Maryland's Special Populations Network
A model for cancer disparities research, education, and training
Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Supplement: The Special Populations Networks: Achievements and Lessons Learned 2000–2005
Volume 107, Issue Supplement 8, pages 2061–2070, 15 October 2006
How to Cite
Baquet, C. R., Mack, K. M., Mishra, S. I., Bramble, J., DeShields, M., Datcher, D., Savoy, M., Brooks, S. E., Boykin-Brown, S. and Hummel, K. (2006), Maryland's Special Populations Network. Cancer, 107: 2061–2070. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22158
The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the funding agency.
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 6 APR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2006
- NCI Cooperative Agreement. Grant Number: U01-CA86249-05
- 1US Department of Health and Human Services. Special populations network for cancer awareness, research, and training (RFA: CA-99-003). Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute; 1999. Available at www.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-99-003.html (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 2US Department of Health and Human Services. Making cancer health disparities history: Report to the trans-HHS Cancer Health Disparities Progress Review Group. Washington: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2004. Available at www.chdprg.omhrc.gov/pdf/chdprg.pdf (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 3US Census2000. Washington: Bureau of the Census. Available at www.census.gov/ (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 4Maryland Cancer Registry. Baltimore: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Family Health Administration. Available at www.fha.state.md.us/cancer/registry/.
- 5SEER*Stat database: Mortality-All COD, Public-Use with county, total US for expanded races/Hispanics (1990–2001). Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. Available at www. seer.cancer.gov/seerstat/ (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 6Cancer in maryland-1999 incidence and mortality annual report. Baltimore: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; 2001., , , et al.
- 7National Center for Health Statistics. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at www.cdc.gov/nchs/ (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 8The University of Maryland Center for Health Policy/Health Services Research and University of Maryland Statewide Health Network Baseline Needs Assessment: Disparities in Health Access, Health Status, Health Assessment, and Health Behaviors for Chronic Disease and Clinical Trials Knowledge, Attitudes and Barriers to Participation in Maryland. Baltimore: University of Maryland School of Medicine, Office of Policy and Planning, University of Maryland Center for Health Policy/Health Services Research; 2004., , , , .
- 10Integrating program planning and evaluation using logic models. Paper presented at the Annual American Evaluation Association Meeting, Atlanta, GA, Nov. 2004..
- 11US Department of Health and Human Services. A model for increasing availability of community-based cancer clinical trials in rural eastern shore Maryland. Washington: US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at http://phs.os.dhhs.gov/ophs/BestPractice/MD_cancer.htm/ (accessed August 19, 2005).
- 12Health disparities research—a model for conducting research on cancer disparities: Characterization and reduction. J Assoc Acad Minor Phys. 2002; 13: 33–40., , , , .
- 13Cancer Disparities. In: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, ed. The Maryland Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan: Our Call To Action 2004–2008. Baltimore: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; 2004: 62–83., , , et al.
- 14Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. The Maryland Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan: Our Call To Action 2004–2008. Baltimore: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; 2004.
- 15Implications for cancer prevention and control through a statewide health network. Paper presented at Governor's Conference on Cancer Disparities in Baltimore, MD, July 2000..
- 16Esophageal cancer epidemiology in blacks and whites: Racial and gender disparities in incidence, mortality and survival rates. J Natl Medl Assoc. 2005; 97: 1471–1478., , , , .