, C. (2006), Building Native Hawaiian capacity in cancer research and programming. Cancer, 107: 2082–2090. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22157
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 6 APR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 17 JAN 2006
- NCI Cooperative Agreement. Grant Number: U01-CA86105-05
- 1The health status of Kānaka Maoli (indigenous Hawaiians). Asian Am Pac Isl J Health. 1993; 1: 116–160..
- 2State of Hawai'i Data Book. Honolulu, HI: Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; 2004.
- 3American Cancer Society Hawai'i Pacific, Inc. Hawaii Cancer Facts & Figures 2003–2004. Honolulu, HI: American Cancer Society; 2003.
- 4'Imi Hale: Establishing an inheritance for Native Hawaiians on cancer awareness, research, and training. Pac Health Dialog. 2001; 8: 193–202., , , et al.
- 5Hawai'i State Department of Health. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2000–2004. Available at www.hawaii. gov/health/statistics.
- 6Community involvement in minority health research: Participatory research in a Native Hawaiian community. In: Cancer Control Research Reports for Public Health. Data-Based Intervention Research Program. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute; October 1992; 2–9., , , .
- 8Improving Native Hawaiian health through community-based participatory research. Californian J Health Prom. 2003; 1(2): 136–148., , .
- 9Ke Ala Ola Pono: The Native Hawaiian community's effort to heal itself. Pac Health Dialog. 1998; 5: 232–238., , , et al.
- 10MinklerM, WallersteinN, eds. Community-Based Participatory Research for Health. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 2003.
- 17Community, community development, and the forming of authentic partnerships: Some critical reflections. In: MinklerM, ed. Community Organizing and Community Building for Health. Rutgers, NJ: Rutgers University Press; 1997; 88–102..
- 21Oncologists' knowledge, attitudes and practices related to cancer treatment clinical trials. Hawaii Med J. 2002; 61: 90–94., , , .
- 22Primary care physicians' knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to cancer screening and prevention-oriented clinical trials. Pac Health Dialog. 2004; 11: 160–165., , .
- 23A participatory research approach to address data needs in tobacco use among Native Hawaiians. Asian Am Pac Isl J Health. 2003; 9: 40–48..
- 24The 'Ohana (Family) Day Project—A community approach to increase cancer screening. Prev Chronic Dis. (in press)., , , .
- 26E Ola Na Kini: The health of Native Hawaiians [special issue]. Pac Health Dialog. 2001; 8: 244–468., ed.
- 27Cancer in the Pacific [special issue]. Pac Health Dialog. 2004; 11: 5–272., , , eds.
- 28Reducing cancer health disparities in the US-associated Pacific. J Public Health Manag Pract. (in press)., ,