Fax: (713) 794–4385.
Preoperative chemotherapy treatment of breast cancer—A review
Article first published online: 16 OCT 2007
Copyright © 2007 American Cancer Society
Volume 110, Issue 11, pages 2394–2407, 1 December 2007
How to Cite
Buzdar, A. U. (2007), Preoperative chemotherapy treatment of breast cancer—A review. Cancer, 110: 2394–2407. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23083
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 16 OCT 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Received: 24 APR 2007
- 10Surgical margin evaluation in patients treated with breast-conserving therapy. In: SingletarySE,RobbG,HortobagyiRN, eds. Advanced Therapy of Breast Disease,2nd ed. Hamilton, Ontario, Canada: BC Decker Inc.; 2004: 341–348..
- 13A prospective randomized multicenter gene expression study of docetaxel vs doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide preoperative trial in primary breast cancers. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23(pt I of II): 16S. Abstract 544., , , et al.
- 14Gene expression profiles as predictors of response to neoadjuvant Taxotere and Adriamycin/cytoxan: a prospective randomized multicenter trial in breast cancer. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94( suppl 1): 304., , , et al.
- 15Paclitaxel alone and in combination with radiation therapy as neoadjuvant approach to locally advanced breast cancer (LABC): clinical and pathological response. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2001; 20: 39b. Abstract 1902., , .
- 17Phase II trial of neoadjuvant docetaxel with or without bevacizumab in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2004; 88: 2088., , , et al.
- 18Toxicity results and early outcome data on a randomized phase II study of docetaxel ± bevacizumab for locally advanced, unresectable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24(pt I): 18S. Abstract 3049., , , et al.
- 22Frequent pathologic complete responses seen with neoadjuvant q4week carboplatin and weekly paclitaxel ± weekly trastuzumab in resectable and locally advanced breast cancer: a Brown University Oncology Group (BrUOG) study. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94( suppl 1): 5054., , , et al.
- 24A multicenter randomized phase II study of 4 or 6 cycles of Adriamycin/taxol (paclitaxel) AT as neoadjuvant treatment of breast cancer (BC). Ann Oncol. 2002; 13( suppl 5): 33–34. Abstract 118., , .
- 25Six versus 3 cycles of epirubicin/docetaxel + G-CSF in operable breast cancer: results of ABCSG-14. J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 14S. Abstract 553., , , et al.
- 26[Clinical evaluation of effects from neoadjuvant chemotherapy with epirubicin plus paclitaxel in cases of locally advanced breast cancer—comparative study of treatment with 2 and 4 cycles]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2004; 31: 205–208., , , et al.
- 27Dose and time intensified epirubicin/cyclophosphamide (EC) as preoperative treatment in locally advanced breast cancer. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002; 76: 154., , , et al.
- 31Randomized trial of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in operable breast cancer comparing Adriamycin-cyclophosphamide (CPM)-5FU (ACF) versus thiotepa-CPM-5FU (TCF). Ann Oncol. 2000; 11( suppl 4): 24. Abstract 97PD., , .
- 33Prognostic factors in locally advanced breast carcinoma (LABC): randomized phase-II trial of 5-fluorouracil, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide (FAC) vs. cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil (CMF). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2003; 22: 73. Abstract 293., , , et al.
- 34Final results of a randomized phase III trial comparing cyclophosphamide, epirubicin, and fluorouracil with a dose-intensified epirubicin and cyclophosphamide + filgrastim as neoadjuvant treatment in locally advanced breast cancer: an EORTC-NCIC-SAKK multicenter study. J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 843–850., , , et al.
- 35Intensified anthracycline doses do not improve clinical and pathological responses to neoadjuvant FEC for operable breast cancer (BC): results of a multicenter randomized trial. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2002; 21: 64a. Abstract 254., , , et al.
- 36A phase III randomized trial of dose-intensive, neoadjuvant 5FU, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide (FAC) with G-CSF (filgrastim) in locally advanced breast cancer (LABC)-efficacy and safety data. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 1999: 18; 74a. Abstract 278., , , et al.
- 41A phase II study of neoadjuvant docetaxel/carboplatin with or without trastuzumab in locally advanced breast cancer: response and cardiotoxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 18S. Abstract 10515., , , et al.
- 44The effect on tumor response of adding sequential preoperative docetaxel to preoperative doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: preliminary results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol B-27. J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 4165–4174., , , et al.
- 45Doxorubicin with cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel every 21 days compared with doxorubicin and docetaxel every 14 days as preoperative treatment in operable breast cancer: the Gepar-DUO study of the German Breast Group. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 2676–2685., , , et al.
- 49A phase II randomized study to compare the neoadjuvant administration of docetaxel and vinorelbine or docetaxel followed by Adriamycin and cytoxan with all chemotherapy administered in a dose dense fashion to women with stage II and stage III breast cancer. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94( suppl 1): 5055., , , et al.
- 51Dose-dense sequential epirubicin-paclitaxel as preoperative treatment of breast cancer: results of a randomized AGO study. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol. 2002; 21: 34a. Abstract 133., , .
- 54Comparison of neoadjuvant 6 vs 8 cycles of docetaxel/doxorubicin/cyclophosphamide (TAC) in patients early responding to TAC×2-the Gepar-TRIO Study. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 18S. Abstract 576., , , et al.
- 55The use of alternate, non-cross-resistant adjuvant chemotherapy on the basis of pathologic response to a neoadjuvant doxorubicin-based regimen in women with operable breast cancer: long-term results from a prospective randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 2294–2302., , , et al.
- 57Significantly higher pathologic complete remission rate after neoadjuvant therapy with trastuzumab, paclitaxel, and epirubicin chemotherapy: results of a randomized trial in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 3676–3685., , , et al.
- 58Neoadjuvant therapy with paclitaxel followed by FEC chemotherapy and concurrent trastuzumab in HER2-positive operable breast cancer: an update of the initial randomized study population and data of additional patients treated with the same regimen. Clin Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 228–233., , , et al.
- 61A phase II trial of 2 different sequences of neoadjuvant doxorubicin/paclitaxel (AT) and cisplatin/paclitaxel (CT) in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Expression of markers over time. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2003; 82( suppl 1): S57. Abstract 246., , .
- 63A new measurement of residual cancer burden to predict survival after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 18S. Abstract 536., , , et al.
- 661993., , inventors. Epothilone: deren herstellungsverfahren sowie sie enthaltende mittel. German Patent No. DE4138042.
- 71A randomized phase II study of epothilone analog BMS-247550 in patients (pts) with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who have failed first-line platinum-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2003; 22: 626. Abstract 2519., , , et al.
- 72A translational study of ixabepilone (BMS-247550) in renal cell cancer (RCC): assessment of its activity and demonstration of target engagement in tumor cells. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 388S. Abstract 4541., , , et al.
- 73Targeting the microtubule apparatus in indolent and mantle cell lymphoma with the novel epothilone analog BMS 247550 induces major and durable remissions in very drug resistant disease. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 577s. Abstract 6569., , , et al.
- 75Phase II trial of ixabepilone in patients with metastatic breast cancer (MBC) who are resistant to an anthracycline, a taxane and capecitabine. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 18S. Abstract 660., , , et al.
- 76Efficacy of patupilone in advanced local or metastatic gastric cancer: a phase IIa trial. J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 18S. Abstract 4069., , , et al.
- 77A phase II study of KOS-862 (epothilone D) in anthracycline and taxane pretreated metastatic breast cancer: updated results. [Abstract.] Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: 1087., , , et al.
- 78A phase II study of KOS-862 (epothilone D) as second-line therapy in non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 16S. Abstract 7127., , , et al.
- 81The Pat-21 breast cancer model derived from a patient with primary Taxol® resistance recapitulates the phenotype of its origin, has altered β-tubulin expression and is sensitive to ixabepilone. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res. 2006; 47. Abstract LB-280., , , et al.
- 83Predicting response to ixabepilone: genomics study in patients receiving single agent ixabepilone as neoadjuvant treatment for breast cancer (BC). Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005; 94: S31. Abstract 305., , , et al.
- 84Predictive biomarker discovery and validation for the targeted chemotherapeutic ixabepilone. J Clin Oncol (ASCO Annual Meeting Proc). 2006; 24; 18S. Abstract 3011., , , et al.
- 85Ixabepilone, an epothilone analog, is effective in ER-, PR-, HER-negative (triple negative) patients: data from neoadjuvant and metastatic breast cancer trials. Ann Oncol. 2006; 17( suppl 9): ix97. Abstract 256-P., , , et al.