The authors of this article contributed as follows: Dr. Spiegel had full access to all data in the study and takes responsibility for data integrity and data analysis accuracy; Study concept and design: Spiegel, Fobair, Carlson, Kraemer; Data acquisition: Spiegel, Butler, Giese-Davis, Miller, Classen, Fobair; Data analysis and interpretation: Spiegel, Giese-Davis, Butler, Koopman, DiMiceli, Carlson, Kraemer; Drafting of the manuscript: Spiegel, Butler, Giese-Davis; Critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content: Spiegel, Butler, Giese-Davis, Koopman, Miller, DiMiceli, Classen, Fobair, Carlson; Statistical analysis: Giese-Davis, Butler, Koopman, DiMiceli, Kraemer; Funding acquisition: Spiegel, Butler, Koopman, Giese-Davis; Administrative, technical, or material support: Miller, Carlson; Study supervision: Spiegel, Butler, Koopman, Carlson.
Effects of supportive-expressive group therapy on survival of patients with metastatic breast cancer†‡§
A randomized prospective trial
Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 110, Issue 5, pages 1130–1138, 1 September 2007
How to Cite
Spiegel, D., Butler, L. D., Giese-Davis, J., Koopman, C., Miller, E., DiMiceli, S., Classen, C. C., Fobair, P., Carlson, R. W. and Kraemer, H. C. (2007), Effects of supportive-expressive group therapy on survival of patients with metastatic breast cancer. Cancer, 110: 1130–1138. doi: 10.1002/cncr.22890
The study sponsors had no role in the design and conduct of the study, collection, management, analysis, interpretation of the data, or preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript.
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00226928. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov
This article was presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, May 20, 2006, Toronto, Canada.
- Issue online: 20 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 APR 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 10 APR 2007
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2007
- National Institute for Mental Health. Grant Number: 5R01MH047226
- National Cancer Institute
- American Cancer Society. Grant Number: PF-4185
- The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Fetzer Institute
- 11A randomized controlled trial of psychotherapeutic intervention in cancer patients. Ann R Coll Phys Surg Can. 1994; 27: 93–96., , , .
- 19Psychological interventions for women with metastatic breast cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004: CD004253. Comment in: Evid Based Nurs. 2004; 7: 110., , .
- 26Group Therapy for Cancer Patients: A Research-Based Handbook of Psychosocial Care. New York: Basic Books; 2000., .
- 27Trance and Treatment: Clinical Uses of Hypnosis. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2004., .
- 32Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group (EBCTCG). Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet. 2005; 365: 1687–1717. Comments in: ACP J Club. 2005; 143: 58. Lancet. 2005; 365: 1665–1666.
- 43Dietary fat reduction in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer: Phase III Women's Intervention Nutrition Study (WINS) [abstract]. ASCO Meeting Abstracts. 2005; 23: 10., , , et al.
- 48Enhancing women's lives: the role of support groups among breast cancer patients. J Spec Group Work. 1999; 24: 274–287., .