Fax: (617) 638-8026
Improving follow-up to abnormal breast cancer screening in an urban population†
A patient navigation intervention
Article first published online: 22 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Supplement: Exploring Models to Eliminate Cancer Disparities Among African American and Latino Populations: Research and Community Solutions
Volume 109, Issue Supplement 2, pages 359–367, 15 January 2007
How to Cite
Battaglia, T. A., Roloff, K., Posner, M. A. and Freund, K. M. (2007), Improving follow-up to abnormal breast cancer screening in an urban population. Cancer, 109: 359–367. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22354
Presented at Exploring Models to Eliminate Cancer Disparities Among African American and Latino Populations: Research and Community Solutions, Atlanta, GA, April 21–22, 2005.
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 22 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 19 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2006
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health (BIRCWH) Faculty Scholar Award. Grant Number: K12-HD43444
- ACS Career Development Award. Grant Number: CCCDA-03-228-01
- Avon Foundation
- 1RiesLE, EisnerMP, KosaryCL, et al., eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975–2000. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2003.
- 12Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Evidence report and evidence-based recommendations: Cancer prevention and treatment demonstration for ethnic and racial minorities. Bethesda, MD: United States Department of Health and Human Services; 2003.
- 14Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS). Breast health patient navigator resource kit; 2002. Available at www.hanys.org. Accessed August 15, 2005.
- 15Cancer and Elders of Color: Opportunities for Reducing Health Disparities. Aldershot, Hampshire, England: Ashgate; 2005., ,
- 16National Institutes of Health. Patient navigation research program; 2004. Available from http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-CA-05-019.html. Accessed August 2005.
- 17Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade. Available at www.avoncompany.com/women/avoncrusade/2005_BC_funding_guidelines.pdf. Accessed August 28, 2005.
- 19Coordination and Communication. In: ShortellSK, KaluznyAD, eds. Health Care Management: Organization Design and Behavior, 4th edn. Albany, NY: Delmar Publishers; 2000: 237–275., .
- 21SAS Institute. SAS release 8.02. Cary, NC: SAS Institute; 1999–2001.
- 38Institute of Medicine. Crossing the Quality Chiasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2001.
- 39The role of case management in disease management. In: ToddWE, NashE, eds. Disease Management: A Systems Approach to Improving Patient Outcomes. Chicago, IL: American Hospital Publishing; 1997: 235–259., .
- 41Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Cancer Prevention and Treatment Demonstration for Ethnic and Racial Minorities 2005. Available at www.cms.hhs.gov/researchers/demos/CPTD/FRN12_23_04.pdf.
- 42United States Senate. House Committee Report. Patient Navigator Outreach and Chronic Disease Prevention Act of 2005, 109th Congress, 1st session, 2005.
- 43United States Senate. House Committee Report. Patient Navigator Outreach and Chronic Disease Prevention Act of 2003, 108th Congress, 1st session, 2003.