Fax: (617) 632-1930
A cancer and leukemia group B study
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Volume 107, Issue 11, pages 2706–2714, 1 December 2006
How to Cite
Kornblith, A. B., Dowell, J. M., Herndon, J. E., Engelman, B. J., Bauer-Wu, S., Small, E. J., Morrison, V. A., Atkins, J., Cohen, H. J. and Holland, J. C. (2006), Telephone monitoring of distress in patients aged 65 years or older with advanced stage cancer. Cancer, 107: 2706–2714. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22296
This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Published in abstract form in Kornblith AB, Dowell JM, Herndon II JE, et al. Telephone monitoring: early identification of psychological, physical and social distress in older advanced stage cancer patients. Psychooncology. 2006; 15:S21-S22. Abstract VIII.
The content of this article is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Cancer Institute.
The authors dedicate this article to the memory of Ms. Sylvia Rosenberg, who served as an extraordinary telephone monitor in the study.
The following institutions participated in this study, listed with their grant support: CALGB Statistical Center, Durham, NC (Stephen George, PhD; supported by National Cancer Institute [NCI] Grant CA33601); Christiana Care Health Services, Inc. Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP), Wilmington, DE (Stephen Grubbs, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA45418); Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA (George P Canellos, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA32291); Dartmouth Medical School-Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, NH (Marc S. Ernstoff, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA04326); Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC (Jeffrey Crawford, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA47577); Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY (Clifford Hudis, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA77651); Missouri Baptist Medical Center, St. Louis, MO (Alan P. Lyss, MD); Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH (Clara D Bloomfield, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA77658); Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY (Ellis Levine, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA02599); Southeast Cancer Control Consortium Inc. CCOP, Goldsboro, NC (James N. Atkins, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA45808); State University of New York-Upstate Medical University, Syracuse NY (Stephen L. Graziano, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA21060); University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA (Stephen L. Seagren, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA11789; University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA (Alan P. Venook, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA60138); University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL (Gini Fleming, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA41287); University of Illinois Minority-Based, CCOP, Chicago, IL (Lawrence E. Feldman, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA74811); University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (Bruce A Peterson, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA16450); University of Missouri/Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, Columbia, MO (Michael C. Perry, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA12046); University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC (Thomas C. Shea, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA47559); Vermont Cancer Center, Burlington, VT (Hyman B. Muss, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA77406); Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC (David D Hurd, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA03927); Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC (Thomas Reid, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA26806); Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO (Nancy Bartlett, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA77440); Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY (Scott Wadler, MD; supported by NCI Grant CA07968); and Western Pennsylvania Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA (Richard K. Shadduck, MD).
- Issue online: 17 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 6 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2006
- National Cancer Institute (NCI). Grant Numbers: CA31946, CA33601, CA60138, CA16450, CA45808, CA47577
- CALGB Foundation
- 5The complexity of chronic illness in the elderly: from clinic to community. In: WallaceRB, WoolsonRF, editors. The Epidemiologic Study of the Elderly. New York: Oxford University Press; 1992: 10–19., .
- 8The impact of disease on the social support experiences of cancer patients. J Psychosoc Oncol. 1990; 8: 79–95., .
- 10Social networks and social support among the elderly: assessment issues. In: WallaceRB, WoolsonRF, editors. The Epidemiologic Study of the Elderly. New York: Oxford University Press; 1992: 196–212., , .
- 15Depression: diagnosis and comorbidity. In: SchneiderLS, ReynoldsCF, LebowitzBD, FriedhoffAJ, editors. Diagnosis and Treatment of Depression in Late Life. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press; 1994: 55–59..
- 18National Cancer Institute. Taking time: support for people with cancer and the people who care about them. NIH Pub. No. 93–2059. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute; 1993.
- 19National Cancer Institute. Eating hints for cancer patients. NIH Pub. No. 97–2079. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute; 1997.
- 20Cancer Care, Inc. A Helping Hand: A Resource Guide for People with Cancer. 2nd ed. New York: Cancer Care, Inc.; 1998.
- 21National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations. Breast Cancer Resource List, 1997/1998 edition. New York: National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations; 1997.
- 22American Foundation for Urological Disease, Inc. Prostate Cancer Resource Guide. Baltimore: American Foundation for Urological Disease, Inc.; 1997.
- 23Colon and Rectal Cancer: A Guide for Patients and Families. Beijing: O'Reilly; 2000..
- 28Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clin Gerontol. 1986; 5(1–2): 165–173., .
- 29The short form of the Geriatric Depression Scale: a comparison with the 30-item form. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 1991; 3: 173–178., , .
- 32Multidimensional Functional Assessment of Older Adults: The Duke Older Americans Resources and Services procedures. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum; 1988..
- 35A sociodemographic data collection model for cooperative clinical trials. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1992: 11: 157. Abstract 445., , , et al.