Fax: (301) 435-9225
Reflections on programs designed to reduce cancer disparities†
Article first published online: 23 AUG 2006
Published 2006 by the American Cancer Society
Supplement: The Special Populations Networks: Achievements and Lessons Learned 2000–2005
Volume 107, Issue Supplement 8, pages 1936–1938, 15 October 2006
How to Cite
Haynes, M. A. (2006), Reflections on programs designed to reduce cancer disparities. Cancer, 107: 1936–1938. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22163
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Issue published online: 3 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 23 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 5 APR 2006
- 1SmedleyBD, StithAY, NelsonAR, Institute of Medicine (U.S.), eds. Committee on understanding and eliminating racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2003.
- 2U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Public Health Service Act. Available at www.fda.gov/opacom/laws/phsvcact/phsvcact.htm Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 3Regional medical programs: No road to regionalization. Med Care Rev. 1969; 26: 1125–1166..
- 4U.S. National Library of Medicine. Regional Medical Programs. Available at http://rmp.nlm.nih.gov/RM/ Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 5United States President's Commission on Heart Disease, Cancer and Stroke. Report to the President; A national program to conquer heart disease, cancer and stroke. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare; 1964.
- 6National Cancer Institute. The National Cancer Act of 1971. Available at http://www3.cancer.gov/legis/1971canc.html Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 7National Center for Health Statistics. New Report on Declining Cancer Incidence and Death Rates; Report Shows Progress in Controlling Cancer. Available at www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/98news/cancer.htm Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 8National Cancer Institute, Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. Special Populations Networks. Available at http://crchd.nci.nih.gov/initiatives/spn/ Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 9National Black Leadership Initiative on Cancer II. National Black Leadership Initiative on Cancer II: Network Project. Available at www.nblic.org/welcome.htm Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 10National Hispanic Leadership Initiative on Cancer: En Acción. Available at http://enaccion.bcm.tmc.edu/ Accessed January 17, 2006.
- 12AdayLA, ed. Reinventing Public Health: Policies and Practices for a Healthy Nation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 2005.