D. P. Lubeck is an employee of and owns stock in Genentech. E. A. Perez receives research grant support from Genentech, Bristol, Sanofi-Aventis, Novartis, Glaxo, Elli Lilly, Astra Zeneca, Pfizer, and Onyx, and has received honoraria for consulting from Bristol, Genentech, and Glaxo in the last year. L. P. Garrison Jr has been a consultant to Genentech and Roche. D. Lalla is an employee of and owns stock in Genentech. V. Paton is an employee of Genentech.
Cost-effectiveness analysis of trastuzumab in the adjuvant setting for treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer
Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 110, Issue 3, pages 489–498, 1 August 2007
How to Cite
Garrison, L. P., Lubeck, D., Lalla, D., Paton, V., Dueck, A. and Perez, E. A. (2007), Cost-effectiveness analysis of trastuzumab in the adjuvant setting for treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer. Cancer, 110: 489–498. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22806
- Issue online: 18 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 25 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 16 MAR 2007
- Manuscript Received: 22 DEC 2006
- Genentech and the University of Washington with unrestricted publication rights
- Genentech and Mayo Clinic coauthors provided raw data, reviewed the model and assumptions, and commented on article drafts
- University of Washington carried out all analyses and interpreted data and results independently
- 8Phase III randomized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel and trastuzumab with docetaxel, carboplatin and trastuzumab in HER2-positive early breast cancer patients: BCIRG 006 study [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: S5., , , et al.
- 9Interim cardiac safety analysis of NCCTG N9831 Intergroup adjuvant trastuzumab trial [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 17s., , , et al.
- 10Assessment of cardiac dysfunction in a randomized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel, with or without trastuzumab as adjuvant therapy in node-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-overexpressing breast cancer: NSABP B-31. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7811–7819., , , et al.
- 11Exploratory analysis from NCCTG N9831: Do clinical and laboratory characteristics predict cardiac toxicity of trastuzumab when administered as a component of adjuvant therapy [abstract]? Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: S96., , , et al.
- 15Cost-benefit estimates of adjuvant trastuzumab for early breast cancer [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: S93., .
- 16Clinical and cost-effectiveness implications of adjuvant trastuzumab in HER2-positive breast cancer trials [abstract]. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: S219..
- 17Trastuzumab in adjuvant breast cancer: A model based cost-effectiveness analysis [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 34s., .
- 18Estimating the real cost of adjuvant trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive early stage breast cancer [abstract]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 320s., , , , , .
- 20Danish National Board of Health. Trastuzumab (Herceptin) as adjuvant treatment of early breast cancer after surgical treatment. Preliminary report. Health Technology Assessment of Cancer Drugs 1: Available at: http://www.sundhedsstyrelsen.dk/upload/planlaegning_og_behandling/cemtv/mtv_af_nye_kr%C3%A6ftl%C3%A6gemidler/herceptin_en/herceptin_en.pdf, 2005.
- 21National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Trastuzumab for the adjuvant treatment of early-stage HER2-positive breast cancer. Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/TA107, 2006.
- 23Centers for Medicare and Medicaid. Available at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/, 2006.
- 24Analysource Online. Available at: http://www.analysource.com, 2006.
- 30Doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab as adjuvant therapy for patients with HER2-positive operable breast cancer: Combined analysis of NSABP B-31 and NCCTG N9831. Presented at the 41st Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Orlando, FL, 2005., , , et al.
- 31US Department of Labor: US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Available at: http://www.bls.gov/ [accessed February 15, 2006].
- 32United States Department of the Treasury: Internal Revenue Service. Available at: http://www.irs.gov/, [accessed December 15, 2005].
- 35United States life tables, 2002. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2004; 53: 1–38..
- 43HER2 testing in breast cancer: NCCN Task Force report and recommendations. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2006; 4( suppl 3): S1–S22., , , et al.