Fax: (803) 254-8984
Racial disparities in colon cancer†
Primary care endoscopy as a tool to increase screening rates among minority patients
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 American Cancer Society
Supplement: Exploring Models to Eliminate Cancer Disparities Among African American and Latino Populations: Research and Community Solutions
Volume 109, Issue Supplement 2, pages 378–385, 15 January 2007
How to Cite
Lloyd, S. C., Harvey, N. R., Hebert, J. R., Daguise, V., Williams, D. and Scott, D. B. (2007), Racial disparities in colon cancer. Cancer, 109: 378–385. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22362
Presented at Exploring Models to Eliminate Cancer Disparities Among African American and Latino Populations: Research and Community Solutions, Atlanta, GA, April 21–22, 2005.
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2006
- 1Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Colorectal Cancer: The Importance of Prevention and Early Detection 2001. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2001.
- 2American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures, 2006. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society; 2006.
- 3Colorectal cancer disparities in South Carolina: Early detection, special programs, and descriptive epidemiology. eJ S C Med Assoc. 2005; 101: e207–e211., , , et al.
- 5Colorectal cancer in African Americans. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005; 100: 515–523., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 7South Carolina Cancer Registry Incidence (finalmast2004-stat) and Mortality (cancermortality9603-stat) Files. Columbia, SC: Office of Public Health, Statistics, and Information Services, Department of Health and Environmental Control; 2004.
- 8Seeking cecums…through the looking glass. eJ S C Med Assoc. 2003; 99: 127–131..
- 12Governor's Taskforce for Colorectal Cancer. Colorectal cancer screening statistics in four rural South Carolina counties. Unpublished report. Columbia, SC: Governor's Taskforce for Colorectal Cancer; 2000.
- 13Screening for colorectal cancer on the front line. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003; 98: 915–923., , , , .Direct Link:
- 17Kaiser State Health Facts. Available at http://www.statehealthfacts.kff.org. Accessed on August 24, 2005.
- 18U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for oral cancer. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf/uspsoral.htm. Accessed on June 10, 2005.
- 25House Resolution Current Resolution 4756, 114th General Assembly, Regular Session (South Carolina 2002).
- 27Secrets of a bustling gastrointestinal center. Outpatient Surgery Magazine. 2004; Aug:30..
- 33Endoscopic perforation of the colon: Lessons from a 10-year study. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 3418–3422., , .Direct Link:
- 38http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-09/acog-crm090304.php. Accessed on September 10, 2004.. Colonoscopy remains most sensitive, best test for colorectal cancer screening. Available at
- 41Colorectal cancer disparities in South Carolina: Descriptive epidemiology, screening, special programs, and future direction. J S C Med Assoc. 2006; 102: 212–220., , , et al.
- 42The healing arts: Bringing colon cancer screening to the masses through faith-based initiatives. Poster presented at the ACS Health Disparities Conference, Atlanta, 2005., , .